• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Magic at Hawks

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, Vol4ever said:

Any updates on Capela?  I'm concerned.  

That dont help my worries.  He was supposed to play after the allstar break and he hasnt.  If he is just resting then the PR is piss poor by Hawks mgt.  

When did the bone bruise happen?  

10 hours ago, Cwell said:

he said himself he expected to be back after the all star break

.....and TS put the hold on that during the intro presser since Chelsea had not even examined him.

• Like 1

On further examination, Capela also had a bone bruise.  Takes a long time, apparently, to fully recover from a bad one.  Two more weeks, in the big picture, isn't a long time.  And, Skal is apparently healing nicely.

Bruno continues to cement his place on the team.  Young, raw and with a long learning curve.  He will slowly improve over a long period of time.  He's already much better than when we drafted him.

Hawks really needed Dedmon at his best last night.  Alas, he was unable to go and that messed up our entire rotation.

Trae was ill and questionable before tip off.  He played.  But, in the second half it caught up with him.  It was clear that his energy was all used up and he was just a shadow of our all star PG.

Will this season's Hawk team ever be 100% healthy for one game?  Doesn't look possible right now.

Communication on the floor is necessary for good defense.  From what I can read, this seems to be one of the main problems.  Defensive center, a communicator, we hope we have in Capela.  If he can accomplish this and be a great rebounder, rim protector, then Hawks should finish the season as a better team.

Next season we expect no championship run.  We do hope and expect a real shot of making the playoffs and our young lads gaining the experience.  Improvement every season is our goal.  Getting there takes time.  As it has been said here, we must not get in too big of a hurry and max out some player and use up our payroll excess.  Our "grow your own" is still working mighty well.  Check our draft picks!

:smug:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

A couple of times he gambled and Fournier went by him since he was out of position on the gamble.

Yep. He did get straight up beat once on the and 1 but the others were him gambling. He is starting to gamble again. You know how I am, I rather sound defense, when our best defenders gamble it's like giving up a bucket considering how shit most of our personnel is on that end.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Will this season's Hawk team ever be 100% healthy for one game?  Doesn't look possible right now.

The injury and illness situation this year has been borderline ridiculous. Way too much Murphy's Law for us this season.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Communication on the floor is necessary for good defense.  From what I can read, this seems to be one of the main problems.  Defensive center, a communicator, we hope we have in Capela.  If he can accomplish this and be a great rebounder, rim protector, then Hawks should finish the season as a better team.

This^. We need all of our players to communicate on defense.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Boarding is the last part of a defensive possession.  If you don't secure the rebound, the other team has you all out of position and can possibly score the basketball.

Playing Collins at the 5 not only affects him, it affects the smaller player playing at the 4, and possibly an even smaller player playing at the 3 or 2.

That lineup has to scramble to play defense, which is why they get caught out of position so much.

As for rebounding . . . Dwyane Wade said it best last night on the TNT post game show.

"No Rebounds . . No Rings"

Collins isn't Reddish or Hunter where he has to recover due to others mistakes on the perimeter defending. His ass be straight up allowing blow bys with no resistance consistently. His perimeter defense is worse than Trae, Jeff, or Kevin. 

Edited by NBASupes

• Moderators

We need more players who can knock down shots and not turn the ball over.   I'm as excited about the future as anyone but we're conditioned to look at Cam and Hunter, and to an extent Heurter, as potential.  Their good games are good games for rookies for the most part.  We need them to grow where they are turning in complete games all the time.  It's hard to be patient after watching Trae's ascent to NBA elite so quickly.   

We'll have help next year.  These guys will be stronger.  I'm not a big fan of talking about the 'core 5' all the time but it is amazing that our 5 top draft picks from the last 3 years are legit NBA rotation players already.   One is an all star, one is damn close.   That's crazy.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

We need more players who can knock down shots and not turn the ball over.   I'm as excited about the future as anyone but we're conditioned to look at Cam and Hunter, and to an extent Heurter, as potential.  Their good games are good games for rookies for the most part.  We need them to grow where they are turning in complete games all the time.  It's hard to be patient after watching Trae's ascent to NBA elite so quickly.   

We'll have help next year.  These guys will be stronger.  I'm not a big fan of talking about the 'core 5' all the time but it is amazing that our 5 top draft picks from the last 3 years are legit NBA rotation players already.   One is an all star, one is damn close.   That's crazy.

Curious.  Which one is "damn close" to being a star?

3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Cam Reddish isn't that far if he continues his current production with added volume. 

I think a lot of people have set their hopes high for Cam Reddish, and they are ultimately going to be disappointed at what the end results will be.  I'm not saying he will be a bad player, but saying he's a star is going to be a major stretch.  

22 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I think a lot of people have set their hopes high for Cam Reddish, and they are ultimately going to be disappointed at what the end results will be.  I'm not saying he will be a bad player, but saying he's a star is going to be a major stretch.  

There are idiots expecting him to fail. Those idiots have been idiots, always will be idiots and of course, they will be wrong as they usually are or they will move the goalpost as usual.

"A superstar to me has to win 11 rings, 10 rings is not enough for superstars." Does it bother you being a grown ass hater because you are too stubborn to a fault?

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

• Moderators
Just now, NBASupes said:

There are idiots expecting him to fail. Those idiots have been idiots, always will be idiots and of course, they will wrong as they usually are or they will move the goalpost as usual.

A superstar to me has to win 11 rings, 10 rings is not enough for superstars. Does it bother you being a grown ass hater because you are too stubborn to a fault?

:blink:  I'm assuming some sarcasm but scratching my head.

1 minute ago, AHF said:

:blink:  I'm assuming some sarcasm but scratching my head.

Paraphrasing on behalf of KB21 when he's proven wrong, he will just move the goalpost. I edited the post. I was in between a work email and just wasn't paying attention to grammar for this site.

12 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Trae ran out of gas in 4th (1-9)  and no one else could pick up the scoring slack. Also no answer for Evan Fournier in 4th.

Hunter with the 0-fer from the field. Ouch!

That could be helped if LP would stop playing Teague with Young. Use Teague's minutes as relief. My other point, Fernando gets in 21 minutes with Dedmon out.

In a nutshell, Orlando's coach saw our weakness with small ball and matched it by playing Vucevic and Bamba 46 minutes. Next up Brooklyn and they are not a easy team to beat with small ball either.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Paraphrasing on behalf of KB21 when he's proven wrong, he will just move the goalpost. I edited the post. I was in between a work email and just wasn't paying attention to grammar for this site.

Thanks.  That makes more sense to me.  Just wasn't getting the connection as originally written.

The minutes have been paying off for Cam's development this year.  Big time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

When you look at the 2-man lineups of each player, I wonder which guy our "Core 5" plays best with.   Sort these 2-man lineups by points, seeing that's the main stat that successful lineups are based off of.

Reddish:  https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/reddica01/lineups/2020

Young:    https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/y/youngtr01/lineups/2020

Huerter:  https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/huertke01/lineups/2020

Hunter:   https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/huntede01/lineups/2020

Collins:   https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/collijo01/lineups/2020

lol . . . ** CRICKETS **

It's been like this all year folks. Some of you just aren't deep diving into the stats. 

It's the same effect that Thabo Sefolosha had on the 2015 team, and why when he went down, the historic level of play went with him.