Ole man VC

Pluses- To double team, you gotta show your whole man

No zone defense

1v1 type game

Negatives -

Hand checking 

A lot more physical 

More physically mature players 

I think Trae would offensively kill in any era. His 1v1 game is too good. He would draw double teams and create a lot easier. A lot less PnR defenders in the 90s, his PnR would be magical in that era plus no zone defense to hedge it out. 

Cam would struggle on offense year 1.

Collins would be a superstar. That era plays into his old school game

Kevin would probably be worse. It would be a tough era for him. 

I liken us to the 95-96 Bullets. A talented young roster with Rod Strick, C Webb, Juwan Howard and Calbert Cheaney.

That team need a few tweaks but was sadly deconstructed. I hope we get a chance to blossom with our roster with no bad moves.

I think we would be ok in the 90’s. We’d prolly get beat up due to weakness but we certainly would let it fly, make or miss.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Trae would be an interesting case.  I think the current era is clearly better for him and that the hand checking would hold him back some but he would still be excellent on offense.  

JC would definitely flourish. 

The acquisition of Capela would be even more important.  

Huerter would be a definite role player.  Don't see him having the mentality to be aggressive enough on offense to star or the chops on defense to reign in people in that style of play.  He would probably be coming in to hit a few 3's and then head back to the bench.

Hunter and Cam would be fine on D.  Their ballhandling would probably dictate their success on offense since you needed to be able to take guys 1v1 on the wing if you wanted to be a star in that era.  Cam seems like his tools would let him be more of a standout while Hunter would end up a Ty Corbin type of role player - good D but only a tertiary or lower option on offense.

We would be a lot worse. I could see myself getting frustrated every time opposing PGs would literally hold, grab, and put their hands on Trae until the shot clock runs out, with no foul being called whatsoever. That was a grown man's era and we're still youngins. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, TRW said:

We would be a lot worse. I could see myself getting frustrated every time opposing PGs would literally hold, grab, and put their hands on Trae until the shot clock runs out, with no foul being called whatsoever. That was a grown man's era and we're still youngins. 

Y'all overrate how physical that era was and y'all underrate how physical people are with Trae today. He is constantly grabbed on every possession in the half court. Ya'll also underrate how good Trae is 1v1. Trae would dominate that era like late 90s Iverson

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Y'all overrate how physical that era was and y'all underrate how physical people are with Trae today. He is constantly grabbed on every possession in the half court. Ya'll also underrate how good Trae is 1v1. Trae would dominate that era like late 90s Iverson

The 80's was physical, the 90's was no where near as physical. But here are my questions?

Are we playing 90's rules or 2010's?

Which 3 point line are we playing with (history - " This is of variable distance, ranging from 22 feet (6.7 m) in the corners to 23.75 feet (7.24 m) behind the top of the key. During the 1994–95, 1995–96 and 1996–97 seasons, the NBA attempted to address decreased scoring by shortening the overall distance of the line to a uniform 22 feet (6.7 m) around the basket. It was moved back to its original distance after the 1996–97 season.")

Who on our team check's Hakeem 1v1, or Shaq or Robinson?

Who on our team checks Jordan, Pippen, Drexler, Kobe?

Do you really see Collins checking Malone?

Considerations - In 1992-93 Chicago Bulls shot 8.2 x 3PT attempts per game making 36.5%.  They shot 79.7 x 2 pt attempts per game, making 49.4%.  For comparison, the 2019-20 Hawks shot 37 x 3 PT attempts per game making 35.2%. They shot 54.8 x 2 Pt attempts per game, making 51.8%.  

Defensively, teams worked inside and kicked out to keep teams honest. Teams were built defensively to hold position, play the post. During this time, teams were developing mid-range shooters to loosen things up and every team had 1 to 2 shooters on the floor to shoot 3's. Almost no big men shot 3's. That was the job of PG, SG and some SF.

Teams would struggle to get out on the Hawks through their never ending PnR sets. Defensively we would give teams fits shooting from range and we would be much better equipped to stop teams shooting the 3.  We would shut that down.  However, see above. Teams would destroy us posting us up. Teams with real centers (half of the league) would score at will underneath and outrebound us 2-1. I don't think the 3 pt efficiency + volume could make that up. We would be bottom 3rd until we came up with a plan to defend the post up.

Edited by thecampster

8 minutes ago, thecampster said:

The 80's was physical, the 90's was no where near as physical. But here are my questions?

Are we playing 90's rules or 2010's?

Which 3 point line are we playing with (history - " This is of variable distance, ranging from 22 feet (6.7 m) in the corners to 23.75 feet (7.24 m) behind the top of the key. During the 1994–95, 1995–96 and 1996–97 seasons, the NBA attempted to address decreased scoring by shortening the overall distance of the line to a uniform 22 feet (6.7 m) around the basket. It was moved back to its original distance after the 1996–97 season.")

Who on our team check's Hakeem 1v1, or Shaq or Robinson?

Who on our team checks Jordan, Pippen, Drexler, Kobe?

Do you really see Collins checking Malone?

Considerations - In 1992-93 Chicago Bulls shot 8.2 x 3PT attempts per game making 36.5%.  They shot 79.7 x 2 pt attempts per game, making 49.4%.  For comparison, the 2019-20 Hawks shot 37 x 3 PT attempts per game making 35.2%. They shot 54.8 x 2 Pt attempts per game, making 51.8%.  

Defensively, teams worked inside and kicked out to keep teams honest. Teams were built defensively to hold position, play the post. During this time, teams were developing mid-range shooters to loosen things up and every team had 1 to 2 shooters on the floor to shoot 3's. Almost no big men shot 3's. That was the job of PG, SG and some SF.

Teams would struggle to get out on the Hawks through their never ending PnR sets. Defensively we would give teams fits shooting from range and we would be much better equipped to stop teams shooting the 3.  We would shut that down.  However, see above. Teams would destroy us posting us up. Teams with real centers (half of the league) would score at will underneath and outrebound us 2-1. I don't think the 3 pt efficiency + volume could make that up. We would be bottom 3rd until we came up with a plan to defend the post up.

We got Capela now. Capela is one of the better post defenders in the NBA. John is actually a decent post defender. He is ass defending in space which didn't really exist at that time for his position

John would he fine defending the paint v. Malone. Barkley would give problems.

Put Cam on Jordan. Put Hunter on Pippen. Those two would be excellent defensively in the 90s

We would be ALOT better in the 90s than today. A LOT! Easily over 50 wins. That era had scrubs starting. Today no one has scrubs starting outside of us with Damian Jones

Edited by NBASupes

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

John would he fine defending the paint v. Malone. Barkley would give problems.

Put Cam on Jordan. Put Hunter on Pippen. Those two would be excellent defensively in the 90s

We would be ALOT better in the 90s than today. A LOT! Easily over 50 wins. That era had scrubs starting. Today no one has scrubs starting outside of us with Damian Jones

We would not win 50 games with our 2019-20 team at any time over the last 40 years of the NBA (and probably further back).  Not even close.  I'm hoping you are talking about a theoretical team with our guys at their peak and theoretical additions to fill out the roster with higher quality players.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

We would not win 50 games with our 2019-20 team at any time over the last 40 years of the NBA (and probably further back).  Not even close.  I'm hoping you are talking about a theoretical team with our guys at their peak and theoretical additions to fill out the roster with higher quality players.

Why not? We got higher quality players than most teams had in the 90s especially depth wise.

We just suck for today's era depth wise. 

We are currently 8 deep. That's deeper than 97% of the teams in the late 90s.

Edited by NBASupes

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Why not? We got higher quality players than most teams had in the 90s especially depth wise.

We just suck for today's era depth wise. 

We are currently 8 deep. That's deeper than 97% of the teams in the late 90s.

Because we would get curb stomped by quality 90s teams.  Not close.  Hakeem's Rockets didn't win 50 games a majority of the seasons in the 90s and he had Sam Cassell, Clyde Drexler, Robert Horry, Charles Barkley, Otis Thorpe, Mad Max, and other quality players filling out those rosters.  We would get beat into the ground by those teams routinely.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AHF said:

Because we would get curb stomped by quality 90s teams.  Not close.  Hakeem's Rockets didn't win 50 games a majority of the seasons in the 90s and he had Sam Cassell, Clyde Drexler, Robert Horry, Charles Barkley, Otis Thorpe, Mad Max, and other quality players filling out those rosters.  We would get beat into the ground by those teams routinely.

Drexler was old as shit in the mid 90s. Horry and Cassell was young as shit. Thorpe was old and Mad Max was a head case and that was a championship level team for that era

Most teams weren't even that deep and that wasn't as deep as us today.

We would kill it in the 90s. Most teams in the NBA would kill it in the 90s. The 90s lack depth, talent pool, athleticism, and length to an extreme degree.

Edited by NBASupes

34 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

We got Capela now. Capela is one of the better post defenders in the NBA. John is actually a decent post defender. He is ass defending in space which didn't really exist at that time for his position

He is no where near big enough to guard the centers from the 80's 90's.  58 second mark, Smits blocks Jordan. This was early 90's basketball.  Smits, 7'4" with good mid-range game was an average to above average (but no where near best) center in the 90s. Capela gives up 6 inches and about 10 inches of length to Smits. Patrick Ewing/Shaq video below as well.  These were all centers in the early 90's. But the last video, Hakeem vs Robinson is just post up after post up. They did this every night. The game ran inside out. They were all big and all skilled back to the basket. Capela is not a center in that era.

• Like 1

We would probably beat the 95 Raptors inaugural team. Actually it would be close. Top guys for them that year:

Damon Stoudamire

Oliver Miller

Alvin Robertson (this guy always gave it to the hawks mad underrated)

Willie Anderson

Tracy Murray

Doug Christie

I dunno 🤷‍♀️ we might lose to these guys cuz they were all vets picked from the expansion draft. Maybe I should have picked on a non expansion mid 90’s roster.

We would beat the 95-96 Sixers. They had:

Weatherspoon

Stackhouse

Shawn Bradley

Derrick Coleman

Vernon Maxwell

We would probably beat them. 

47 minutes ago, thecampster said:

He is no where near big enough to guard the centers from the 80's 90's.  58 second mark, Smits blocks Jordan. This was early 90's basketball.  Smits, 7'4" with good mid-range game was an average to above average (but no where near best) center in the 90s. Capela gives up 6 inches and about 10 inches of length to Smits. Patrick Ewing/Shaq video below as well.  These were all centers in the early 90's. But the last video, Hakeem vs Robinson is just post up after post up. They did this every night. The game ran inside out. They were all big and all skilled back to the basket. Capela is not a center in that era.

Capela is 6'10 250 pounds. Most 90s centers were under 250 pounds and Capela has a 7'5 wingspan which would be one of the best in that era. Don't give me slow ass trash ass Smits. We seen what Capela did to Gobert who is superior

https://youtu.be/Z7FVnEtL7VY

Edited by NBASupes

1 minute ago, thecampster said:

Gobert offensively is a joke compared to 1/2 the centers from that era.

Stop that shit! If he played with those rules where there was no back to the basket, none of the big man rules that was removed because of Shaq in the early 2000s, he would be scoring 20ppg. Shit, most bigs would especially as skilled as they are today.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

🤔....:blanky::blanky:.

• Haha 1