• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Warriors at Hawks

lethalweapon3

5 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

May I just take a moment to SCREAM praise at Omari and whatever step he's at on his muliti-step program? (excuse the Honest Blue language in the tweet)

Whoever that is in charge of wellness, at both NBA orgs, is doing a fantastic job so far.

~lw3

Sometimes a change of scenery is needed. Like he said he wasn’t ready and I can’t totally understand that. Omari is a good player, I think we traded him solely banking in the fact that he couldn’t keep the weight off. Lol. If I’m Omari I turn into a 180 pounder and try to come back as Trae’s backup. Ok I lost myself there a little.. 😐 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

May I just take a moment to SCREAM praise at Omari and whatever step he's at on his muliti-step program? (excuse the Honest Blue language in the tweet)

Whoever that is in charge of wellness, at both NBA orgs, is doing a fantastic job so far.

~lw3

Btw his BMI will never be where it should be. Then again the internet is strict on BMI and doesn’t factor many things. 

Good for Omari. He seemed like a nice kid I hope he does well for himself.

• Like 2

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I don't wish ill on players but I'm kinda tired of the "I really was a screw up in Atlanta but once I got to NEW TOWN I turned my life around."

Falcons still get crap about Brett Favre when Favre admitted the only things he cared about in Atlanta were parties and another word that stars with the letter "p". And yes, he said that word in the interview years ago talking about how he was a failure as a Falcon and deserved to be traded.

Green Bay gets the COMES TO JESUS guy and we got the sinner. Omari seems to be doing well in GSW and we got the fat slob.

I agree with your post 100% in terms of Atlanta's (one of many) curses.  But I kept hearing that Omari was doing well and was a little miffed about it.  Then I watched him last night and thought: fine.   He doesn't seem to have progressed much and the only reason he's getting minutes is he's on the biggest tank train in the league.  I don't think we're going to be missing him in a couple years.  I hope he does well because he seems like a good guy but it's hard to imagine him as an impact player. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, AHF said:

I'm a little puzzled by the people who were desperate for Trae to go to the bench in this game just because the Hawks didn't have anything meaningful to gain from his play the rest of the game.  Let me be the first to tell you guys that this season will not involve any meaningful wins for the Hawks.  We will not make the playoffs this year.  If you think he shouldn't play because he won't be influencing a significant result, then you might as well bench him for the rest of the season.  The only time I'm benching him is to manage his minutes and an already existing injury.  I'm not benching him because I'm scared he'll hurt himself in a meaningless game because from a big picture perspective they are all meaningless this year.  

I'm much more torqued about how few minutes Bruno is getting.

I'm confused.  If you don't believe in protecting him from potential injury then what's even the point in 'managing his minutes'?  

You take your stars out when you can not just because the game's decided but because the opposition is playing out of control scrubs who are much more likely to hurt someone because they are playing erratically.   An injury doesn't just affect this year.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, lethalweapon3 said:

~lw3

I said it before, the city of Atlanta can be a city a lot of young professional Black athletes can't handle. I seen this with Dennis, Omari and many many more. It makes drafting for Atlanta pro sports teams more difficult. 

2 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I'm always fearful of someone trying to take Trae out on purpose.  It's something about him that the other players don't like.  I don't know if he's doing a lot of talking, or sometimes he just seems a little too cocky.  But the veteran players in the league do not like him.

Remembering the attitude that Magic and Isiah had towards MJ early on. Not so polite and their teammates took it to heart a bit too much. So truly understand what you are saying. Our franchise goes down when Trae does at this point. CLP has to take him out when it doesn't count for a win and don't think the mindset that games aren't so important so play him and then stat cushioning makes any kinda career difference. Take him out when the job is done or the job absolutely can't be done on any given night.

• Moderators
16 hours ago, macdaddy said:

I'm confused.  If you don't believe in protecting him from potential injury then what's even the point in 'managing his minutes'?  

You take your stars out when you can not just because the game's decided but because the opposition is playing out of control scrubs who are much more likely to hurt someone because they are playing erratically.   An injury doesn't just affect this year.  

Because he doesn’t have infinite stamina?  I’d play him normally.

On 12/3/2019 at 6:42 PM, lethalweapon3 said:

One way I'll distinguish Brett from Omari (which at this stage is like eggs 'n eggplants in terms of where they've wound up, by the times they reached their next pro stop)...

With Far-vruh, Brett sort of fell deep into the Buckhead Village nightlife (of the time; they're nowhere near That Life now, in the post-Killa Ray era) and all of its tawdry tentacles. While I'm sure he was as much of a rambunctious party boy as one could conceivably be in 1980s Hattiesburg with no NFL money in his pocket, that paled in comparison to the shady Shangri-La (w/ NO city-mandated Last Call times back then) that awaited him here.

Whereas, Cal-Omari was already on the portlier side of things when he got drafted, and his commitment to fitness and conditioning for a ramp-up to 20-plus minutes and 80-ish games over six months was already known to be a challenge for the Hawks to deal with in the road ahead. It wasn't like he left Cheesesteak Country in fine, modern-NBA-suitable shape and only THEN discovered Fat Matt's Rib Shack and Ann's Snack Bar during his downtime.

The Smiths probably didn't realize the depths of what they were in for, upon drafting Brett, until the early-dawn phone calls imploring them to come scrape their third-string backup off Bell Bottoms' patio. I'm just glad The Limelight's shark tank was gone by then, and I suppose the Packers are, too. Maybe it would've been The Majik Man in Canton right now if the sharks had gotten to Favre first.

While both rooks were developmental, the Falcons could afford to stash Favre behind Billy Joe Tolliver (yikes!) and Chris Miller. Maybe some preseason action, a few snaps over 16 games, and that was gonna be it. Even less, if Jerry Glanville had his druthers. Brett got out of shape only after he arrived and discovered Glanville had Tolliver traded there to supplant his #2 backup spot, ensuring he wouldn't play much at all.

Alternatively, Omari, despite arriving out of shape, was expected to be in the rotation and on the floor, frequently, and a lot more often than expected once the Hawks realized Collins and Dedmon were gonna need time off to start last season (it was either start Spellman, or enjoy more of Vince or Taurean at the 4-spot... double yikes!).

The potential for media critique was reasonably low off the playing stage for Omari -- no snoopy AJC reporters following him into The Varsity drive-thrus after games -- but the scrutiny from fans and media for his on-floor appearances and production was likely to be higher, more immediate, and more likely to impact his psyche directly.

Our frustrations with Omari's shape are near-permanent archives of the Internet. The best that fans of the early 90s could do if they got word of Favre's hangovers around town was type a Letter to the Editor, and hope it got published in the Sports pages. Around-the-clock sports talk in this town was still a few years away, too, and if your concern wasn't about UGA or the Bravos on WSB, you could save your breath.

I am glad that Omari's game yesterday didn't turn into one of those Stick It To The Old Atlanta Team games we've grown accustomed to around here (Jeff George with the Raiders, anyone?). If anybody stood out against their prior NBA employer, it was my guy, Damian "Compost" Jones.

But the upshot with Omari is, he's just playing his best ball because he finally understands he has to, in order to stay in this league, not because he's holding some irrational grudge with the Hawks for not saving him from himself.

~lw3

Everyone talks about Favre's party habits, but I remember being impressed with his ability anyway, and I was furious that stupid Glanville got rid of him while utilizing some bum (can't even remember who it was, he was so unimpressive.)  Hard to say whether Omari will have a bigger impact than Jones or not.  Neither are really consistent, but Omari does seem to be a better rebounder than Jones, most of the time.

• Like 2