• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

What if the plan is....

Diesel

Huerter and Hunter will start, Baze is gone to open minutes for them and Reddish and Bembry. 

I think Hill will barely play, perhaps as backup PF if Spellman do not perform. However I do see a role for Crabbe, at least at the beginning as the shooter of the 2nd unit, Bembry canot score too much and I doubt Reddish make an impact on day 1.

7 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

Huerter and Hunter will start, Baze is gone to open minutes for them and Reddish and Bembry. 

I think Hill will barely play, perhaps as backup PF if Spellman do not perform. However I do see a role for Crabbe, at least at the beginning as the shooter of the 2nd unit, Bembry canot score too much and I doubt Reddish make an impact on day 1.

Can Crabbe handle the ball? Idk his game at all, will he fulfill a TP type role?

Ahora, mcleitsy dijo:

Can Crabbe handle the ball? Idk his game at all, will he fulfill a TP type role?

He is a shooter, with beloe average handling and Passing but so was Bazemore, he scores on jumpers, pull-ups after dribbling and cuts to the basket but he can score in other ways, injuries has cut his consistency but when healthy for an extended period he can be a very valuable player. Defense is not his strength neither.

• Like 1

Hunter will win the starting SF job unless Reddish absolutely crushes late summer workouts, scrimmages, and the preseason. Young/Huerter/Hunter/Collins/Len will be your starting 5 assuming Dedmon doesn't return. I tried for a few minutes to make out a rotation and I can't make head or tail of it, the trade for Turner doesn't really make much sense (you really can't play Bembry much with him, so you lose some of Bembry's annoying defense on opposing players).

Reddish will start coming into his own in the last couple weeks of 2019 and by the last couple months of 19/20, could end up forcing a decision on starters, or you could end up just playing him for 28-30 minutes off the bench going forward (more if his offense is better than what we're getting from C or Hunter).

• Like 1

Diesel is correct.  What if is a game we all play in our mind.  What if those picks the Hawks gave up to jump to 4 turn out to be real stars and Hunter is a flop?  Scary to think this way, isn't it.  Yet, we do.

We now have to trust the GM and his scouting crew.  They knew who they wanted when they went to #4 and we also know that they waited, with fingers crossed, hoping their man would still be there at #10 - And he was !

Right now, as a Hawk fan, I believe Hunter was worth the gamble.  If our #10 selection turns out to be better than some of the other 9 taken before him, then the teams that passed on him will be po'ed.  That's just the way the draft works.  You don't really know how well you did until much later.

:cool:

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

Hunter will win the starting SF job unless Reddish absolutely crushes late summer workouts, scrimmages, and the preseason. Young/Huerter/Hunter/Collins/Len will be your starting 5 assuming Dedmon doesn't return. I tried for a few minutes to make out a rotation and I can't make head or tail of it, the trade for Turner doesn't really make much sense (you really can't play Bembry much with him, so you lose some of Bembry's annoying defense on opposing players).

Reddish will start coming into his own in the last couple weeks of 2019 and by the last couple months of 19/20, could end up forcing a decision on starters, or you could end up just playing him for 28-30 minutes off the bench going forward (more if his offense is better than what we're getting from C or Hunter).

Hunter is NOT a 3. Cam is. I can't wait till the preseason. Cam gonna bust everyone ass and don't say I didn't tell you so

Edited by NBASupes

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Diesel said:

Naw.  Those are players you're talking about... not numbers.  If Jaxson, Walker, or Marcos turn out to be something or worse something better than Hunter...   Then everything done is in question.  So there's a lot riding on how good Hunter becomes.  Because if he is a bust or if 2 of these 3 guys are better than him then that would mean that our tanking was for nothing. 

It is numbers though, because neither team knew for sure what would be available at 8, 17, or 35. They got three players, we got one - so you only give up two players. You also assume that we would draft the same guys they did. If anybody beyond 4 is better than Hunter it seems that you’d be disappointed. It’s like when people criticize the Hawks for passing on Doncic, when we got the second best rookie of that class and Reddish out of it. Phoenix and Sacramento passed on him too, and neither of their players are as good as Trae (and they didn’t gain another lottery pick either). Drafting is complicated, I trust what our GM has done to this point.

• Like 1

Strange thing that I have heard more than once as I watched all these interviews posted on here and elsewhere: Before the college season began, many thought that Cam Reddish was the best player.  He would be the #1 draft pick.

Two things happened.  He was playing with two featured players.  Add to this the fact that he was injured early and was never 100% healthy and he got lost in the shuffle. 

His size and talent hasn't changed.  Surgery and rehab should have fixed his worst problem and that leaves the Hawks as the big winner.  The #4 pick and the #10 pick who, a year earlier, would have been #1...

Are you excited about the upcoming season yet?  If not, just wait !!

:air_kiss:

• Like 2

• Premium Member
21 hours ago, Diesel said:

What if the plan is to start Hill and Crabbe.. and bring the young guys along slowly...

Well, we do have some precedent for that.... depending, that is, on how you define the term "slowly"....

Lin played quite a bit as I recall, and particularly so when Trae hit some of his deeper lows.

Huerter's minutes incementally increased over time.

So, for the first couple of months, I could easily imagine those two getting serious minutes and maybe some starts.... assuming that is.... that both would be healthy, [EDIT] AND SOBER WHEN DRIVING which of course has been an issue.

If either or both are less than healthy, I don't see what would prevent them from being cut since at that point they're only taking up roster slots.

• Moderators

I like Prince and wish him well.  That said the Hawks will not miss him and remember there is no way we were going to pay him anyway.   Prince and Baze going fits with what Travis has said from the beginning.  Playmakers!  Prince and Baze were not playmakers.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I like Prince and wish him well.  That said the Hawks will not miss him and remember there is no way we were going to pay him anyway.   Prince and Baze going fits with what Travis has said from the beginning.  Playmakers!  Prince and Baze were not playmakers.

Agree and disagree.

It was about the money.

Two off-seasons from now, I could easily imagine a reunion with Prince if there's a rotational slot open on the roster.

Schlenk on Prince: "He fits that identity with how we want to play with his ability to shoot the ball. I’ve stated this many times, and I honestly believe this, he’s one of the best spot-up shooters in the NBA. That’s what every team is looking for, so I have no problem with Taurean as a player, and I can see him being a part of this team.”

If Hill stays with us, Lloyd would love him. Scrappy defensive glue guy who does what it takes to win. He’s a couple years removed from playing his best ball but a pit bull on D is always a pit bull on D, it doesn’t go away, much like shooting. Well, the wear n tear on the knees but F it.

On 6/25/2019 at 12:39 PM, Diesel said:

What if the plan is to start Hill and Crabbe.. and bring the young guys along slowly...

Uh...welcome back krazy kat. Have missed your colorful conversation. This is a nice example of such

• Haha 1

On 6/25/2019 at 1:58 PM, Diesel said:

???

I'll try to decipher.  

First off, we got Hunter before we knew we could get Cam.. Nobody thought that Cam would drop to 10.   so that wasn't the plan.   I can't do anything with the part where you say longterm.   Let's say that Jaxson and NAW are better.   Let's say Nurkic and Clarkson to Aaron Gordon Better.  The trade would be wrongheaded.

"Nobody thought that Cam would drop to 10."  

This statement isn't true at all.  Several mocks had him higher than 10.