• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Free Agency 2019

JayBirdHawk

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

The centers being mentioned have nothing left in the tank if you are referring to Chandler Gasol types.  We may as well go into the season with what we have since we aren't trying to win.

They still give good minutes - just not nearly as many minutes as they used to play - and can teach players a lot.  I can see a role for a guy like that with a plan to start Len and feed Bruno and Spellman a few more minutes than their current abilities might otherwise dictate for a contending team.

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

no plan to contend this year.

Fixed it.

And there is a plan to sign a C. Per the article...Looney took less to stay with GSW....3yr/$15 mil.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

The playoffs aren't that difficult to make especially when you have the key players we have. Depth ain't never been a defining law to the playoffs. 

Yes and no.

Depends on injuries.

• Premium Member
38 minutes ago, AHF said:

Potential Frontcourt Targets Still Available:

Christian Wood

JaMychal Green

Trey Lyles

Dragan Bender

Kosta Koufos

Kenneth Faried

Amir Johnson

Jonas Jerebko

Tyler Zeller

Andrew Bogut

Pau Gasol

Tyson Chandler

and others.

There is a plan to contend.  It is not the plan to contend this year.  You bother to build for your window to contend.

You aren't building with those guys!  There is no logic behind what you guys are saying.  Those are stop gaps and very bad one at that.  I can't believe you have Zeller on that list?  The dollar store would be too embarrassed to put him on display. 

1 hour ago, thecampster said:

This is a very good thought line you have going here.  I think maybe the one aspect you aren't looking at is that we got taller/longer.  We were a disaster defensively last year.  Had we given up 5 less points a game we would have been .500.  Len starting is a hair longer/taller than Dedmon....Hunter is slightly taller/longer than Prince...Cam is definitely taller/longer than Baze. Evan Turner is much bigger than Lin/Adams.  Remember that Lin wasn't even on the roster for our best stretch of the season.  Turner is replacing Adams for that stretch and regardless of your feelings on Turner, he is a mile better, bigger than Adams. Parsons and Crabbe are also bigger/longer than anyone else we had at those spots.

One of the reasons veteran teams beat younger teams more often than not is physical size, weight and use of energy. We blew so much energy because we were small last year.  We are so much bigger it will show on defense, even if our offense is a bit slower. 

Yeah, I wasn't really sure how to capture the defensive end so this is more a look at replacing the offense that has been lost.  I'm optimistic about replacing Dedmon (with Len), Prince (with Hunter), Baze (Crabbe/Reddish), and Lin (Turner) but am a bit skeptical about replacing Len and Carter's production. And again, just one side of the ball so doesn't tell the whole story for sure. 

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

1st of all, the teams you are comparing won 29 games!  Secondly, you are not factoring in the bench.  Last year's bench was much better with guys like Bazemore, Lin, Len and Carter.  Thirdly, we don't know what we will get out of our rookie players.  Hunter may not be ready to start right away so there are too many questions with this to assume they will be competitive. And fourthly, we are dangerously thin up front and 1 key injury would be devastating.

I'm honestly not sure if you even read my post as I addressed nearly everything you are cited in the post. 

hace 45 minutos, AHF dijo:

Potential Frontcourt Targets Still Available:

Christian Wood

JaMychal Green

Trey Lyles

Dragan Bender

Kosta Koufos

Kenneth Faried

Amir Johnson

Jonas Jerebko

Tyler Zeller

Andrew Bogut

Pau Gasol

Tyson Chandler

and others.

There is a plan to contend.  It is not the plan to contend this year.  You bother to build for your window to contend.

From that list the only player I see to really contribute is Christian Wood. I would add Khem Birch, apart from those current available players do not help much to win, just depth, if we are going to add a veteran I would go with Gasol or Chandler.

Another player that played well at the end of last season is Noah, I wonder if we are looking at him.

• Premium Member
Just now, gurpilo said:

From that list the only player I see to really contribute is Christian Wood. I would add Khem Birch, apart from those current available players do not help much to win, just depth, if we are going to add a veteran I would go with Gasol or Chandler.

Another player that played well at the end of last season is Noah, I wonder if we are looking at him.

Is christian wood a free agent?  I thought New Orleans signed him last year!

1 hour ago, AHF said:

I think this is a clear signal that Schlen views this season as still building the foundation for the future and not the first year of trying to contend.  So that makes sense.  Someone with cap space will likely extract significant value and Schlenk aims to be that team.  

Adjust your expectations accordingly.

Don't disagree entirely, but would add that, to me, there's a difference in "not the first year of trying to contend" and "trying not to make the playoffs." 

It may be subtle, but I think it's distinct. The natural progression of the young players could absolutely be in the playoff chase, imo, without Schlenk doing anything to "help" them out in FA.  However, I think (and certainly hope) we are past the "load management in order to stay in the lottery" phase of the rebuild.  If the guys progress but don't quite make the playoffs and that results in a lottery bid, then fine.  But I hope we are past the front office steering toward the lottery.  

Bogut is renowned for his illegal screens. Imagine if we signed him and Bogut and Spellman set a double screen for Trae against Patty Mills or Darren Collison...

😐 Trae would have the entire court to work with... 

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

You aren't building with those guys!  There is no logic behind what you guys are saying.  Those are stop gaps and very bad one at that.  I can't believe you have Zeller on that list?  The dollar store would be too embarrassed to put him on display. 

Of course, you have players who aren't long-term building blocks on your team when you are still gathering pieces for the future.  Dedmon isn't a long-term guy either - he is turning 30 this month.  He is just a more productive piece but won't be in his prime in 3 years.  You should expect a stop gap unless we get lucky with development focused on Bruno, Collins and Spellman.

How is this logic hard to follow?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, AHF said:

Of course, you have players who aren't long-term building blocks on your team when you are still gathering pieces for the future.  Dedmon isn't a long-term guy either - he is turning 30 this month.  He is just a more productive piece but won't be in his prime in 3 years.  You should expect a stop gap unless we get lucky with development focused on Bruno, Collins and Spellman.

How is this logic hard to follow?

Dedmon wasn't suddenly going to become those guys at 33 and when Dedmon turns 33, Colline would be 26.  I would hope that they could at least make the playoffs by then.  No chance with those other bums you listed.

• Premium Member

I would be interested who Schlenk is targeting for the future superstar to go with what we have.   I figured the Hawks would at least try to sign a good young vet this offseason to get the trajectory of the team headed upward.  I would say that is not going to happen.   From a marketing standpoint you are going to have to start winning games at some point to get these corporate companies to keep paying the bill.  

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

How would y'all feel about Steven Adams with his huge contract for two more years?

$25.8M this year

$27.5M next year

Any takers?    

Check this thread....

• Thanks 1