• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Karl Anthony Towns availability rumor actually has legs

NBASupes

KAT just turned 24 and he's signed for 4.5 more years. 1) The Wolves are going to do everything in their power not to trade him. 2) If it comes to it, their demands will probably exceed any of the suggestions in this thread. His talent+age+contract makes him perhaps the most valuable (possible) trade piece ever. 

We would still have to average a league high or close to it in points scored to have a winning record with KAT so how is that saying ok to losing JC, Cam/Hunter, Kevin and two first rounders that at least should count. Almost feels we are going somewhat sideways and losing a piar of firsts as well.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Thomas said:

We would still have to average a league high or close to it in points scored to have a winning record with KAT so how is that saying ok to losing JC, Cam/Hunter, Kevin and two first rounders that at least should count. Almost feels we are going somewhat sideways and losing a piar of firsts as well.

Well you have to remember that we would still have massive cap space.

in any such deal it’s likely not going to include ALL our young players anyhow. I’m sure we’d keep cam or hunter . Minnesota wouldn’t want that many young players back anyhow....they already have Wiggins and culver, add JC, their lottery pick, our lottery pick, nets pick and I’m sure they’d feel they have plenty of youth.

also in my opinion I think Covington would be a good player to get back along with KAT. Covington is actual product of LP, one that I recall reading that LP had a lot to do with Covington’s defensive improvement that got him on 1st team all defense with philly a few years back so I’d welcome Covington to ATL as well.

59 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Not necessarily true.

Part of the problem with our defense, is that we give up a ton of points in transition off of missed shots.  When your offense becomes better, you reduce the opportunities for easy points to be scored on you.

• Like 2

What would happen if those young assets doesn't pan out then you have a situation that Young might have "wandering eyes" to another team that will be closer to win a championship to a team that have expectations but keep being in the lottery (i.e  Kings) and having cap space doesn't ensure that we will get a player that will help (i.e. this years veterans).  Then this team will be back at square one again.

For the trade, I wouldn't do it but we cant just except our youngers to become world-beaters only be Flops at the end.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, High5 said:

KAT just turned 24 and he's signed for 4.5 more years. 1) The Wolves are going to do everything in their power not to trade him. 2) If it comes to it, their demands will probably exceed any of the suggestions in this thread. His talent+age+contract makes him perhaps the most valuable (possible) trade piece ever. 

He apparently wants out...Minny may have no choice. From what I read they're going to try to get a pairing with a young player that he likes first but it sounds more on the lines of he just might be leaving.

Edited by Lurker

2 hours ago, NekiEcko said:

What would happen if those young assets doesn't pan out then you have a situation that Young might have "wandering eyes" to another team that will be closer to win a championship to a team that have expectations but keep being in the lottery (i.e  Kings) and having cap space doesn't ensure that we will get a player that will help (i.e. this years veterans).  Then this team will be back at square one again.

For the trade, I wouldn't do it but we cant just except our youngers to become world-beaters only be Flops at the end.

Yup that’s the thing...if shit don’t pan out based on what Schlenk has drafted then they’ll look back at opportunities such as this one possibly and wish they pursued it harder.

That’s the tough part about being a nba gm...these decisions can make you or break you in this league 

1 hour ago, JTB said:

That’s the tough part about being a nba gm...these decisions can make you or break you in this league 

This type of deal should be the easy one imo. Trading for an elite superstar in his prime with 4 yrs left on his deal is the very definition of low risk. I would argue it's virtually impossible to give up too much in that kind of deal.

It's also virtually impossible to look like a loser in the minds of the fans as everyone would see you are trying by trading for a superstar.  

Still think we would give up too much. Anyway if it does happen hope somehow our highlight reel combo stays though that would be highly unlikely. Plus just don't project our young tradable guys as probable flops when three of them are just rookies and one of those is the best defensive guy we have at the ripe old age of twenty. Will a somewhat reasonable deal possibly occur if he starts making the wrong headlines up in Minnesota? As in we keep JC. Either way we will see how the Wolves handle a disgruntled KAT. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Some of you guys undervalue the impact a real superstar can make.

Last year the Lakers didn’t make the playoffs and weren’t considered a contender even with the arguably best player in the league and a somewhat talented supporting cast.

They replaced those players with 1!! superstar and are now legit contenders.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

Last year the Lakers didn’t make the playoffs and weren’t considered a contender even with the arguably best player in the league and a somewhat talented supporting cast.

Only 1 problem with your theory ....Towns isn't a superstar.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Only 1 problem with your theory ....Towns isn't a superstar.

Depends on how you define superstar. It's quite subjective. I tend to agree that KAT is one rung or half rung below a superstar but then I generally define superstar as the Top 4-5 players in the league that also have that outside buzz or excitement about them (highly subjective I know).  

Anyway, I think KAT is easily a Top 10 player in the league but he probably doesn't have that buzz around him that others do, but that could just be because he plays in small market Minnesota.

In terms of quality of player, the only guys - to me - that are CLEARLY better than he is are (no particular order):

Giannis

LBJ

AD

Kawhi

PG

Harden

I put KAT in a group with Dame, Embiid, Luka, Trae, and Butler as elite players but not quite superstar level yet. 

All that said, KAT is, imo, close enough to superstar level that the trade makes sense to me. I'd do it in a heartbeat. JC, Kev, either Cam OR Hunter plus picks and it's a done deal for me. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

Well, I don't know how legit they actually are. That team is extremely flawed. LeBron and AD are also both better than KAT.

Just now, High5 said:

Well, I don't know how legit they actually are. That team is extremely flawed. LeBron and AD are also both better than KAT.

I can make the case that KAT and AD are just about equivalent. I just hope you don’t need me to so I can save the energy 😂