• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The plan going forward (and other things you'll argue with me about)

thecampster

20 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Come on man.  How long have you been watching Basketball.   This is Josh and Josh at the end of their first year.  Looked great... but at the end of the season, a lot of other teams go into cruise control.  Here's the deal...  Next years... some teams will get better.   Some teams will have a better scouting report on Trae.  Some teams will return from injury... Washington and Indy comes to mind.   We're young... no shame in that.  And Young teams Historically doesn't do so well and doesn't have great jumps in wins... I would be modest and say if we jump, it will be about 33 wins.   That's if we don't make major changes.   You think that Hunter and Cam are going to come in ready for the speed and physicality of this game?? Give us one more year before we start talking playoffs and 40 wins.   We may even get a coveted FA next year. 

Please don't compare Josh and Josh to Trae and Collins. The early Smoove hype was all Atl to start with. He never sniffed 19 points a game until his 8th season and could not spell efficiency much less be efficient. Childress best season was a decently efficient 13 points a game in his 3rd season. Throw Marvin into the mix and his best season was 14.8 in his 3rd season.

In a nutshell, its been a long long time since we had a 2nd year player put up 19 points a game and I cannot ever remember almost 10 rebounds a game for a 2nd year player. You can add in Trae into this as well. 19 points a game for a rookie as in when? 8.1 assist per game for a rookie also as in when?

Josh, Marvin, and Childress were no where near as impressive this early and to find that you need to reach back for Dominique with his 17.5 and 21.6 in his 1st and 2nd seasons. Bad comparison with Josh and Josh and Marvin.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, gurpilo said:

I don't doubt Trae and Collins, thea advance stats for Collins show a player going for elite group. The real question is what we have added on Hunter and Cam.

Hunter will be better than Prince this year.  he will be a better defender, rebounder and will not turn the ball over like careless Prince.  I'm also predicting that he will equal Prince's outside shooting and will definitely be a better finisher around the rim.  I can easily see Hunter averaging 12-13 ppg 5 rpg shooting 38% from 3 and 50% from the field.

• Like 2

What do us oldsters rely on?  Depends !!

Several things about the upcoming season depends on things we do not know about.  Will the Hawks keep the new guys that they traded for?  If they do, how well will they play, as Hawks?

Will Atlanta be able to resign free agent Dedmon?  I hope so.

Three new draft picks to consider.  Will we be able to replace Prince and Baze with the new guys we traded for and our three rookies?

Since Prince and Baze are both gone and not coming back, Hawks are not the same team that finished last season.  Dedmon may or may not return.  So many questions yet to be answered - - and, we can't answer all of them - - Not yet.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Diesel said:

Come on man.  How long have you been watching Basketball.   This is Josh and Josh at the end of their first year.  Looked great... but at the end of the season, a lot of other teams go into cruise control.  Here's the deal...  Next years... some teams will get better.   Some teams will have a better scouting report on Trae.  Some teams will return from injury... Washington and Indy comes to mind.   We're young... no shame in that.  And Young teams Historically doesn't do so well and doesn't have great jumps in wins... I would be modest and say if we jump, it will be about 33 wins.   That's if we don't make major changes.   You think that Hunter and Cam are going to come in ready for the speed and physicality of this game?? Give us one more year before we start talking playoffs and 40 wins.   We may even get a coveted FA next year. 

I stated pre draft there were only a handful of players ready to go day 1. Hunter is one. I just wanted Barrett.

I’ll take the bait.  To summarize the OP, we will spend next year’s cap space via trade by February.  Basically a Kristaps Porzinga type deal.  To me that is a bold prediction, and a wild guess.  

What makes you feel certain that will happen?

If Travis doesn't like the free agent class next year, he'll do the following

1.  Hand out a huge style JJ Reddick Type contract for a couple of midtier free agents for one year possibly with team options to eliminate the no trade clause.

2. Take on a couple of bad one year contracts for future assets.

3.  Use the space for a young up and coming player.  No idea who that is at this point. 

All that to say is, we do know what he'll do, but he has some very good options.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, JTB said:

@thecampster based on your theory of what’s going to happen with the massive cap space ....we’re going to use it before 2020 free agency which is fine but are you basically implying that schlenk is going to combine these expiring deals to trade to a team for a quality semi young  vet that can help this young team? 

Sorry I’m really just trying to understand exactly where you are coming from cause it sounds like you’re basically just saying schlenk is going to sell the idea of gaining cap space to teams so that we can acquire a good player that way. Perhaps another Leonard/Paul George like situation where we may take on a one year rental for a marquee star or we use the expiring deals to add another good young piece to this team that has upside and good potential....

if that’s what you’re saying I’d like to know what ...

Let's start by replying to that last sentence. The player, players that we'll bring in is directly related to how certain teams fair. As an example, I love looking at OKC for this. They have decisions to make on George, Westbrook, Schröder, and Adam's. All are on multiyear deals and together they take up 100% of the salary cap. Okc is a multiyear tax offender. If they go backwards this year they will need to deal 3 of those to clear room and start over. The most likely candidates being George and Adam's. They'll end up trading 1 to2 of these four for expurings by seasons end (barring a miracle). It will be something like that. Like Plumlee for Adam's so they can drop 13 mil in salary now and 25 mil total by seasons end. Us just taking advantage of salary dumps by non contenders

10 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Let's start by replying to that last sentence. The player, players that we'll bring in is directly related to how certain teams fair. As an example, I love looking at OKC for this. They have decisions to make on George, Westbrook, Schröder, and Adam's. All are on multiyear deals and together they take up 100% of the salary cap. Okc is a multiyear tax offender. If they go backwards this year they will need to deal 3 of those to clear room and start over. The most likely candidates being George and Adam's. They'll end up trading 1 to2 of these four for expurings by seasons end (barring a miracle). It will be something like that. Like Plumlee for Adam's so they can drop 13 mil in salary now and 25 mil total by seasons end. Us just taking advantage of salary dumps by non contenders

Ok I hear ya! And this may come out as being ignorant but let’s just say hypothetically okc is willing to give us Paul George and Adams at the trade deadline because they need to cut salary due to the team not performing well......

then also hypothetically let’s just say Cam Reddish and Deandre Hunter are both performing well as rookies .....TELL me why in the world would we sacrifice our cap flexibility to take on a much older Paul George if our rookies happen to be performing well playing the same position?

On Adams:

Adams on the other hand I get! He’s not a shooting big man but he’s 25 and a very good defender with underrated passing ability and basketball IQ. Adams would be a perfect fit now though he can’t space the floor very well he makes up for it in other areas. Not to mention he’s a good finisher around the goal with great hands.

Conclusion:

...Im not saying your point on what we do is foolish or unrealistic...I’m just saying if we have lottery picks that’s performing well at the same position there’s no need to bring in a star at that same position. The better plan would be using that cap to deepen the team, particularly the bench if our young talents are playing well.

• Like 1

Remember there team is just a perfect example, not necessarily where we'll go and honestly, we could do this before the season begins. But it's coming. It is much more sure fire as there is no guarantee you can get good players to take your money.

Dedmon is gone to California.  That means one slot open and his $$$ salary cap went with him.

Going forward, we still have at least three centers left on the roster.  Len, Spellman and Plumlee.  We added Bruno Fernando in the draft.  Collins can play a little there when we go "small ball."  Note:  Plumlee has been mostly on the disabled list since he has been a Hawk.  Any one know how his health is as of now?

I sincerely believe it is very important that we resign VC for his final NBA year.  We have so many youth and they all need his wisdom and leadership..

:elf:

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Dedmon is gone to California.  That means one slot open and his $$$ salary cap went with him.

Going forward, we still have at least three centers left on the roster.  Len, Spellman and Plumlee.  We added Bruno Fernando in the draft.  Collins can play a little there when we go "small ball."  Note:  Plumlee has been mostly on the disabled list since he has been a Hawk.  Any one know how his health is as of now?

I sincerely believe it is very important that we resign VC for his final NBA year.  We have so many youth and they all need his wisdom and leadership..

:elf:

Plumlee and Spellman are terrible at center...Time to get out of this lottery mentality and get some NBA grade players