• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

How good would the Hawks be in the 90s?

NBASupes

29 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

You would take Smits over this campster?

Gobert would be an alien in the 90s 

Ya. Smits was a 7’4” monster. He was basically a better Gobert, offensively not defensively. Him and the Davis boys were underrated to me. It’s not easy shagging down Reggie 3’s 😂 

1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

Ya. Smits was a 7’4” monster. He was basically a better Gobert, offensively not defensively. Him and the Davis boys were underrated to me. It’s not easy shagging down Reggie 3’s 😂 

No he wasn't, he was good but he was slow, he couldn't move laterally at all, and he couldn't jump. He had some skills but without the rules of the 90s, he wouldn't survive in today's NBA. 

Gobert athleticism on offense would overwhelm him. If Gobert didn't have back to the basket and 3 seconds, he would be a two way big.

Defensively, LOL! Let's not even go there. One is a scrub, one is one of the ATGs

Edited by NBASupes

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

Smits always gave us fits. HATED that guy.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

No he wasn't, he was good but he was slow, he couldn't move laterally at all, and he couldn't jump. He had some skills but without the rules of the 90s, he wouldn't survive in today's NBA. 

Gobert athleticism on offense would overwhelm him. If Gobert didn't have back to the basket and 3 seconds, he would be a two way big.

Defensively, LOL! Let's not even go there. One is a scrub, one is one of the ATGs

Rules man, what rules. Because all of those Gobert plays in that video show a clear lane because of the 3 point shooters and high pick n roles. Gobert would be operating in a clogged lane and be asked to pound the ball, back his man down. Its a completely different skill set then.  Gobert impact defensively greater but in that era he's offensive Bill Cartwright.

But short answer, it was a big man's game. Jordan changed everything. Everyone was looking for the next one and teams from AAU on up worked to developed ball handling in bigger players and outside shooting. Perimeter defense became all the rage and the game moved farther and farther from the basket. Today's NBA could not handle Olajawon and Robinson. They'd go for 40 every night.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Love you Supes but this whole "the 2019-20 Hawks would dominate in the 90s" thing is maybe the most bananas thing I've seen on this forum in a long time.  Our guys are not mature yet.  They would get curb stomped by good 90's squads playing under 90's rules.  

I could get into why Gobert would be utterly unspectacular offensively in the 90's and things like that but it isn't worth the effort.  Too many good conversations to be had with you to get into one that is more lopsided than Horford >>>> prime Karl Malone.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NBASupes said:

John would he fine defending the paint v. Malone. Barkley would give problems.

Put Cam on Jordan. Put Hunter on Pippen. Those two would be excellent defensively in the 90s

We would be ALOT better in the 90s than today. A LOT! Easily over 50 wins. That era had scrubs starting. Today no one has scrubs starting outside of us with Damian Jones

One more subtle reminder, 3 teams have been added since 1995 watering down the talent. If anything, there are more scrubs on rosters today. Also, Prior to 1998 the max NBA roster size was 12. So there were 27 teams of 12 players. Only the best 324 players were in the league in 1994.  Today, you can carry up to 17 on 30 teams or 510 max players.  The player pool is much bigger meaning the best talent is more spread out and plays against lesser talent on average.  The league is more watered down today. Though I believe our best players would match up in any era.

New Orleans Pelicans New Orleans, LA 2002 2002 1* 1
Memphis Grizzlies Memphis, TN 1995 1995 1 0
Toronto Raptors Toronto, ON 1995

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, thecampster said:

One more subtle reminder, 3 teams have been added since 1995 watering down the talent. If anything, there are more scrubs on rosters today. Also, Prior to 1998 the max NBA roster size was 12. So there were 27 teams of 12 players. Only the best 324 players were in the league in 1994.  Today, you can carry up to 17 on 30 teams or 510 max players.  The player pool is much bigger meaning the best talent is more spread out and plays against lesser talent on average.  The league is more watered down today. Though I believe our best players would match up in any era.

New Orleans Pelicans New Orleans, LA 2002 2002 1* 1
Memphis Grizzlies Memphis, TN 1995 1995 1 0
Toronto Raptors Toronto, ON 1995

The one thing I will say on this as a partial offset against the impact of expanded roster size and teams is that there has been much more development of the game internationally since the 1990s and there is a lot more international talent which helps make up some of that gap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, AHF said:

The one thing I will say on this as a partial offset against the impact of expanded roster size and teams is that there has been much more development of the game internationally since the 1990s and there is a lot more international talent which helps more than make up some of that gap.

• Moderators

FYI - There were 91 players not born in the US this season who played 400 minutes in the NBA.  

In 1997-98 there were 27 such players.  

Both of these lists include players who were developed in the US (but born elsewhere) but give some scale as to the number of meaningful players coming in from other countries.

1 hour ago, thecampster said:

How skilled were the Power Forwards? Let me take you back to 1990.

Chambers on the offense end was a monster but he was just as bad on the other end of the court. 

1 hour ago, thecampster said:

But short answer, it was a big man's game. Jordan changed everything. Everyone was looking for the next one and teams from AAU on up worked to developed ball handling in bigger players and outside shooting. Perimeter defense became all the rage and the game moved farther and farther from the basket. Today's NBA could not handle Olajawon and Robinson. They'd go for 40 every night.

Hakeem and D-Rob wouldn't exist today. They would have been one and dones. That development they had in college was critical. Centers need a lot of development, that's why all of the best centers in the NBA today came from outside of America. 

2 hours ago, thecampster said:

Rules man, what rules. Because all of those Gobert plays in that video show a clear lane because of the 3 point shooters and high pick n roles. Gobert would be operating in a clogged lane and be asked to pound the ball, back his man down. Its a completely different skill set then.  Gobert impact defensively greater but in that era he's offensive Bill Cartwright.

3 seconds and the biggest for all bigs on offense, they ended back to the backet. That literally changed the way the game was played. Guys like Jeff Rutland averaged like 20+ in the 80s, you guys are nuts if you don't think Gobert would have averaged 20ppg in the 90s. 

1 hour ago, AHF said:

Love you Supes but this whole "the 2019-20 Hawks would dominate in the 90s" thing is maybe the most bananas thing I've seen on this forum in a long time.  Our guys are not mature yet.  They would get curb stomped by good 90's squads playing under 90's rules.  

I could get into why Gobert would be utterly unspectacular offensively in the 90's and things like that but it isn't worth the effort.  Too many good conversations to be had with you to get into one that is more lopsided than Horford >>>> prime Karl Malone.

Ya'll don't understand why I rate Horford higher. It's due to his overall impact. Simple as that. Horford can do a lot for winning Basketball. A lot of what Malone did wouldn't transfer eras. He's a product of Sloan.