• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

[Winter 2020] Woj Rumor: Drummmmmnd to ATL talks happening

kg01

1 minute ago, AHF said:

Color me super uninterested in getting a 35 year old center averaging 8.4 pp36 on 36% shooting to go with 8.5 rp36.  Bear in mind that Alex Len puts up 17.1 pp36 on 55.4% shooting to go with 10.6 rp36.  Gasol has gone over the hill at this point in his career and the fall-off seems to be pretty steep.

Then offer me a combo guard who averages 2 assists per 36 to go with a career 39.2% FG% and 36.5% 3pt%?  Talk about pedestrian.  That isn't a sharp shooter.  That is a mediocre (at best) shooter who is having a career season.  Galloway's career TS% is a puke inducing .516% TS%.  His current .597% is a mirage.

No thank you.  I'll keep Len (who is better than Gasol at this point) and our 2nd rounder.

I cannot hate Cam's potential this much.  A 4 month trial of anyone isn't worth that, IMO.  I suspect the team liked Cam before the draft and still likes his long-term potential and always viewed him as someone who would take time to ripen.  His defense is already NBA ready and his offense has been terrible but steadily improving.

I can see your point on Len/Gasol but I disagree that Gasol is worse than Len. Gasol defense is still one of the best in the NBA. He is still an excellent player. He just doesn't have much juice anymore offensively but his screens are still great, he passes the ball exceptionally well and he still an impact player. His WAR 1.8 to Len's .8. That's a significant gap. That said, I see your point and I threw in the 2nd just because of Galloway play this year. I've watched him play, I don't think it's a mirage. Him and Rose have been excellent together. 

1 minute ago, REHawksFan said:

What's the point in trading Len and a pick for Gasol and Galloway? Both are done after this year and Gasol certainly doesn't seem like a long term answer. Are you trading Len and a pick for Galloway and hoping to re-sign him? 

Nope. I just thought it would be hard to get DET to come off of Galloway. Thon Maker is trash. 

• Moderators

What's a recent example of a contender that was paying max salary to a inside only scoring center.  It's a waste of money to have him on at $34 million. 

(and don't give me Marc Gasol.  they have to pay him for one year and they won it all because they went all in with Kawhi.)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

1. Bad asset management 

2. I'll say again, if the BKN pick is included it has to come with his option being picked up for the 2020 season. That's how you test drive.

So if the test drive doesn't work out and we both move on we've more than likely won some more games this season with him which lowers our current lottery odds,  we don't have the BKN pick to be able to move up. 

1. I just don't value the pick much at all. The combination of the Hawks current roster being so young AND the reported lack of quality depth to the draft makes me less interested in any potential player taken in the 17-20 range.

2. I'm fine with the 2020 season being picked up. I'd prefer it as well. But it's not a deal breaker for me.

3. So you are willing to use the BKN pick to trade up a few spots for an unproven player but not to trade for a proven commodity to see how he fits with the team? And to trade up for who? By all accounts there's no sure fire elite player or superstar in this draft.  

I just don't see this draft as being hugely important to the Hawks future. I'll take my chances with where ever the Hawks land in the lottery but beyond that, I'm much more interested in adding vets and quality established players to play along side Trae, JC, Kev, Cam, and Hunter.  

Marc Gasol plays exactly our style. He plays at the top of the key. 

Elite passer for a center

Elite screen setter. 

Always in the right spot unlike everyone not named John. 

Communicates on defense. 

TOR doesn't use him on PnRs. They exclusively use him on PnPs. 

Gasol doesn't move well but he defends smaller players better than Len and unlike Len, he doesn't give the offense easy clean looks off of screens. 

Gasol doesn't do things that show up on the stat sheet but he is a CLEARLY better player, even on his last leg. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 3

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I can see something like this happening the most: 

Hawks trade Len, Parsons and a future 2nd rounder

Pistons trade Drummond and Galloway

Raptors trade 2020 or 2021 1st rounder and Marc Gasol

Hawks get Gasol and Galloway

Pistons get TOR 1st, Len, Parsons, and a future 2nd rounder

Raps get Drummond and he opts in his 2nd year of his deal. 

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yjmsuc7n

Why? 

DET gets their 1st they want, saves 3 million dollars, and gets a center to replace Drummond for the rest of the season. 

ATL gets a legit starting center who can communicate extremely well and play good defense and set good screens, they get a legit sharpshooter to add into the rotation. Can move Bruno to the 2nd string which is better for him at this stage of his career. 

TOR gets a younger center who is good, he opts in to 2020-21 so he doesn't get in the way of 2021 (Giannis) but gets to play for a potential contender and the defending champs. 

No to Gasol atbthis point in his career.

Wonder if Houston would be interested.

Drummond to Houston

Capella to Atlanta

We send the BKN 1st to Detroit (Capella is signed for 3 years at $18 mil so I am Ok with sending the pick)

24 minutes ago, txsting said:

We should be so lucky as to get a trial of Drummond for Cam and Parsons.  It allows Detroit to save face by getting an allegedly high upside prospect.  And we would keep that BKN pick which could easily be Halliburton or Tre Jones, providing a backup/partner for Trae.

Cam's offense by month is improving and he's shown defensive potential for a rookie. Easy no.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

1. I just don't value the pick much at all. The combination of the Hawks current roster being so young AND the reported lack of quality depth to the draft makes me less interested in any potential player taken in the 17-20 range.

2. I'm fine with the 2020 season being picked up. I'd prefer it as well. But it's not a deal breaker for me.

3. So you are willing to use the BKN pick to trade up a few spots for an unproven player but not to trade for a proven commodity to see how he fits with the team? And to trade up for who? By all accounts there's no sure fire elite player or superstar in this draft.  

I just don't see this draft as being hugely important to the Hawks future. I'll take my chances with where ever the Hawks land in the lottery but beyond that, I'm much more interested in adding vets and quality established players to play along side Trae, JC, Kev, Cam, and Hunter.  

1. The pick is more than the value of a player you get in the draft until you actually use it. 

2. Deal breaker for me. CP3 did it to facilitate his trade from LAC to HOU. The deal was contingent on Paul picking up his option.

3. That's exactly how we used our BKN pick last year to go get Hunter. Not when there's a chance he can leave us for nothing, a worse draft position and now no 2nd pick.

I don't follow College basketball so I won't speak to the draft prospects.

• Like 3

Can I ask a general question.

Honestly off the top of your head, which star ⭐️ in the NBA throughout history has had no impact on winning like Drummond, puts up crazy numbers, gets traded to another team and suddenly becomes a winner?

Nobody. I don’t think I can think of any examples. 

Now, a lot of people are saying that Trae’s game will unlock Drummond’s? Great, unlock it to what though, another 20/20 game but an L.

I want someone on the Hawks who impacts winning. 

One point on this that helps Drummond’s case, the Pistons have never had anyone good playing with him, that’s the only thing I can think of to give him the benefit of change as a player in a trade to us.

I’d personally like us to stand pat and pass on Drummond.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:
16 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

1. The pick is more than the value of a player you get in the draft until you actually use it.

Yes! It’s valued as a gold chip 🏆 but sometimes it turns to 💩.

• Like 1