• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Knicks

lethalweapon3

26 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Whoever in your family has the flu, get well soon !  I got my old man flu shot yesterday.

:air_kiss:

Gramps there’s weird things going around here. Flu 😷 3 weeks ago, takes like 2+ weeks to kick and now it’s back! All this and the Hawks are playing like dirt. When is 2020 coming? I’ve never looked more forward to a decade. 🤦🏽‍♂️ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I understand the frustration but let’s see the situation with some perspective. 

Let’s start with a fact, this is a lost season, year 2 of rebuild program, no team can compete on year 2. Is hard to accept as everybody had high  hopes but is what it is, we are not ready.

We are playing significant minutes our young players, we are losing but we will improve through the season, we will be top 5 worst record, that guarantees a chance for Anthony Edwards or Wiseman and next year all our vets contracts will be gone.

Next season we will have a young core of Young, Huerter, Reddish, Hunter and Collins + 2 picks and tons of cap space. All of them are NBA players. We will have a fantastic opportunity to round the team and compete then.

We have clear needs, bigs that can defend the paint and rebound, a backup PG, a 2nd or 3rd scorer (depends if you consider Collins a reliable 2nd option or not) and also some shooting.

Best case scenario for me would be a draft that gets us Anthony Edwards and Kilian Hayes or Hampton and we sign Drummond, Christian Wood or Ibaka, Bertans, Joe Harris and Napier or Mudiay. But we could also consider a best case scenario adding Wiseman and instead of Drummond add Noel so that Wiseman evolution is not compromised by Drummond minutes while still keeping good defense and rebounding with Noel.

Most likely scenario is that we end with another prospect like Jaden McDaniels, Stewart, Carney Jr or Oby Topin, still go with a backup PG with the other pick, Hayes, Hampton, Maledon.... and round the team with 2-3 bigs like Baynes, Noel, Henson, Wood, a wing in Harris or Crowder and a backup PG. 

All these scenarios end with a team with less flaws than today.

in my opinion best fits for Haws in FA next year are Drummond, Noel, Ibaka, Bertans, Wood, Marcus Morris, Harris, Korkmaz, Burke, Crowder, Napier and Mudiay.

Edited by gurpilo

You are so much higher on Drummond than I am. I don't see him as a good fit. I don't like Edwards fit with Young either but BPA so it's a no brainer if he is available. 

I don't see it with Drummond. So many centers I rather considering what we need around Trae defensively. Baynes would cost us half the price and give us twice the value of Drummond 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

You are so much higher on Drummond than I am. I don't see him as a good fit. I don't like Edwards fit with Young either but BPA so it's a no brainer if he is available. 

I don't see it with Drummond. So many centers I rather considering what we need around Trae defensively. Baynes would cost us half the price and give us twice the value of Drummond 

Whaaaatttt?  They would fit perfectly together, in my opinion. 

Edwards learning how to play off ball at Georgia and with his ability to attack the rim, it will eliminate teams doubling Trae.  Edward has the potential to be a defensive beast at the two guard position too.   

It seems like they compliment each other perfectly.  Edwards also has some untapped passing ability. 

Why don't you think they fit? 

Edited by marco102
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Whaaaatttt?  They would fit perfectly together, in my opinion. 

Edwards learning how to play off ball at Georgia and with his ability to attack the rim, it will eliminate teams doubling Trae.  Edward has the potential to be a defensive beast at the two guard position too.   

It seems like the compliment each other perfectly.  Edwards also has some untapped passing ability. 

Why don't you think they fit? 

You think so? I don't 

Edwards pounds the rock and doesn't play off the ball well. You basically creating a poor man's Houston Rockets with Harden and Westbrook. He is also very turnover prone and his style of play leads to inconsistency and losses.

I also don't think Edwards is that good yet on offense. He will take time just like everyone else. I don't see a Zion this year. Someone who is a game changer from the rip. I honestly think Edwards best role in year 1 is being a 6th man like Harden was with the Thunder. 

I personally think he is a bigger and stronger Donovan Mitchell who lacks a lot of polish that Mitchell didn't out of college. It will take some time for Edwards but he is clearly better than anyone else is in draft class to me. Highest upside as well.

I don't think complement each other well. I think the perfect complement for Young would be modern Paul George. Clearly no young player in my eyes. If I had a choice, I'll say Paul George and Klay Thompson or Paul George and Phoenix Joe Johnson. Those would be the best complements. Anyone who can play two way wings, got size, can defend PGs and switch on matchups and can shoot their asses off. Also doesn't demand too much usage

Edited by NBASupes

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

You think so? I don't 

Edwards pounds the rock and doesn't play off the ball well. You basically creating a poor man's Houston Rockets with Harden and Westbrook. He is also very turnover prone and his style of play leads to inconsistency and losses.

I also don't think Edwards is that good yet on offense. He will take time just like everyone else. I don't see a Zion this year. Someone who is a game changer from the rip. I honestly think Edwards best role in year 1 is being a 6th man like Harden was with the Thunder. 

I personally think he is a bigger and stronger Donovan Mitchell who lacks a lot of polish that Mitchell didn't out of college. It will take some time for Edwards but he is clearly better than anyone else is in draft class to me. Highest upside as well.

I don't think complement each other well. I think the perfect complement for Young would be modern Paul George. Clearly no young player in my eyes. If I had a choice, I'll say Paul George and Klay Thompson or Paul George and Phoenix Joe Johnson. Those would be the best complements. Anyone who can play two way wings, got size, can defend PGs and switch on matchups and can shoot their asses off. Also doesn't demand too much usage

I see your point, but are you considering that Anthony Edwards has only been serious about basketball for about 5 years and is one of the top 3 youngest players in this draft?  

Initially, he wouldn't be playing over Cam or Huerter next season and probably will play back up 1 or 2 in the perfect scenario, but his athleticism alone in  NBA spacing should be able to get him buckets on the second unit.

If he hits his ceiling, he'd be a perfect fit to Trae because of his scoring ability, which yes right now is hit or miss, but when you consider what he's doing at his age and experience level is quite amazing,  and defensive potential, I see an excellent fit with Trae rather starting or the 6th man role you referred to. 

When we are talking fit, I'm only talking about players in the draft. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, marco102 said:

I see your point, but are you considering that Anthony Edwards has only been serious about basketball for about 5 years and is one of the top 3 youngest players in this draft?  

Initially, he wouldn't be playing over Cam or Huerter next season and probably will play back up 1 or 2 in the perfect scenario, but his athleticism alone in  NBA spacing should be able to get him buckets on the second unit.

If he hits his ceiling, he'd be a perfect fit to Trae because of his scoring ability, which yes right now is hit or miss, but when you consider what he's doing at his age and experience level is quite amazing,  and defensive potential, I see an excellent fit with Trae rather starting or the 6th man role you referred to. 

When we are talking fit, I'm only talking about players in the draft. 

This is a normal draft class. There really is no Ja Morant or Zion. While Edwards is more talented than Morant, he will take some time. A lot of learning he has to do. 

Even if he hits his ceiling, I question the fit but I'll get rid of Trae before I get rid of Edwards. 

1 hour ago, NBASupes dijo:

I see what you are saying about Baynes but he is 33 year old, next year he will be 34, what is the contract he will look for? He is only an option for 1-2 years, after that you should look for a Center with all your money tied for Young, Collins, Huerter, Hunter.... no good for me

I think we should look for a younger center, a real top center for 4-5 years, that is Drummond, he is a top 5 center, all defensive team for consecutive years, rebound and block league leader, can play pick and roll, will be much improved with a real PG, is a no brainer for me. Noel, Baynes, Ibaka are also good options and fit. I would prefer Noel if Drummond is gone. Even Whiteside and Thompson might be an option although I prefer Noel or Ibaka.

hace 46 minutos, bleachkit dijo:

Can we stop including draft picks in depth charts. There is no telling where we pick, who we pick, or who even becomes a good pro.

I already said Edwards or Wiseman would be a dream scenario with a most likely scenario of McDaniels, Obi, Carney Jr or Stewart. Why we should not include it? We are going to have a top 5 pick anyway and that player is going to play a ton, why we should not consider it?

2 hours ago, lethalweapon3 said:

Two former Hawks head coaches, and one prominent sportscaster -- "That's Right, Bawb!" -- faced off the last time the Knicks scored this many points in regulation.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/198011110NYK.html

speaking of which, Congrats, Stinger!

~lw3

Yeah he giggles a lot like you expect Chris Webber to do for Chris's usual reason but Mike Glenn is a classy guy and always have appreciated his Hawks homerism. Sometimes you just have to have that stuff to help balance out all the other static.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

I see what you are saying about Baynes but he is 33 year old, next year he will be 34, what is the contract he will look for? He is only an option for 1-2 years, after that you should look for a Center with all your money tied for Young, Collins, Huerter, Hunter.... no good for me

I think we should look for a younger center, a real top center for 4-5 years, that is Drummond, he is a top 5 center, all defensive team for consecutive years, rebound and block league leader, can play pick and roll, will be much improved with a real PG, is a no brainer for me. Noel, Baynes, Ibaka are also good options and fit. I would prefer Noel if Drummond is gone. Even Whiteside and Thompson might be an option although I prefer Noel or Ibaka.

Naw, Drummond ain't none of that on defense. Not even close. Center is one position where they can be older and still effective 

2 hours ago, lethalweapon3 said:

Two former Hawks head coaches, and one prominent sportscaster -- "That's Right, Bawb!" -- faced off the last time the Knicks scored this many points in regulation.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/198011110NYK.html

speaking of which, Congrats, Stinger!

~lw3

He makes me wanna be a better human. Overall, people like him inspire. Great stuff.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

While Edwards is more talented than Morant,

Wait, what? Is he really?

Count me in as wanting Edwards but not thinking he’s the best fit. The best fit next to Trae is actually Huerter or Cam or both one as sf. 

But man if this Edwards 🐜 is better than Ja then I don’t really care about the fit. BPA Nellie always.

• Like 1