• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trae Young - The Case for Rookie of the Year

NBASupes

• 1 month later...

A recent interview with Pierce in Slam:

http://www.slamonline.com/nba/atlanta-hawks-pushing-trae-young-to-become-a-dual-threat/

I just can't ever see Icetrae being a lock-down defender...I am hoping he becomes more active on Defense, continues to add some strength over the next 3 seasons, learns to read the passing lanes, and begins disrupting via steals. All those things will make a difference, but no one would call him a dual threat due to the improvements. 

What do you all think?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, enrique said:

A recent interview with Pierce in Slam:

http://www.slamonline.com/nba/atlanta-hawks-pushing-trae-young-to-become-a-dual-threat/

I just can't ever see Icetrae being a lock-down defender...I am hoping he becomes more active on Defense, continues to add some strength over the next 3 seasons, learns to read the passing lanes, and begins disrupting via steals. All those things will make a difference, but no one would call him a dual threat due to the improvements. 

What do you all think?

John Stockton level defender is what I am hoping for. Shot contest, scrappy, elite at reading the defense like he does on offense. Great off ball defense. He showed flashes as a rookie but it's possession by possession in the NBA. He has the lateral quickness. He is not a shrivel. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
17 hours ago, NBASupes said:

John Stockton level defender is what I am hoping for. Shot contest, scrappy, elite at reading the defense like he does on offense. Great off ball defense. He showed flashes as a rookie but it's possession by possession in the NBA. He has the lateral quickness. He is not a shrivel. 

Stockton had exceptional strength, toughness, quickness, effort and fundamentals.  He wasn't a shutdown defender but Trae has such a long way to go to match Stockton.  I'll take the PG version of Kyle Korver and be happy (i.e., defensive sieve who became a solid if unexceptional defender based on his fundamentals and ability to read play development).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, AHF said:

Stockton had exceptional strength, toughness, quickness, effort and fundamentals.  He wasn't a shutdown defender but Trae has such a long way to go to match Stockton.  I'll take the PG version of Kyle Korver and be happy (i.e., defensive sieve who became a solid if unexceptional defender based on his fundamentals and ability to read play development).

Stockton was also a cheap a$$ mafker in the modern way that Grayson Allen is it’s just it was more acceptable back in the day.

Stockton was your premier cheap shot artist in the most respected way possible. He would trip you, scratch you and punch you or whatever it took to win.

Trae will do the same or I’m hoping.

In watching basketball for 35+ years.. only Magic Johnson and Jason Kidd are in the same boat as Trae as far as vision. Neither Zeke nor Stockton had the Trae vision imo.

• Moderators

Zeke was never in that class of passers.  If Trae finishes his career with half as many assists as Stockton he’ll finish as #13 in NBA history.  I wouldn’t confuse Stockton’s precision with a lack of vision.

5 hours ago, AHF said:

I agree 100% but still hoping for it.

4 hours ago, AHF said:

Zeke was never in that class of passers.  If Trae finishes his career with half as many assists as Stockton he’ll finish as #13 in NBA history.  I wouldn’t confuse Stockton’s precision with a lack of vision.

Vision and decision making precision are separate categories. No one in NBA history was as great a decision making as Stockton. I know CP3 strives to be and is one of the ATGs at it but Stockton right up there at the top to me.

As for vision, for me it's Nash, Pistol, Magic, Kidd and Trae. I like Lonzo vision as well. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Vision and decision making precision are separate categories. No one in NBA history was as great a decision making as Stockton. I know CP3 strives to be and is one of the ATGs at it but Stockton right up there at the top to me.

As for vision, for me it's Nash, Pistol, Magic, Kidd and Trae. I like Lonzo vision as well. 

I just think Stockton had both but under Jerry Sloan he followed his coach's directive and favored low risk options over the more spectacular, higher risk plays.  You can see him make pin point cross-court passes at times that I think would have led to more highlights like the higher TO PGs you have listed had his coach emphasized uptempo play over the PnR (all of those points you listed excelled in fast paced systems that breed more spectacular passes and plays as a matter of course).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Trae getting ready to dunk on people 😁.

Funny u mentioned that because I was playing 2k and had him on a 1-0 break off a steal and slammed the crap out of it! I was like..

SPUDDDDDD! I know he’s 5 or 6 inches taller than Spud but he still looks small out there and it’s cool when he throws one ☝🏾 down from time to time to get the team going! 💕 it!

• Haha 3