• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Karl Anthony Towns availability rumor actually has legs

NBASupes

On 12/31/2019 at 9:32 AM, JayBirdHawk said:

For the record, I don't think any KAT deal will happen before the offseason when Minny knows where draft picks for 2020 will land if they are even inclined to move him this quickly.

I think that is the bet also. They will probably push for the playoffs to keep KAT happy. They were actually playing pretty well a few weeks ago. Then they went into the tank and KAT got injured as well.

Trae and KAT would be a impressive set of building blocks. I would like to keep at least one of Hunter, Huerter, Collins, and/or this years lottery pick. I am pretty sure though the Timberwolves are going to want a lottery pick.

Pelicans could make a good play for him as well with their pick. A healthy Zion and KAT would be brutal.

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm think they'll try and improve the team around him over the next 2+ years and if no pallatable success will look to move him then.

I agree and believe they think he is ready. Putting solid players around him to win now made sense. Ingram taking off has been a nice surprise for them.

I do think we could put together as good a package as anyone by including our lottery pick. I think they will demand one as it gives them another high upside cheap contract.

With Wiggins and Dieng on the books and to a lesser extent Covingtop, draft picks and cheap rookie deals will be their priority.

50 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I agree and believe they think he is ready. Putting solid players around him to win now made sense. Ingram taking off has been a nice surprise for them.

I do think we could put together as good a package as anyone by including our lottery pick. I think they will demand one as it gives them another high upside cheap contract.

With Wiggins and Dieng on the books and to a lesser extent Covingtop, draft picks and cheap rookie deals will be their priority.

Yeah I think both @JayBirdHawk and @NBASupes made good points on what will happen with KAT

For supes point:

I think he’s right on the money that this off season is probably the best off season for the T Wolves to cash in BIG.....acquire a young talent, dump a bit of salary, and also get multiple draft picks via trade.

i do believe the longer you wait the less you will get back and on top of that if they could actually get a trade package of say John Collins, a expiring contract, maybe Cam or Hunter and let’s say hypothetically we win the nba draft which means Edwards or Wiseman guaranteed, plus additional first rd picks ....I don’t care what anyone says the T Wolves are looking at that deal very hard! It’s too good to pass up.

for one I don’t think the Minnesota front office is or has ever been any better than Atlanta in the past or present therefore if I don’t think they are going to put anything around KAT to fulfill his wishes plus KAT & Wiggins contracts are killing them at this point then on top of their contracts you got Dieng for a few more years and Covington who’s not on a bad deal but hey it’s there too. They don’t have much room to make the team better unless they get trades done and I don’t have great faith in their trade negotiations to build a contender.

For Queen of the squawk point:

regardless of what I said above jaybird is right as well. KAT is in year 1 of a long term nba contract and likely to the Minny franchise it makes more sense to hold on to KAT and see if they can somehow build a winner.

however lol....regardless if they trade KAT to the hawks or not I think it’s best they go the Sam Presti OKC route cause again with the large contracts of KAT & Wiggins they are trapped and on top of that they aren’t going anywhere with those two leading the way...so cash in now get a rising young talent (like Collins), get some more assets (unprotected lottery picks), get rid of some other invaluable players on bad contracts and the rebuild will be way more graceful than it was when they lost both KG and Love....

Edited by JTB

36 minutes ago, JTB said:

Yeah I think both @JayBirdHawk and @NBASupes made good points on what will happen with KAT

For supes point:

I think he’s right on the money that this off season is probably the best off season for the T Wolves to cash in BIG.....acquire a young talent, dump a bit of salary, and also get multiple draft picks via trade.

i do believe the longer you wait the less you will get back and on top of that if they could actually get a trade package of say John Collins, a expiring contract, maybe Cam or Hunter and let’s say hypothetically we win the nba draft which means Edwards or Wiseman guaranteed, plus additional first rd picks ....I don’t care what anyone says the T Wolves are looking at that deal very hard! It’s too good to pass up.

for one I don’t think the Minnesota front office is or has ever been any better than Atlanta in the past or present therefore if I don’t think they are going to put anything around KAT to fulfill his wishes plus KAT & Wiggins contracts are killing them at this point then on top of their contracts you got Dieng for a few more years and Covington who’s not on a bad deal but hey it’s there too. They don’t have much room to make the team better unless they get trades done and I don’t have great faith in their trade negotiations to build a contender.

For Queen of the squawk point:

regardless of what I said above jaybird is right as well. KAT is in year 1 of a long term nba contract and likely to the Minny franchise it makes more sense to hold on to KAT and see if they can somehow build a winner.

however lol....regardless if they trade KAT to the hawks or not I think it’s best they go the Sam Presti OKC route cause again with the large contracts of KAT & Wiggins they are trapped and on top of that they aren’t going anywhere with those two leading the way...so cash in now get a rising young talent (like Collins), get some more assets (unprotected lottery picks), get rid of some other invaluable players on bad contracts and the rebuild will be way more graceful than it was when they lost both KG and Love....

The Timberwolves could get to a max contract point if they can dump Dieng and Covington; while renouncing Teague to let him walk next season. They have options there. Dieng has two years left at 16.2 this season and 17.2 million the next season; then Covington has three seasons left on a better deal.

I think some playoff teams value Covington's D but not Dieng's price, so a pick would probably have to travel with Dieng. Doing all that would leave Minnesota scrambling for depth and if they miss on the FA market they would be in a much tougher spot trying to make the playoffs to keep KAT happy. In a nutshell, even if they do create cap, they are in a tough spot due to next seasons free agent market not being a great one.

I honestly would not mind a flyer on Dieng and/or Covington except that will handicap us a little in 2022 when that great FA class is available. Maybe just one of them and the hurt would not be so much. The trade deadline and then the draft will be crazy once again for us Hawks fans. I am pretty sure something will happen at least during one of them.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

The Timberwolves could get to a max contract point if they can dump Dieng and Covington; while renouncing Teague to let him walk next season. They have options there. Dieng has two years left at 16.2 this season and 17.2 million the next season; then Covington has three seasons left on a better deal.

I think some playoff teams value Covington's D but not Dieng's price, so a pick would probably have to travel with Dieng. Doing all that would leave Minnesota scrambling for depth and if they miss on the FA market they would be in a much tougher spot trying to make the playoffs to keep KAT happy. In a nutshell, even if they do create cap, they are in a tough spot due to next seasons free agent market not being a great one.

I honestly would not mind a flyer on Dieng and/or Covington except that will handicap us a little in 2022 when that great FA class is available. Maybe just one of them and the hurt would not be so much. The trade deadline and then the draft will be crazy once again for us Hawks fans. I am pretty sure something will happen at least during one of them.

I’m with you! I would take on Dieng or Covington’s contract to pair Trae and KAT together....whatever it takes!

the great thing about the hawks situation is we are unlikely to lose all our young assets in any trade ....just two of the four in Collins (surely gone in any deal for a guy like KAT), Cam, Hunter, Reddish, Huerter. In a deal with the Wolves I’d prefer to give them Huerter along with JC to keep Cam and Hunter for defensive purposes since the offense would be fine with Trae and KAT. But if we are getting back convington in the deal we could surely let cam or hunter be apart of the deal & We’d still have a bit of cap space to fill out the rest of the team around Trae and KAT.

To me the most attractive trade in any scenario would be only getting KAT from minny regardless of who we have to give away outside of Trae of course...because then with still plenty of cap space I honestly believe Schlenk could get top free agents to look at Atlanta with Trae and KAT on the roster already. In fact I’d be shocked if he couldn’t get a top free agent to look in Atlanta’s direction.

it all seems so surreal when we are talking about these possibilities but hey if we were Boston and it was Ainge running the show there’d be threads titled “so when Towns get here...” 🤣

22 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

No surprise. 

He's in year 1 of his new 5 year deal, there is no rush. They'll at least try to upgrade the team around him over the next 2 years before looking to move him.

I guess I can stop crying now 😢.. 😆 

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Because the Minny fans said otherwise and I messaged several others I trusted in media and they said nope!

What changed was my guy told me what was being said during the G league events and that also becoming public info. So my guess is the NYpost writer got a lead on a story and was right. Towns does want them to make a move or he is out. 

The issue is, no one wants to sell players at a major discount. 

Makes trades for guys like D. Russell really hard. Minny still doesn't want to not have to sell. He has four years left on his deal. But if they want a king's ransom, the timing ain't right yet. 

From my personal belief, they could get a lot more in 2021 when Giannis is available in FA but if they want the most draft picks, 2020 might be the year to strike for them.

Rosas will have options.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/d412ad79-0cc1-463e-ac8a-e2c11b999d42

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, JTB said:

2 hours ago, Buzzard said:

I have a very radical suggestion for Minny at the deadline:

Trade for Chris Paul (he would have 2 years left on his contract which will line up with the next 2 years of KAT). They should be able to get at least a 1st round pick from OKC for taking his contract. Minny sends out Teague and Dieng. Minny needs a real PG to maximize Towns. KAT maybe their best player but then need an on court general. CP3 can be a total ass, but i think he can help Minny. He's been playing well for OKC.

CP3, Culver, Wiggins, Covington, KAT.

They can also opt to load manage CP3 for the rest of the season (deoending on their record at the deadkine) , so Minny can get their lottery pick to use in trade to help fill out the roster or make the pick. 

That'll give them a 2 year window.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Trade for Chris Paul (he would have 2 years left on his contract which will line up with the next 2 years of KAT). They should be able to get at least a 1st round pick from OKC for taking his contract. Minny sends out Teague and Dieng. Minny needs a real PG to maximize Towns. KAT maybe their best player but then need an on court general. CP3 can be a total ass, but i think he can help Minny. He's been playing well for OKC.

They can also opt to load manage CP3 for the rest of the season (deoending on their record at the deadkine) , so Minny can get their lottery pick to use in trade to help fill out the roster or make the pick. 

Yooooo who side are you on ???? 😂 

no in all seriousness that’s a great trade for minny. I hate it for okc though lol....unless they are planning to tank completely instead of the rebuild while winning as much as possible strategy they are currently doing.

presti has so many assets right now all while his team is a 7th seed at the current moment it’s hard to truly figure out what the exact plan in okc is in my opinion and seem like they have all leverage in every negotiation with almost every team out there. 

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
On 1/2/2020 at 1:13 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

Ok, but what makes you think OKC is trading Paul? OKC has been playing lights out and Paul has been great. 

• Moderators
17 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

Ok, but what makes you think OKC is trading Paul? OKC has been playing lights out and Paul has been great. 

I think OKC knows that this is fools gold.

Although i will say that there is really no one to fear that much in the west other than the Lakers.  The others all have their issues.  

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, macdaddy said:

i will say that there is really no one to fear that much in the west other than the Lakers

Was hoping to never hear that phrase again ever. Jeez.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3