• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Change in rebuild?

Vol4ever

• Premium Member

I was reading a article in the Athletic and some other places that the Hawks are wanting to speed up the rebuild.  Fans, players, and ownership are tired of loosing.  Obviously this is why all the trade rumors we are hearing.  I know this has been discussed some on the board but to see writers now reporting about it adds fuel to the fire.   It will be interesting the next few days.  Will the hawks pull the trigger now or wait til summer.  

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

I was reading a article in the Athletic and some other places that the Hawks are wanting to speed up the rebuild.  Fans, players, and ownership are tired of loosing.  Obviously this is why all the trade rumors we are hearing.  I know this has been discussed some on the board but to see writers now reporting about it adds fuel to the fire.   It will be interesting the next few days.  Will the hawks pull the trigger now or wait til summer.  

This was being reported 4 weeks ago when the Drummond trade interest was 1st reported.

Can you post links or snippets to recent articles?

This is from Chris Kirchner's latest article:

What we know about Schlenk is he’s not going to make any move just to say he made a trade to satisfy a fan base that wants an improved roster as soon as possible. He could have done that last year at the deadline when Prince, Dewayne Dedmon and Jeremy Lin were available. None of those players ultimately was traded before the deadline.

24 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

The effort last night was pitiful on the defensive end and that has been the theme all season. That radio interview @JayBirdHawk provided with Schlenk was disturbing. I thought LP was both a development minded coach and a defensive minded coach. In that interview though Schlenk only praised him for being thought of as a great developer.

I think they will do something between now and the start of next season. Hopefully it will be at least enough to chase a 8th seed next season.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, High5 said:

I don't think the rebuild is being sped up. Schlenk was always going to try to find trades for his expiring contracts.

Honestly, to this point, Travis’s history with trading expiring deals is very spotty.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, High5 said:

I don't think the rebuild is being sped up. Schlenk was always going to try to find trades for his expiring contracts.

I don't either. I think he wants to make moves to improve the team overall and this is pretty much where he expected us to be.

2 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Honestly, to this point, Travis’s history with trading expiring deals is very spotty.  

You can say that about every GM's history. Maybe two a season happen at the most.

Edited by Buzzard

3 hours ago, Buzzard said:

The effort last night was pitiful on the defensive end and that has been the theme all season. That radio interview @JayBirdHawk provided with Schlenk was disturbing. I thought LP was both a development minded coach and a defensive minded coach. In that interview though Schlenk only praised him for being thought of as a great developer.

I think they will do something between now and the start of next season. Hopefully it will be at least enough to chase a 8th seed next season.

Why would Schlenk go on the radio to praise LP about being a great defensive coach when the team is not playing good defense?   Not many young teams committ to defense. It took Denver about 2 to 3 years with their young core to play defense.  This is a process.

Why is it distrubing? 

Edited by marco102
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, marco102 said:

Why would Schlenk go on the radio to praise LP about being a great defensive coach when the team is not playing good defense?   Not many young teams committ to defense. It took Denver about 2 to 3 years with their young core to play defense.  This is a process.

Why is it distrubing? 

It was not in answer to a question about any praise. It was a direct question as to the thoughts behind the hire. The only thoughts mentioned was his ability to develop players and relate to players. No mention of strategy on either end of the floor was given a mention as to a reason behind the hire.

If you don't know why strategy is important and when its missing is disturbing, I got no answer for you.

8 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

It was not in answer to a question about any praise. It was a direct question as to the thoughts behind the hire. The only thoughts mentioned was his ability to develop players and relate to players. No mention of strategy on either end of the floor was given a mention as to a reason behind the hire.

If you don't know why strategy is important and when its missing is disturbing, I got no answer for you.

1. Don't come at me all condescending when my post was respectful to you.

2. If the NBA didn't think Pierce was a great X's and O's coach, he would not have been invited to be on team USA this year. 

3. Again, why are you overreacting about everything when this team has been injured, suspended and super young.  Stop acting like you're being objective about LP when you clearly have a problem with LP. 

Edited by marco102
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This was being reported 4 weeks ago when the Drummond trade interest was 1st reported.

Can you post links or snippets to recent articles?

This is from Chris Kirchner's latest article:

I am looking for this.  Read it last night and cant seem to find it.  It was in a nba article.  I will post when found.  

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, marco102 said:

1. Don't come at me all condescending when my post was respectful to you.

2. If the NBA didn't think Pierce was a great X's and O's coach, he would not have been invited to be on team USA this year. 

3. Again, why are you overreacting about everything when this team has been injured, suspended and super young.  Stop acting like you're being objective about LP when you clearly have a problem with LP. 

I am not over reacting. I think LP is better than Woody; but Woody was suppose to be a defensive coach. To me with all the switching, our D looks very similar to Woody's. I do not see any creativeness or game planning; much less half time adjustments.

Its the same old formula that has not worked defensively for a season and a half. In my mind this is due to two things:

1 - He does not know enough to change things up.

2- He is to hard headed to change things even when they are not working.

This is not his 1st season. He has coached over 120 regular season games. LP needs to learn more about defense; or he needs an assistant coach who is good at it to take over the D.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Buzzard said:

I am not over reacting. I think LP is better than Woody; but Woody was suppose to be a defensive coach. To me with all the switching, our D looks very similar to Woody's. I do not see any creativeness or game planning; much less half time adjustments.

Its the same old formula that has not worked defensively for a season and a half. In my mind this is due to two things:

1 - He does not know enough to change things up.

2- He is to hard headed to change things even when they are not working.

This is not his 1st season. He has coached over 120 regular season games. LP needs to learn more about defense; or he needs an assistant coach who is good at it to take over the D.

Yeah I'm sure it has nothing to do with not having players capable of playing defense. It's all because LP doesn't know defense. I'm sure that's it. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

Yeah I'm sure it has nothing to do with not having players capable of playing defense. It's all because LP doesn't know defense. I'm sure that's it. 

No one is saying that; but tell me the last time you saw LP try a different scheme. I understand with all the injuries we are a bad team; but I also understand that until recently we did have plenty of length and no shooters.

The same offense, shoot a lot of threes, the same defense, switch all night. And play Jones more minutes than Bruno for three solid months. When you evaluate a season everyone should be evaluated not just the players.

48 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

No one is saying that

You specifically stated the poor defense was due to 2 things:  

1. LP doesn't know enough to change up the defense; and

2. LP is too stubborn to change the defense. 

Where do you acknowledge the lack of players at all???? 

1 minute ago, REHawksFan said:

You specifically stated the poor defense was due to 2 things:  

1. LP doesn't know enough to change up the defense; and

2. LP is too stubborn to change the defense. 

Where do you acknowledge the lack of players at all???? 

I just assumed everyone knows we have no depth and have been starting two rookies for most of the season. I am not putting this all on LP, but I do not understand the thought process that he is above reproach.

A more experienced coach in my opinion would be good for 4 or 5 more wins. That is still in the lottery; but it is also more entertaining and favorable as well.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Buzzard said:

I just assumed everyone knows we have no depth and have been starting two rookies for most of the season. I am not putting this all on LP, but I do not understand the thought process that he is above reproach.

A more experienced coach in my opinion would be good for 4 or 5 more wins. That is still in the lottery; but it is also more entertaining and favorable as well.

LP is the savior, he don't have players, best coach in the NBA...…………….You cant argue with these folks.   I guarantee you if Bud was here we would be much better but I will get blasted for that because Bud wanted to win and not lose so he left.  

Its ironic that Schlenk keeps defending LP, that usually doesn't turn out well for the coach in the long run.  Ownership wants to see wins and improvement and that is not happening this year, excuses set aside.  All the trade rumors have been pushed from the top.  

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

LP is the savior, he don't have players, best coach in the NBA...…………….You cant argue with these folks.   I guarantee you if Bud was here we would be much better but I will get blasted for that because Bud wanted to win and not lose so he left.  

Its ironic that Schlenk keeps defending LP, that usually doesn't turn out well for the coach in the long run.  Ownership wants to see wins and improvement and that is not happening this year, excuses set aside.  All the trade rumors have been pushed from the top.  

The reality is that it is both.  Like LP is going to get outcoached by Carlisle.  He isn't on that level in 2020.  Carlisle is an outstanding coach and LP is not near that level yet.

The available players that we've had have put LP in a position where he would need to be an amazing coach to get even mediocre results from this roster.  He is just playing with a weak hand this year given the guys we have had and when people have been available (or, more to the point, unavailable).

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

Its ironic that Schlenk keeps defending LP, that usually doesn't turn out well for the coach in the long run.  Ownership wants to see wins and improvement and that is not happening this year, excuses set aside.

I agree with this 100%. This is probably the last season 76ers ownership continue making excuses for Brett Brown. Next season I think will be the last of them making excuses for LP. He is getting a pass this year due to all the crap lineups we've used. I don't think those passes will continue after next season.

If people think its unfair because Brown has been given many more seasons than LP, I say hogwash. If the 76ers don't get some good done this year, they hung on to Brown far to long to begin with.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

I agree with this 100%. This is probably the last season 76ers ownership continue making excuses for Brett Brown. Next season I think will be the last of them making excuses for LP. He is getting a pass this year due to all the crap lineups we've used. I don't think those passes will continue after next season.

If people think its unfair because Brown has been given many more seasons than LP, I say hogwash. If the 76ers don't get some good done this year, they hung on to Brown far to long to begin with.

I totally agree that Brown should go.  He lets those guys play lazy.  You can't do that.  There is no 'turning it on' for the  playoffs after a season of playing lazy.

In the Hawks situation though, there is no credible way to judge a coach's talent at gameplanning and in game decisions with a very young and sub par roster.   

• Thanks 3