Ranking the best young core in the NBA

Peoriabird

17 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This doesn't seem right.... you are touting Zion, Hayes, NAW as better while Hunter and Reddish might be busts????? None of these players have played a regular season game so like you said neither team knows what they have yet.

I'd take our trio of Trae/Kevin/John vs Ingram/Ball - we've seen these guys play real NBA ball.

Powell in Dallas???? Does not compute. And until KP gets back on the court and show he can stay on the court I'd drop Dallas a few slots.

While you're right that games need to be played to have real NBA data, I don't think it's bashing the Hawks or propping the Pelicans up to say they have a better team.  They still have Jrue Holiday too if I'm not mistaken.  Let's just give our Hawks some time and they may prove to be better.  But for now, that New Orleans team has just got more talent.

47 minutes ago, Eddielives said:

While you're right that games need to be played to have real NBA data, I don't think it's bashing the Hawks or propping the Pelicans up to say they have a better team.  They still have Jrue Holiday too if I'm not mistaken.  Let's just give our Hawks some time and they may prove to be better.  But for now, that New Orleans team has just got more talent.

Well the question was which team has the best young talent. Not which is the best team. Regardless, I'd take issue with you saying NO has more talent when the majority of that talent has yet to play one minute in the NBA. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Eddielives said:

It is bashing to say the three Pelicans first round picks are better and the two Hawks first round picks may be busts.  That's what Jay and probably most other Hawks fans would take exception to.

None of these players have played in the league and to say the Hawks draft picks may be busts while not acknowledging that the New Orleans draft picks may be busts is disingenuous. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Eddielives said:

Jrue would not be considered as part of 'the young core'

• Thanks 3

8 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Jrue would not be considered as part of 'the young core'

I didn't read the thread from the beginning so I thought the disagreement was which team is better so my bad for that.  But I still think their young core is pretty damn good and any bust talk for the rookies on both sides is nonsense right now.

• Like 1

hace 9 horas, JayBirdHawk dijo:

This doesn't seem right.... you are touting Zion, Hayes, NAW as better while Hunter and Reddish might be busts????? None of these players have played a regular season game so like you said neither team knows what they have yet.

I'd take our trio of Trae/Kevin/John vs Ingram/Ball - we've seen these guys play real NBA ball.

Powell in Dallas???? Does not compute. And until KP gets back on the court and show he can stay on the court I'd drop Dallas a few slots.

That is true but Zion is considered as the next superstar and there is not much doubts he will perform at high level, NAW and Hayes have performed at a very high level at summer league as rookies, Ball and Ingram are very good players... Can NO rookies become busts? Of course they can but with the sample size we have their rookies are considered a sure thing to become superstars or have performed at a high level and ours bring more questionmarks at the moment. Consider also they have a shit load of 1st rd picks

Edited by gurpilo

2 hours ago, gurpilo said:

That is true but Zion is considered as the next superstar and there is not much doubts he will perform at high level, NAW and Hayes have performed at a very high level at summer league as rookies, Ball and Ingram are very good players... Can NO rookies become busts? Of course they can but with the sample size we have their rookies are considered a sure thing to become superstars or have performed at a high level and ours bring more questionmarks at the moment. Consider also they have a shit load of 1st rd picks

Balling in SL is really overrated unless you show superstar flashes like Mitchell did for Utah a couple years ago or Rui this year. 

NAW showed a higher floor but he still has a number of issues and that could hold him back a bit.

Hayes is nowhere body wise ready for the NBA right now.

Let's let Zion play first. 

Ball and BI have some terrible numbers for their first two to three seasons. 

You mention numbers with Kevin but Kev got better numbers than BI. 

I don't like blind homer-ism when it comes to our guys.  But I find it hilarious how optimistic some folks are about other teams' guys.

Like everybody on the PeliCan'ts roster is going to pan out but, on our guys, "uh, gotta wait 'n see ... maybe they'll make the roster one day."

SMDH

NAW looks like a nice player but let's not overreact to SL.  Hayes still has no offensive skillset (none).  Zion needs to lose about 40 pounds just to make it down to Big Baby Davis' fightin' weight.

They got questions just like we do.

And the idea that DAL or BOS have a better young core than we do is plain laughable.  That's one of those times when you answer a question but get it wrong because you answered the wrong question.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

It's shocking to me how Trae and Luka can have comparable numbers year one (and yes I recognize that Luka's were slightly better) and yet Luka is considered such a transcendent player that his mere presence on a team with but three other players under the age of 25 qualified the Mavs as one of the best young cores in the NBA?? Laughable.

The Hawks have twice the number of players under the age of 25 led by Trae and JC whom I'd put up against LD and KP any day. 

Preach, Reverend.  Preach

I can answer the question though.  It's called confirmation bias.  They won't be able to use his play to chide him so they'll just say he's not on L***"s level because of his size.  "Bwah, Trae is great but L*** is 6'6" so uhhhh I just can't see Trae leading a team since he's smaller.  Blah, bluh, bleh."

Give them credit for learning.  They used his poor play to knock him but they've now realized his play is something that can change/improve.  He won't get taller so they'll always have that to fall back on.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, kg01 said:

I don't like blind homer-ism when it comes to our guys.  But I find it hilarious how optimistic some folks are about other teams' guys.

Like everybody on the PeliCan'ts roster is going to pan out but, on our guys, "uh, gotta wait 'n see ... maybe they'll make the roster one day."

SMDH

NAW looks like a nice player but let's not overreact to SL.  Hayes still has no offensive skillset (none).  Zion needs to lose about 40 pounds just to make it down to Big Baby Davis' fightin' weight.

They got questions just like we do.

And the idea that DAL or BOS have a better young core than we do is plain laughable.  That's one of those times when you answer a question but get it wrong because you answered the wrong question.

I agree ☝🏾. I like us first and the Grizz. And a couple others but not freaking the Mavs ok.

ps Speaking of the Grizz, watch my Boy B Clarke grab 20 boards tonight in a Grizz summer league championship win.

Keep in mind, it’s not for the Grizz, but all the guys at San Jose State that ball 🏀 for free and fight each other and did so in the mid 90’s...

😐 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Thought this was a pretty transparent quote from someone who gains nothing from doing anything other than heaping praise on Zion:

“I thought really he never should've played just because he's been on this circuit of awards, the ESPYs, everything,” Krzyzewski said, via Forbes’ Adam Zagoria. “I don't think he's in the playing shape or the mental shape to play.”

The level you need to be at to contend with the mostly G-League level of pickup ball that qualifies as summer league is not that high a barrier to pass.  With his athleticism and skills, Zion should not have needed much to be ready to play against that competition.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, AHF said:

Thought this was a pretty transparent quote from someone who gains nothing from doing anything other than heaping praise on Zion:

The level you need to be at to contend with the mostly G-League level of pickup ball that qualifies as summer league is not that high a barrier to pass.  With his athleticism and skills, Zion should not have needed much to be ready to play against that competition.

Which is telling to his conditioning. He was going to award shows with Duke but he was still in the gym and not at Popeyes 

• Like 2

• Moderators
Just now, NBASupes said:

Which is telling to his conditioning. He was going to award shows with Duke but he was still in the gym and not at Popeyes 

I still wish it was our problem to deal with because I think he will be pretty outstanding but that is a rough start to his career.  Trae struggled big time in SL and early NBA but not due to a lack of effort or focus.  Doing the awards circuit doesn't stop you from getting to the gym enough to be ready for SL.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AHF said:

I still wish it was our problem to deal with because I think he will be pretty outstanding but that is a rough start to his career.  Trae struggled big time in SL and early NBA but not due to a lack of effort or focus.  Doing the awards circuit doesn't stop you from getting to the gym enough to be ready for SL.

Agreed. I still say Trae had a difficult transition. OU did everything around Trae and it was the Trae show. That's hard to deal with going into SL. Like Hunter came from an instinctive situation into a shit one in SL. Just nothing close to what he is accustom to. 

31 minutes ago, AHF said:

Nah, I'm glad it's not our problem.  To me, even once he gets in shape, the weight could still hinder him.  As I've said on TOS, joints and ligaments don't care if it's muscle or fat.  Weight is weight.  He's heavily likely to get wear-and-tear injuries.  And, if that happens, he clearly has the propensity to blow up if he's not constantly training.

What's up with these sensible posts from you in every thread but the Turner one?  Did he steal your gf?

• Haha 1

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Nah, I'm glad it's not our problem.  To me, even once he gets in shape, the weight could still hinder him.  As I've said on TOS, joints and ligaments don't care if it's muscle or fat.  Weight is weight.  He's heavily likely to get wear-and-tear injuries.  And, if that happens, he clearly has the propensity to blow up if he's not constantly training.

What's up with these sensible posts from you in every thread but the Turner one?  Did he steal your gf?

It's funny that you think Turner's actual numbers are an attack on him.

• Haha 1