• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Knicks

lethalweapon3

Please keep in mind that with Edwards people think he is playing off guard and SF the whole time but unless the backup point Wheeler is in the game for UGA the ball handler is absolutely Edwards no matter what position in Crean's very loose offense. Positives and minuses to that so far in their schedule but understand what people see in him because he is physically abnormally strong for a ball handler and can really finish. He is defended like Trae is for us so results will vary right now but it is a bit ridiculous with what he can actually do. His plus ones are pretty impressive, lots of contact but no matter.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

The NBA sends players where it wants...hometown, commish benefits, etc.

1985-Ewing Knicks per Stern

Commish in the past was the NBA's Vladimir Putin. I will however be somewhat polite since there is a serious medical situation for him now. But agree that a little non anti bias Hawks action in the draft would be justified. Just remember we had to trade a junkie and a million dollars to land Nique here.... Ok....now am apologizing for trashing Drew because I truly loved that guy as I think you already know and actually saw him at Gresham Park balling. Gotta pad the ego for him you know but it was just so awesome. I was actually at lunch from work. A bit late getting back, you understand right? Do know a guy that gave him some trouble at Gresham because he was a solid defender and played for Southern Tech. Am trying to tease your interest here you know. It was cool stuff. You got that incredible San Diego State stuff but this is all I can offer that is off the map. Thought I would edit this post to get your attention roundball guru that you are @Spud2nique. Appreciate your out of the box views don't you know.     

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NBASupes said:

You think so? I don't 

Edwards pounds the rock and doesn't play off the ball well. You basically creating a poor man's Houston Rockets with Harden and Westbrook. He is also very turnover prone and his style of play leads to inconsistency and losses.

I also don't think Edwards is that good yet on offense. He will take time just like everyone else. I don't see a Zion this year. Someone who is a game changer from the rip. I honestly think Edwards best role in year 1 is being a 6th man like Harden was with the Thunder. 

I personally think he is a bigger and stronger Donovan Mitchell who lacks a lot of polish that Mitchell didn't out of college. It will take some time for Edwards but he is clearly better than anyone else is in draft class to me. Highest upside as well.

I don't think complement each other well. I think the perfect complement for Young would be modern Paul George. Clearly no young player in my eyes. If I had a choice, I'll say Paul George and Klay Thompson or Paul George and Phoenix Joe Johnson. Those would be the best complements. Anyone who can play two way wings, got size, can defend PGs and switch on matchups and can shoot their asses off. Also doesn't demand too much usage

So in other words, we're screwed, Because we dont have a Klay, Paul, or JJ on the roster..Cam could develop into a George or JJ type of player, but by that time Trae will be a FA. smh. Who  could we sign in 2020 that compliments Trae? I knew whn we drafted him, it was gonna be difficult trying to put the right pieces around him. Its hard to find another Klay Thompson or PG.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, terrell said:

So in other words, we're screwed, Because we dont have a Klay, Paul, or JJ on the roster..Cam could develop into a George or JJ type of player, but by that time Trae will be a FA. smh. Who  could we sign in 2020 that compliments Trae? I knew whn we drafted him, it was gonna be difficult trying to put the right pieces around him. Its hard to find another Klay Thompson or PG.

I don't think Cam is either a Klay type or a PG type. 

I don't know what Cam is yet considering how raw he is on offense. 

I am convinced Hunter can be a rich man's Shane Battier and Huerter can be Mike Miller Lite. 

We just need to keep building. Don't worry about what best fits Trae and go BPA. 

For 2020, we need a rim protecting center who fits our system to a T where they set great screens, rebound on defense, cover ground on defense and play hard every possession. Center is a position where fitting Trae does matter. 

Edited by NBASupes

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I am convinced Hunter can be a rich man's Shane Battier and Huerter can be Mike Miller Lite. 

We just need to keep building. Don't worry about what best fits Trae and go BPA. 

I agree. BPA...Btw, I said JJ or PG. I He'll never be able to shoot like KLay.

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

For 2020, we need a rim protecting center who fits our system to a T where they set great screens, rebound on defense, cover ground on defense and play hard every possession. Center is a position where fitting Trae does matter. 

I've kind of fallen off drafting a center with the first pick unless he's the best player available.  We need to get a vet defensive center. You are absolutely 100% correct here supes. Now who that is...shrugs.

Edited by marco102
  • Like 1

I’m late to the party but let me chime in on Edwards some again here…

I think Georgia really needs to put Sahvir Wheeler in the starting lineup soon (not just give him major PT), or you’re not going to learn much at all from here on about him. When it’s not Wheeler handling, it’s mainly Edwards even though he’s not a PG, and he gets big time blitzed.

He’s a good offensive transition player and cutter off the ball right now (sometimes his teammates find him, sometimes they do not, that’s the issue with being on a not as good team). Needs to improve in other areas but shows the ability. To me he’s shown that he can attack off the dribble if the matchup is favorable for him. There’s been times where he’s forced the issue instead of waiting to figure out what the good matchup is. I think he’ll shoot but so far, the jumper has been up and down.

FWIW: It’s been said he had a lower body problem before the last game. So, he wasn’t healthy. It probably wouldn’t have mattered though.

Pretty much everything Georgia does right now when he’s in is to try to set up on offense for him (for him to try to score or try to pass). I don’t think you’re going to learn much about his off-ball abilities outside of cutting (which is on video already to me), and hopefully as long as all goes as well as possible, he’ll be able to improve in choosing matchups.

But if Tom Crean doesn’t scrap the idea of having Edwards “start” with the ball before moving him off, and eventually end up with a starting lineup looking like Wheeler/Edwards/Harris (coming off suspension)/Hammonds/Howard, then NBA evaluators are in serious trouble on him period as we go into the New Year.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, macdaddy said:

I'll admit that I was wrong when I thought Turner and Crabbe wouldn't be completely useless.  

Never got over the shock of trading for Turner and his contract but did think that if Crabbe got onboard with us mentally he would help with our three point percentage. So far both have been busts and am not seeing any light coming from them. Am getting used to being wrong this season.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, Lurker said:

I’m late to the party but let me chime in on Edwards some again here…

I think Georgia really needs to put Sahvir Wheeler in the starting lineup soon (not just give him major PT), or you’re not going to learn much at all from here on about him. When it’s not Wheeler handling, it’s mainly Edwards even though he’s not a PG, and he gets big time blitzed.

Very much agree. Fagan is the only other guy that can handle the ball at all who is active. Harris when he becomes available has shown some competence though inconsistent but for strong ball handling it is just little man big heart Wheeler and Edwards. Unfortunately they both should be on the floor 35 minutes or more in every closely contested game.

• Moderators

OT: During pregame thread prep. I realized I was Zero Years Old when learning that there were Deleted Scenes of John Carpenter's "Escape from New York", starring Kurt Russell as the hero Snake, at what were then pretty new MARTA stations in Atlanta! (Arena/Dome/GWCC and what's gotta be West Lake station with the separate platform). Those cozy seats, too!

"WELCOME TO SAN FRANCISCO!" That bag must've been the rent money! lol

~lw3

18 hours ago, AHF said:

Guys - I've seen wayyy too much name calling on this thread.  Don't call each other "idiots, garbage, nuthugger, etc."  It is all personal insults as a poor substitution for actual discussion.  Let's be better than that.

If you put "village" in front of idiot it becomes a term of endearment. He's not just anybody's idiot. He's OUR idiot. 😁

All right, all right. I'll yield. But can we at least put an end to the constant "Fire LP" mantra in every post during every game where the Hawks are losing (although interestingly enough those posts are no where to be found when Hawks actually play well)?  

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

If you put "village" in front of idiot it becomes a term of endearment. He's not just anybody's idiot. He's OUR idiot. 😁

All right, all right. I'll yield. But can we at least put an end to the constant "Fire LP" mantra in every post during every game where the Hawks are losing (although interestingly enough those posts are no where to be found when Hawks actually play well)?  

Once again, we've lost 18 of our last 21 games.

We have the worst point differential in the league.

We've lost 7 games by 20 points or more ( 3 of them involving the Knicks and Chicago twice )

And we've lost 15 of our 21 games by double digits.

This . . for a team that many predicted to either barely miss the playoffs, or have a + .500 record and get in.  We all knew that the team would struggle in November, but maybe find their groove in December.   If Collins comes back, and we magically win 7 out of 10, all of the talk will cool down, and rightfully so.

If it doesn't, expect the chatter to intensify.

The problem I personally have with LP, is that I'm finding very few things that he does well as a coach.  I don't like his lineups, because they are unbalanced.  I don't like his in-game adjustments, because they often involve adding more potential scoring, instead of more defense.  And I don't like the fact that he's either putting our rookies in "can't win" situations vs bigger players, or not developing them at all ( at least in one rookie's case ).

Winning cures all.  Being competitive cures a little.   Seeing that your team is well coached at least puts you at ease . . somewhat.

Right now, all 3 are missing for the most part.

So while I'm not on the "fire LP" bandwagon, I'm not supporting his current line of coaching either.   If he loses the support of Trae, it's definitely over for him.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, REHawksFan said:

If someone starts breaching rules by spamming feel free to report their posts and we'll try to address the issue.  In the absence of outright trolling (posting disingenuously to provoke an emotional reaction) or problem spamming, I'm not going to stop people from venting on a player or a coach even if they've made the point before, just like I won't stop someone from posting again about their love of a coach or player.  

I do agree that it is kind of pathetic for people to either show up only to cheer their guy when things are good but be silent when the team or player struggles or to show up only to bash their guy when things are bad but be silent when the player or team is doing well but try to make your posts about the content rather than the poster such as noting that it is hard to have a discussion about the coach when the poster doesn't show up during the good games.  Kind of like talking about someone's shooting only when they miss shots.  You need to look at the total record.  

I do think the posts are genuine, however, and there is obviously legitimate ground to second-guess or criticize some of the things LP does.  Even LP has acknowledged this.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

I see more warranted criticism of Pierce than actual calls to have him fired. I missed that

I worry this possibly could be favorable and disastrous together. In one way, Pierce's seat comes to be warm and the unrest in the locker room may trickle down on the court. Irritatedness of our celebrity may steer to modifications in staff for the better, for a larger proportion, it appears like tremendous chaos.

23 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Gonna quickly brush on this. Mentioned this before. The NBA sends players where it wants...hometown, commish benefits, etc.

1985-Ewing Knicks per Stern

2003- Lebron hometown 

2004- Dwight NOT HOMETOWN 🧐 

2008- Rose 🌹 Chicago hometown

2011- Kyrie to Cavs (shady lbj left)

2012- Ant 🐜 Davis stern/pels owner..

2013- Cavs againnnn!!! Stern/Gilbert

2014- Cavs again!! Stern/Gil last deal retired

2019- Pels losing 🐜 need Zion. 🤝 

The NBA needs to hand 🖐 us Edwards whether we have the 2nd worst or the 9th worst record. Fix it like before and make us win. The young man Edwards stays in Georgia. 

So did they try and give us Luka? lol

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Fixed it for ya!

giphy.gif

The small ball lineups when we're getting killed on the boards, is what irritates me the most though.  Vince playing PF makes absolutely no sense at all, when you have another big that can at least hold his own defensively against opposing 4s.

The "Brunout" has pissed me off though, no doubt.

• Like 1