• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Help me understand Schlenks 2021 free agency plan (assuming there’s a plan there)

JTB

7 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The value wasn't in taking on vets just for their expiring contracts, but rather it was about getting 1st round picks to take them. Those are the assets you need when rebuilding, selling capspace for 1sts.

Again I get that...I understand the strategy of the rebuilding (same thing Ainge did with the Celtics)...what I’m saying is I don’t think if Schlenk keeps on with that strategy for 2020 taking on expiring vets salaries for draft picks will work out so great for the 2021 free agency as this strategy is bad for being competitive in the regular season since most the vets you get back are surely to be trash but hey it’s great for assets gained (I get it, I get it, I get it)

you made a great point though Earlier maybe we use the assets gained in trade to acquire a good player or two who’s not fitting with ttheir team or the team is looking to start over ....I didn’t think about that part as I was only looking at free agency so that was a great point 

• Like 1

Well, I think the strategy was fine while we were piling assets. Next year with a core of Young, Huerter, Reddish, Hunter, Collins, Fernando and 2 good picks we should have enough assets to go to FA, sign 3-4 players and make first run to the playoffs. 

We need bigs and there are bigs on FA, a star on Drummond and good role players on Noel, Ibaka, Baynes, Tristan Thompson,  O'Quinn, Favors, Giles, Whitesize, Wood, Morris, Mason Plumlee, Bertans, Henson, Parker.... Other FA could use Jae Crowder, Derrick Jones, Harkless, Tyler Johnson , Kormaz, Joe Harris, Jordan clarkson, Teague, Napier, Frazier...

No reason to overpay really but there are enough players to fill the needa we have and rouns the team to compete

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, JTB said:

Really???

well I hope you’re right . I have to be honest say there’s probably no chance for us being that Lakers look like the best team in the west and prime for a championship run maybe two or three depending on how lebrons body holds up.

If the Nuggets or Bucks had Trae instead of their PG... which I'm sure their fans dream of, they could have championship aspirations 

• Like 2

I truly think that Schlenk ( at least in the back of his mind ), was planning to throw a ton of money at one of the Golden State guys ( Klay Thompson or Draymond Green ).  Had Kevin Durant stayed with the Warriors, they may not have been able to keep everyone together ( long term ).   

I think the big money, expiring contracts ( like a Chandler Parsons ) were going to be used to either have a ton of cap space this summer to bring in one or two all-stars, or to be able to deal at the trade deadline for a guy currently under contract.

Wow..No one Mentions Derozan..I would give him a 4 year max..Guaranteed 20 points in the backcourt with Trae..Unlike Bembry he can consistently hit the midrange J to go along with the slashing..Huerter and Cam on rookie deals..When the 4 year deal ends Cam is 23 and possibly ready..Iron sharpens iron..

Edited by LastDon
  • Haha 2

I don't want to waste any more years of Trae Prime waiting on guys to develop..Give me s 20ppg 50%fg scorer in Derozan to win now or no later than  next season.. If the season isn't too far in the tubes near all-star break I would offer the Spurs Hawk 2021 pick, Brooklyn 2020, OKC 2022 pick for Derozan

• Haha 2

We need Derozan..Huerter and Cam are ok..When they score 15 points we're like they had a good game..15 points is a bad game for Derozan and when he scores 20 people say he was held in check..This is the perimeter threat that Trae Young needs..a proven commodity..

Edited by LastDon

3 hours ago, LastDon said:

We need Derozan..Huerter and Cam are ok..When they score 15 points we're like they had a good game..15 points is a bad game for Derozan and when he scores 20 people say he was held in check..This is the perimeter threat that Trae Young needs..a proven commodity..

While I am agree with the general idea, DeRozan ain’t it chief. His game is a relic of the 90s era and perimeter players with no real shooting range would hurt this team IMO. 

We all need to be much more patient with Hunter and Reddish. We are barely a week into December.

We should be making moves to improve the roster for sure, but I don’t feel like DeRozan is what would fit here. We are literally John Collins and a veteran defensive big away from the playoffs already and that’s cheaper than springing for DeRozan. Plus, the Spurs probably want more than that for him. 

• Like 2

The plan is for our core Trae Young, John Collins, Kevin Huerter, DeAndre Hunter, Cam Reddish, Bruno Fernando, Damian Jones & DeAndre Bembry to get better as a young core & unit. Adding AD (if he's willing to play center or John is) or Drummond would be ideal for next yr. If we make it to the playoffs this yr & Jabari Parker plays with us one more yr I think we will keep him & use him to entice Giannis in 2021.

Even if we only get expiring contracts 2020 the core above improving will make us a much improved team.

PG - Trae Young

SG - Cam Reddish

SF- DeAndre Hunter

PF - Giannis Antetokoumpo

C - John Collins

Bench

PG - Kevin Huerter

SG - DeAndre Bembry

SF - Jabari Parker

PF - Bruno Fernando

C - Damian Jones

Would be a deadly & deep team in 2021 & the way positionless basketball is going.

Giannis & Collins could be switchable with their positions depending on match up & we'd be one of the longest, deepest, athletic,youngest and exciting teams in the league that can dominate for yrs to come because we have the cap space to lock all of them down. 

I'm excluding whoever we draft in 2020 (because I don't know who that'll be of course) & the vets we may pick up along the way but this is the plan if everything works out. The biggest hope is we give the Bucks a run for their money in the playoffs (assuming we make it) & that the Bucks don't win it all before Giannis 2021 free agency.

Giannis with Trae and company will be too enticing & Giannis can get alot of the load off of himself while still giving us a major edge against every other team.

• Like 2

On 12/7/2019 at 11:24 AM, JTB said:

I think we all have assumed that Schlenk has purposely not spent money in the previous free agencies due to the strong free agent class of 2021...and of course we don’t know if that’s really true or not for sure BUT let’s hypothetically say it is true cause on a business standpoint it the makes sense to do this and hold out to acquire better talent via free agency in 2 years from now.

but help me understand something....cause there’s just a few things I don’t really get with this plan as it’s very risky in a lot of ways in my opinion.

If this is the plan then....

-is schlenk planning on signing ONLY 1 year deals next off season to keep the cap flexibility for 2021 free agency ? And if so how many decent to good free agents in 2020 can you really acquire on 1 year deals to be competitive to make a playoff run next season?

-whats the plan if we aren’t competitive next season ?...how is that attractive to top or mid talented  free agents in 2021  ?

I understand holding out for a good free agency class in 2021 but I don’t understand holding out if you can’t guarantee to look competitive to make those good or great free agents look in your direction!...I’m not trying to be negative but if the hawks aren’t atleast a 8th seed in the playoffs next season before the 2021 free agency  then I can’t see any reason schlenk can believe he has any real opportunity to gain any kind of  good in that free agency class.

On the other hand i know the 2020 free agency class isn’t nearly as attractive as the 2021 free agency class (Not hard to see that) but on a “safe” perspective could it be a small window of opportunity to just make or assemble a DEEPER roster of to go along with the young core?...I mean even if you have to slightly over pay certain 2020 free agents to get them here, if the team is deeper all around for coming years wouldn’t that be great too? 

just a few thoughts...not saying don’t hold out for 2021 free agency but man is it going to be disappointing if we strike completely out which I have to remind you all is highly possible and that’s not negativity it’s just how these things go for hawks and just all Atlanta Proffessional sports unfortunately. To me it’s better to just play shit safe, we aren’t good enough or even have great enough pull to be holding out for any free agency class. 

Free agency for spending that money is only part of the story.

1. Taking someone else's big contract but still a good player but might be a bad fit where he is (to get ahead of this, we may do this at this trade deadline with our big expiring deals or nearing the draft).

2. Paying our players when they come off F/A in a year.

The plan (as I see it) is we will have about 4 slots, 2 new rookies and about 53 million to spend.  Without trading our core 8 away that works out to 1 30 million contract and 3 x 7-8 million.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

This issue with John and injuries has put the Hawks behind.  Superstars are not interested in loosing teams.  Trae wants to win and you tell he is frustrated other players on the team cant seam to step up.  You are not going to sign a superstar to a 1-2 year deal, and you are not gonna get a discount on a superstar either.   The Hawks better be thinking about their star in Trae, getting him the players to contend, so we can attack that big name superstar.  In the end it's big $$$ to land that top tier player.  Gonna be an interesting 2 years.  

• Thanks 2