• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks Free Agent Targets

AHF

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

I am stating facts. Those 4 teams are in the top 11 for offensive efficiency yet they are not in the top 15 for threes taken.

The Spurs are 28th in threes taken and are 11th in offensive efficiency.

The Nuggets are 26th in threes taken but are 9th in offensive efficiency.

The Lakers are 23rd in threes taken but are 4th in offensive efficiency.

The Clippers are 16th in threes taken but are 3rd in offensive efficiency.

I think it shows a clear path to a different way to play efficient basketball than striving to be in the top 10 in threes taken every season.

Like I said efficiency is king. Period end of story.

https://stats.nba.com/teams/advanced/?sort=OFF_RATING&dir=-1

https://stats.nba.com/teams/traditional/?sort=FG3A&dir=-1

Hmm.  #1 and #2 on both those links are the same teams.

11 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Hmm.  #1 and #2 on both those links are the same teams.

Its the 30 teams that are ranked. One is to show their efficiency ranking and one is to show the ranking in three point attempts. You do have to look towards the bottom for the rankings in threes and towards the top for the rankings in efficiency.

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

So Dallas and Houston have it figured out. 

Maybe by your standards. Personally I like the Bucks, Lakers, and Clippers. Not necessarily in that order,

2 hours ago, Buzzard said:

Maybe by your standards. Personally I like the Bucks, Lakers, and Clippers. Not necessarily in that order,

I got Clipps ( u know cuz I’m a fan 🐝 lol) the Lakers then the Bucks when it came the playoffs, with the Clipps and Lakers being super close and Bucks a bit more distant at 3rd.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Travis will he aggressive. I got word on that months ago. I know Corona is here but the mindset is still the same plus Atlanta has to spend money via the NBA rules anyway. 

It will be tough. Just not a lot of players available this year. So many of these players are going right to retirement. The true quality ones likely staying home. 

We gotta find home runs like Danny Ferry used to do.

To me going and getting Torrey Craig for 3/24- 3/30 would be a good deal for a proven effective 3/D wing if we miss on drafting one.

I also like E'Twan Moore as a 5th wing. 

6th wing can be anybody. Maybe bring back T. Graham. 

PF will be hard. Harrell is my guy. But maybe we need to look at Toppin and if he's gone, Okongwu. 

Center is the only spot that's locked in.

Doesn't mean you spend unwisely. If that's the case 1 year high dollar contracts. As TS said previously, overspending on marginal FAs is very hard to overcome.

I understand your point about the guys who we are interested might be unavailable in FAcy but now it seems you have shifted to TS drafting for need (Toppin) since your FA whispers?

We should still be drafting BPA. Also the draft is before FA, so no telling if your boy Harrell will be gone.

3 hours ago, Buzzard said:

You have a nice theory going on about a developmental year. 2nd question since you seem to think we have our offense going in the right direction. When do we start developing our defensive strategies or was that happening this season as well?

Last I heard LP didn't think the young guys weren't ready to do what he wanted on defense. We'll see what comes from that. I'm less optimistic about that side of the ball even though there is potential there.

• Premium Member

Jeff Teague 

Contract status: Unrestricted free agent. Odds he returns: 50 percent.

DeAndre’ Bembry 

Contract status: Restricted free agent if offered a qualifying offer of $7,811,946. Odds he returns: Five percent.

Brandon Goodwin 

Contract status: $1,701,593 fully guaranteed if on the roster after Aug. 1. Odds he returns: 80 percent.

Skal Labissiere 

Contract status: Restricted free agent if offered a qualifying offer of $7,016,541. Odds he returns: 60 percent.

Damian Jones 

Contract status: Restricted free agent if offered a qualifying offer of $6,915,171. Odds he returns: Zero percent.

Treveon Graham  

Contract status: Unrestricted free agent. Odds he returns: 10 percent.

Vince Carter 

Contract status: Unrestricted free agent. Odds he returns: Zero percent.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Buzzard said:

If you like what these teams are doing then why are you against Trez coming here???

Clippers are 10th in 3pt % as a team

Bucks are 16th in 3pt% as a team

Lakers are 17th in 3pt% as a team

——————————————————

Bucks attempt the 4th most 3s in the nba despite they are 16th in 3pt%

Lakers attempt the 23rd most 3s in the nba.

Clippers attempt the 16th most 3s in the nba.

——————————————————-

Lakers are 2nd in the nba in paint pts per game 

Bucks are 4th in the nba in paint pts per game

somewhat shockingly Atlanta is 3rd

——————————————————-

Clippers won’t make my point so I will leave them out of it but the two number 1 seeds make my point. You say you don’t want Trez here and would rather more shooting at the big man position  but then you say you like what the lakers and bucks are doing...well this has been my point about these two teams in particular all season long. These two teams attack the basket relentlessly and best opponents down with the points in the paint. They also both have a good amount of depth of big men even though some are traditional Bigs....In fact speaking of shooting the Lakers make the same amount of 3s per game as the hawks! ....I understand that shooting is needed don’t get me wrong it need to be fixed as a priority but for a big to add to this team I want a impact player, a guy who can really get at and play some muscle ball and not be afraid to scrap and chop it up in the paint! When capela is on the bench we don’t miss that type of play if we could land Trez.

we need to stop banking on all these big man shooters and look for more of a power play style at that position even for the bench at that position in my opinion. Leave the shooting to the guards/wings as they will be more consistent then most bigs in the league anyhow . Get tough buckets with your bigs plus Collins who can do both shooting and rim running.

im telling you my friend ...the attitude, passion, heart that this team could have with a Big man rotation of Dedmon, Capela, Trez will not only rub off on Collins but we would be a big problem in the east...DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF A GOOD BIG MAN ROTATION!....This is how Bud keeps lighting up the East by the way...Lakers and bucks are killing teams mainly due to a very good dependable big man rotation (and size especially for the lakers)...that’s not to say they never hit any 3s but neither one of these teams are huge 3pt threats this season.

its crazy how the 3 ball overshadows even the number 1 seeds and I know we are good at points in the paint as far as what the stats say right now but it’s not the same impact as Memphis who leads the league in points in the paint, it’s not the same impact as the bucks or lakers who are great in the paint...we need to be focused on 2s and the paint while adding 2 good 3pt shooters at a minimum.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/points-from-3-pointers

1 hour ago, JTB said:

If you like what these teams are doing then why are you against Trez coming here???

Clippers are 10th in 3pt % as a team

Bucks are 16th in 3pt% as a team

Lakers are 17th in 3pt% as a team

——————————————————

Bucks attempt the 4th most 3s in the nba despite they are 16th in 3pt%

Lakers attempt the 23rd most 3s in the nba.

Clippers attempt the 16th most 3s in the nba.

——————————————————-

Lakers are 2nd in the nba in paint pts per game 

Bucks are 4th in the nba in paint pts per game

somewhat shockingly Atlanta is 3rd

——————————————————-

Clippers won’t make my point so I will leave them out of it but the two number 1 seeds make my point. You say you don’t want Trez here and would rather more shooting at the big man position  but then you say you like what the lakers and bucks are doing...well this has been my point about these two teams in particular all season long. These two teams attack the basket relentlessly and best opponents down with the points in the paint. They also both have a good amount of depth of big men even though some are traditional Bigs....In fact speaking of shooting the Lakers make the same amount of 3s per game as the hawks! ....I understand that shooting is needed don’t get me wrong it need to be fixed as a priority but for a big to add to this team I want a impact player, a guy who can really get at and play some muscle ball and not be afraid to scrap and chop it up in the paint! When capela is on the bench we don’t miss that type of play if we could land Trez.

we need to stop banking on all these big man shooters and look for more of a power play style at that position even for the bench at that position in my opinion. Leave the shooting to the guards/wings as they will be more consistent then most bigs in the league anyhow . Get tough buckets with your bigs plus Collins who can do both shooting and rim running.

im telling you my friend ...the attitude, passion, heart that this team could have with a Big man rotation of Dedmon, Capela, Trez will not only rub off on Collins but we would be a big problem in the east...DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF A GOOD BIG MAN ROTATION!....This is how Bud keeps lighting up the East by the way...Lakers and bucks are killing teams mainly due to a very good dependable big man rotation (and size especially for the lakers)...that’s not to say they never hit any 3s but neither one of these teams are huge 3pt threats this season.

its crazy how the 3 ball overshadows even the number 1 seeds and I know we are good at points in the paint as far as what the stats say right now but it’s not the same impact as Memphis who leads the league in points in the paint, it’s not the same impact as the bucks or lakers who are great in the paint...we need to be focused on 2s and the paint while adding 2 good 3pt shooters at a minimum.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/points-from-3-pointers

I don't disagree with the premise of being good in the paint helps. Collins for his career takes 53.3% of his shots 0 - 3feet and he finishes at .742 from that range. Capela who we just added takes 77.6% of his shots from 0 - 3 feet and he finishes at .718 from that range.

I think we have just created a two headed monster for very efficient scoring in the paint. Adding Capela is going to make LD look good without doing a thing but putting him on the floor with Trae. Now to your point. I am not going to argue against Trez. If Schlenk likes him enough, he will pay him. But I am not betting on it since he is now paying for Capela.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/collijo01.html

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/capelca01.html

• Like 1

7 hours ago, High5 said:

Last I heard LP didn't think the young guys weren't ready to do what he wanted on defense. We'll see what comes from that. I'm less optimistic about that side of the ball even though there is potential there.

Vince Carter ( 20 plus years ), Jabari Parker ( 6 years ), Alex Len ( 6 years ), and DeAndre Bemby ( 4th year ) all getting major minutes. How many vets does he need to help Collins ( 3rd year ), Trae and Huerter ( 2nd years ), and the rooks to understand basic defenses?

His first year he was even better off with Prince and Dedmon added to the vet mix for a full season.

A little sideways to me for a coach not to teach defense starting day one.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Buzzard said:

Vince Carter ( 20 plus years ), Jabari Parker ( 6 years ), Alex Len ( 6 years ), and DeAndre Bemby ( 4th year ) all getting major minutes. How many vets does he need to help Collins ( 3rd year ), Trae and Huerter ( 2nd years ), and the rooks to understand basic defenses?

His first year he was even better off with Prince and Dedmon added to the vet mix for a full season.

A little sideways to me for a coach not to teach defense starting day one.

Just because he hasn't installed the exact defense he wants doesn't mean he hasn't taught defense lol. It's also hilarious that you think Parker is some kind of mentor on the defensive end.

Listen, you've made up your mind on LP. I'm waiting to see what he does with a respectable roster before calling him the worst coach ever. It's a pointless discussion.

So a bit of consideration in the rooks vs vets conversation.  The typical NBA off-season for rookies is about 6 weeks. Summer league interrupts their off season plans and most rookies/2nd year players don't get much of an opportunity to add weight. The most important factor in defense is effort, the 2nd most is length but the 3rd is the more elusive and that is bulk. Players add muscle naturally as they age until about 28-30. This is why most players reach their peak in that 27 ish year old range and are able to expand their games.

This off-season will not or should not have a real summer league. Also, the off-season began back in March for most of these guys. Assuming the league restarts in October, that is a significantly longer stretch (5+ months) for the likes of Huerter, Reddish, Young and company to add much needed strength and bulk. I expect a natural improvement in defense next year based solely on younger players adding natural and weight training bulk. Any of you old enough to know are aware you don't add that lower body weight you need to hold position until your mid twenties, longer for Centers/Power Forwards.

I would never consider drafting as a way to improve defense in the short term. Although free agency can be used to improve defense, I can only think of a few targets who would allow the Hawks to improve defensively but that would be off the bench.  As currently constructed, you have to keep starting Young, Collins and 2 of Huerter, Hunter and Reddish (we all know my preference with this). You already got CC. So I'm not sure how you improve defense significantly when you aren't going to replace one starter.

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, thecampster said:

So a bit of consideration in the rooks vs vets conversation.  The typical NBA off-season for rookies is about 6 weeks. Summer league interrupts their off season plans and most rookies/2nd year players don't get much of an opportunity to add weight. The most important factor in defense is effort, the 2nd most is length but the 3rd is the more elusive and that is bulk. Players add muscle naturally as they age until about 28-30. This is why most players reach their peak in that 27 ish year old range and are able to expand their games.

This off-season will not or should not have a real summer league. Also, the off-season began back in March for most of these guys. Assuming the league restarts in October, that is a significantly longer stretch (5+ months) for the likes of Huerter, Reddish, Young and company to add much needed strength and bulk. I expect a natural improvement in defense next year based solely on younger players adding natural and weight training bulk. Any of you old enough to know are aware you don't add that lower body weight you need to hold position until your mid twenties, longer for Centers/Power Forwards.

I would never consider drafting as a way to improve defense in the short term. Although free agency can be used to improve defense, I can only think of a few targets who would allow the Hawks to improve defensively but that would be off the bench.  As currently constructed, you have to keep starting Young, Collins and 2 of Huerter, Hunter and Reddish (we all know my preference with this). You already got CC. So I'm not sure how you improve defense significantly when you aren't going to replace one starter.

If this information is commonly known by everyone supposedly then why do many i.e. sports writers and fans ride Trae so hard?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

If this information is commonly known by everyone supposedly then why do many i.e. sports writers and fans ride Trae so hard?

I think it is because he has stood out as being among the very worst players by several metrics and writers and fans don't see him as having the tools to significantly improve.  I think a lot of them are overstating his limitations but it is a bit like seeing someone with a terrible 3pt% and ugly shot and writing them off compared to someone with a bad 3pt% but pretty shot who you can see having a clear path to improve.

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, AHF said:

I think it is because he has stood out as being among the very worst players by several metrics and writers and fans don't see him as having the tools to significantly improve.  I think a lot of them are overstating his limitations but it is a bit like seeing someone with a terrible 3pt% and ugly shot and writing them off compared to someone with a bad 3pt% but pretty shot who you can see having a clear path to improve.

There were times where Trae played excellent defense.  If I saw those time then I'm sure the one's that scrutinize him the most saw those moments also.

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

There were times where Trae played excellent defense.  If I saw those time then I'm sure the one's that scrutinize him the most saw those moments also.

I think we see much more of Trae than an average writer.  The average writer sees him ranged like 145th out of 146 players on D and believe from what they've seen of him that he doesn't have the tools to be better.  Your average sports writer doesn't have time to watch every team and in a lottery season the Hawks aren't going to get a ton of time from a writer for the Miami Herald or SI or whatever.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, AHF said:

I think we see much more of Trae than an average writer.  The average writer sees him ranged like 145th out of 146 players on D and believe from what they've seen of him that he doesn't have the tools to be better.  Your average sports writer doesn't have time to watch every team and in a lottery season the Hawks aren't going to get a ton of time from a writer for the Miami Herald or SI or whatever.

Somebody is watching so the word should get out that he is capable.  Plus no one was having career scoring nights against Trae