• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Free Agency 2019

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, marco102 said:

De’Andre Hunter’s representatives placed a call to Hawks general manager Travis Schlenk several weeks prior to the NBA Draft to let him know that Hunter wanted to be a part of Atlanta’s roster.

Hunter and his agents showed how much he wanted to be with the Hawks by choosing only to work out for one team throughout the pre-draft process — Atlanta.

There are four times throughout the year when Schlenk and his staff rate potential draft picks. Each of those four times included Hunter and Cam Reddish in the team’s top five on its big board. 

During Hunter’s private workout in Atlanta, head coach Lloyd Pierce said it was clear to him that Hunter should be the team’s pick because “he showed he was an unbelievable talent.”

The Hawks haven’t made any free-agency moves just yet. It’s the same plan Atlanta has executed since Schlenk has taken over. Two years ago, the Hawks let the market settle before signing Dewayne Dedmon. Last year, it was Alex Len whom the team acquired after most of the free-agency moves were completed. Schlenk is not going to mention names publicly, obviously, but he did say the Hawks are currently in negotiations with a few players. The players whom the Hawks are targeting were commanding hefty salaries when free agency opened but won’t be receiving them if they do choose Atlanta. 

Schlenk also said the team plans on adding another center. 

Atlanta is talking to Vince Carter about a possible return, although Carter has made it clear that he wants to get minutes.

Schlenk mentioned that he probably will keep a roster spot open to have the flexibility to work through trades. Atlanta also plans on going into the season with a good chunk of its $14 million in cap space still in place. The plan is to use that space at the trade deadline to collect some assets for future drafts to rebuild the war chest of picks the team has parted with this offseason.

This is not the full article.  Not sure if it meets the standards still.

So if Schlenk wants to keep a roster spot open and go into the offseason with capspace, I surmise the following:

1. Adams cut by his guarantee date and possibly back to GL on 2 way

2. TS is looking for a center around the $5 mil mark, similar to Len 

3. We'll run a tandem of Huerter, Bembry and Reddish aa secondary ball handlers behind Turner as backup PG.

4. They still want Vince back.

So Vince plus a Center - 2 players added leaving 1 roster spot available.

• Like 2

• Moderators
7 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

Is Zaza still available?

What about Amir Johnson or Pau Gasol? 

Just some ideas on old guys for depth purposes. I like Zaza. 

Interesting names.  I had actually forgotten about Pau Gasol being a free agent.  After his shoulder and ankle issues led to season ending surgery, I would think any team looking at him would need to get a hard look at his medicals.  He did average 10 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists and 1 block per game the season before in just 23.5 mpg so he may not be done despite his dismal season last year.  Tough to really know other than he doesn't have a long road ahead of him at age 39.

• Premium Member

Schlenk mentioned that he probably will keep a roster spot open to have the flexibility to work through trades. Atlanta also plans on going into the season with a good chunk of its $14 million in cap space still in place. The plan is to use that space at the trade deadline to collect some assets for future drafts to rebuild the war chest of picks the team has parted with this offseason.

When will it end?

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115d2355ae4168734932

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

When will it end?

:laugh1:

Peo, wether you want to believe it or not, we are still building this team, collecting assests along the way as we develop our young core.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

I think this is a clear signal that Schlen views this season as still building the foundation for the future and not the first year of trying to contend.  So that makes sense.  Someone with cap space will likely extract significant value and Schlenk aims to be that team.  

Adjust your expectations accordingly.

That's what I was trying to tell all of you when he sat out free agency but y'all kept on insisting that Schlenk was going to work his magic and find some hidden gem no one else knew about.

7 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

When will it end?

You'll appreciate those assets when they can move them for a much better player.  The plans are being laid out for you.  Like AHF said, adjust your expectations accordingly.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

:laugh1:

Peo, wether you want to believe it or not, we are still building this team, collecting assests along the way as we develop our young core.

I'm trying to figure out where is the end point?  And how does late round picks help in that process?  He has been burned twice already with talking bad salary so why keep going down that road.  I'm assuming that he is satisfied with his point guard, wings and power forward.  You don't have to continue this same pattern to find a starting center.  Help me understand the logic?

4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

That's what I was trying to tell all of you when he sat out free agency but y'all kept on insisting that Schlenk was going to work his magic and find some hidden gem no one else knew about.

I think you were up in arms about not signing any center.  We said be patient to see what the plan was.  Here the article clearly states they are looking for a center.

Edited by marco102

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

But Schlenk said he would sit out the 1st week of FAcy. Said he would play it similar to last year. Said he would look for value deals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, AHF said:

No.  I still think he will get more for our frontcourt and that you were wrong about that.  And I've told you for a while that I didn't think we were aiming to contend this season.

Front court help from the has beens being talked about?  Why bother if there is no plan to contend?

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

But Schlenk said he would sit out the 1st week of FAcy. Said he would play it similar to last year. Said he would look for value deals.

But Free agency went fast this year...It was basically over after 2-3 days so why wait now?

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I think you were up in arms about not signing any center.  We said be patient to see what the plan was.  Here's the article clearly states they are looking for a center.

The centers being mentioned have nothing left in the tank if you are referring to Chandler Gasol types.  We may as well go into the season with what we have since we aren't trying to win.

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

The enters being mentioned have nothing left in the tank if you are referring to Chandler Gasol types.  We may as well go into the season with what we have since we aren't trying to win.

The article doesn't mention any centers by name.

• Moderators

Potential Frontcourt Targets Still Available:

Christian Wood

JaMychal Green

Trey Lyles

Dragan Bender

Kosta Koufos

Kenneth Faried

Amir Johnson

Jonas Jerebko

Tyler Zeller

Andrew Bogut

Pau Gasol

Tyson Chandler

and others.

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

Front court help from the has beens being talked about?  Why bother if there is no plan to contend?

There is a plan to contend.  It is not the plan to contend this year.  You bother to build for your window to contend.