• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks Free Agent Targets

AHF

The market is what it will be. We could end up paying more than most, but that will be true every year. 

FVV is the prize and will get the biggest contract this year. But there are also very few teams with cap space this year, and he can only get what teams are able to offer. 

Hypothetically, say his "market value" is 17mil, but other teams can only offer 12-15mil. The Hawks could get him at or a little above market value offering 18mil. (Please know these are completely made up numbers, I am not saying that's what he is worth or will get).

Next year, they're are more big FA, but also a ton of teams with cap space, so we'd have to overpay then, too, if we want to attract top talent. 

Might as well shoot for the top this year while we are in the best position to do so. Hawks are in the driver's seat this year. Next year, players will have their choice of destination and will be in the driver's seat.

• Premium Member

@thecampster  Can a team sign an UFA to a poison pill contract similar to the Omer Asik RFA contract but in reverse.

Asik contract details:

three-year, $24.3 million offer, paying around $5 million in the first two years before ballooning to almost $15 million in year three.

Can the Hawks do a reverse where we offer the balloon up front in year 1 with smaller payments over the remaining years? I don't think the CBA allows, but not sure.

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

@thecampster  Can a team sign an UFA to a poison pill contract similar to the Omer Asik RFA contract but in reverse.

Asik contract details:

Can the Hawks do a reverse where we offer the balloon up front in year 1 with smaller payments over the remaining years? I don't think the CBA allows, but not sure.

Sounds like it isn't possible according to Coon's FAQ:

53. Is there a limit to the length of a contract, or to the amount a player's salary can increase or decrease from year to year?

The maximum years and raises depend on the type of contract, however the "standard" maximum length is four seasons and the "standard" maximum raise is 5%1 -- for example, when a team signs another team's free agent using cap room. The following are exceptions to the standard:

Type of contract Maximum years Maximum raise Notes
Larry Bird exception 5 8%1 See question number 25
Early Bird exception 4 8%1 See question number 25
Non-Bird exception 4 5% See question number 25
Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception 4 5% See question number 25
Taxpayer Mid-Level exception 3 5% See question number 25
Room Mid-Level exception 2 5% See question number 25
Bi-Annual exception 2 5% See question number 25
Disabled Player exception 1 N/A See question number 25
Minimum Player Salary exception 2 Both seasons at minimum salary See question number 25
First round draft pick 2 plus 2 team option years Defined in salary scale See question number 47
"Arenas" restricted free agents 4 Can have a substantial raise in year 3 See question number 43
Sign-and-Trade 4 5% See question number 92
Extensions (veteran) 52 8% of the salary in the first season of the extension See question number 58
Extensions (rookie scale contracts) 52 8% of the salary in the first season of the extension See question number 58
Extensions (Designated Rookie) 62 8% of the salary in the first season of the extension See question number 58
Extensions (Designated Veterans) 62 8% of the salary in the first season of the extension See question number 58
Extend-and-Trade 32 5% of the salary in the first season of the extension See question number 95
Renegotiations Same as original contract Additional salary can increase 8% over the additional salary in the first renegotiated season See question number 59
Two-Way 2 Two-Way portion defined in salary scale; NBA portion always rookie minimum See question number 82

The raise limit also applies to salary decreases -- for example, since the Larry Bird exception limits raises to 8% of the first-year salary, the salary may also decrease by up to 8% of the first-year salary.

The percentage (5% or 8%) applies to regular salary, i.e., the player's base salary, not including signing bonuses or anything treated like a signing bonus (see question number 75). The same limit also usually applies separately to likely and unlikely incentives (see question number 74), and to the total salary (which includes signing bonuses and anything treated like a signing bonus). Because of this rule, certain combinations of signing bonuses and non-guaranteed salary are incompatible.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q53

I think where you are going with this is to use our current cap room so a signing bonus also won't help.  It will be cash out the door this year but impact spread across the entire contract.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, AHF said:

I think where you are going with this is to use our current cap room so a signing bonus also won't help.  It will be cash out the door this year but impact spread across the entire contract.

As I thought, just wanted to confirm.

2 hours ago, AHF said:

Just needed to read a bit farther.

The raise limit also applies to salary decreases -- for example, since the Larry Bird exception limits raises to 8% of the first-year salary, the salary may also decrease by up to 8% of the first-year salary.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, thecampster said:

Just needed to read a bit farther.

If you read the full post that you quoted, you'll see I included that text and put it in bold and in oversized font to ensure it stood out.

From my post above:

image.png

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

He's a Laker

ILakers do no have the capspace to sign him outright, it'll have to be a SnT.  Lakers currently have ~$100 million in guaranteed salaries (including AD's caphold).  Plus 3 players with player options totaling $17 million.  

29 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

ILakers do no have the capspace to sign him outright, it'll have to be a SnT.  Lakers currently have ~$100 million in guaranteed salaries (including AD's caphold).  Plus 3 players with player options totaling $17 million.  

Come on now, you know the rules don't apply to the Lakers.

Where there's a will, there's a way. It'll happen of they want it to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
Just now, bird_dirt said:

Come on now, you know the rules don't apply to the Lakers.

Where there's a will, there's a way. It'll happen of they want it to.

I'm not saying it can't, just that LAL has to make moves to either clear capspace or work a SnT with OKC and it all depend on what Gallinari is willing to sign for.  If he wants to take the MLE of $9 mil from the Lakers, sure they can just sign him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Kuz and #28 will probably be available..lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AHF said:

If you read the full post that you quoted, you'll see I included that text and put it in bold and in oversized font to ensure it stood out.

From my post above:

image.png

No, I needed to hit a teeny, tiny little "expand". It wasn't shown at first on the post I read.

• Moderators
16 hours ago, thecampster said:

No, I needed to hit a teeny, tiny little "expand". It wasn't shown at first on the post I read.

👍

All quotes longer than a few lines have that under the latest update to the site.

• Premium Member

Via The Athletic article from players agents

“My fear is there will be a lot of teams and ownership groups that sit out free agency," said one agent. "In terms of player movement, I think there will be a lot. Not just signing guys. Nobody wants to pay the tax. Everybody is going to try to clear space for 2021. I can definitely see a sizable amount of player movement. But not a lot of dollars spent.”

Another agent countered that theory because most players with options on the contract will opt-in and delay their free agency until 2021.

“I assume that every player, almost every player is going to opt-in," said the second agent. "That’s not common. I think it’s uncommon that almost every player opts in, and I assume everyone opts in. I assume there is reduced player movement because of that. There’s only a half dozen teams with cap space. … And there are questions amongst those teams. Are they going to spend to the cap or are they not going to spend to the cap? … I think there’s going to be significantly less player movement than a normal year.”

A third agent believes centers will find very limited offers and that some teams will be more inclined to sign rookies or minimum contract veterans.

“Big effect," said the agent. "Salary cap lower. Centers will get hit the hardest. Teams putting the most value on those who can play 1-4. As for movement, we’ll see. Teams might go with rookies or minimum contracts to keep their books low while dealing with cap uncertainty.”

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

If we are to sign Joe Harris, what is your high point mark?  IIRC, I think I said I would go no higher than $10-$15 mil per (for either him and Bertans).  I'll add the higher the per year deal, the shorter the contract would be my preference.

One of the league’s top 3-point shooters who revived his career in Brooklyn under Kenny Atkinson will be an unrestricted free agent. The Nets holds Harris’ Bird rights, and he has said throughout the summer that his preference is to stay in Brooklyn. It’s likely Harris’ market could reach well over $10 million per year, which would put the Nets deep into the luxury tax.

To gauge the kind of offers Harris could garner, The Athletic looked at recent contracts signed by the league’s best sharpshooters. Although every offseason is different, these deals should paint a reasonable picture for how teams value elite shooters.

J.J. Redick, Pelicans   Contract: Two years, $26.5 million in 2019

Danny Green, Lakers    Contract: Two years, $30 million in 2019

Otto Porter, Bulls   Contract: Four years, $106.5 million in 2017 with Washington, nearly two years before he was traded to Chicago

Davis Bertans, Wizards   Contract: Two years, $14.5 million contract in 2018 with San Antonio, a year before he was traded to Washington

Joe Ingles, Jazz   Contract: Four years, $52 million contract in 2017, a one-year; $14 million extension in November 2019

On 10/20/2020 at 5:53 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

Word is he wants to go to a contender.

Damn near every FA. Some rumors from my Bay guy is he's looking at returning to the Clippers. That would be interesting. That would mean they chose Danilo over Marcus then

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Damn near every FA. Some rumors from my Bay guy is he's looking at returning to the Clippers. That would be interesting. That would mean they chose Danilo over Marcus then

With what Free Agent Money can they sign Danillo? LAC has $114 million in guaranteed contracts. 

Remember Morris was a trade from NYK.  I guess a SnT with OKC.