Hawks Offseason Officially Starts!

JayBirdHawk

• Admin
16 hours ago, bleachkit said:

What a steal they got in Clarke. Many were like, "he's old, hes a T-Rex". Yea, so f'n what? He's a good basketball player. 

It has become the belief that if you are not a hs player or freshman 'with potential' then you have already passed your prime and are not going to develop.  Its all about potential now a days.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

It has become the belief that if you are not a hs player or freshman 'with potential' then you have already passed your prime and are not going to develop.  Its all about potential now a days.  

For sure.  But i think it's probably been that way for quite a while.   I mean Kwame Brown was a #1 pick. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

Age is an important factor but nobody should pretend it is the only factor.  Plenty of college seniors who went on to significantly develop in the league.  But it isn't a completely false narrative or anything.  The is a significant correlation with age and future development.  

It goes back to the same adage of needing to process a lot of different pieces of information and not just look at prospects through one lens.  Reminds me a bit of when the NBA figured out that Euro players were being undervalued and overcorrected by reaching for Euros for a couple years.  You get value by recognizing and taking advantage of market inefficiencies but when the market adjusts you better factor that in and realize the premium no longer exists.  

Clark wasn't taken at #1 or #2 in the draft.  He was still free 7 picks after the lottery was done.  Clearly seems too many GMs let his age be too big of a factor.  For TS, I was very happy with us taking Cam over him and remain of that view.  Had we retained the #17 pick then that would have been great value for us at that spot.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kg01 said:

Other than being on a team and drawing oxygen, how is Kabengele "alive" or "kicking" compared to them other dudes?

😏

He’s got a lot of potential just buried deep on a top NBA team. This dude is gonna be around boarding and playing good D for a while.

1 hour ago, capstone21 said:

People need to look at growth charts more than age. Marvin was damn near as his peak at 20. While Steph Curry hasn't even started peaking yet. Korver is much better after 29 than he was before. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

People need to look at growth charts more than age. Marvin was damn near as his peak at 20. While Steph Curry hasn't even started peaking yet. Korver is much better after 29 than he was before. 

Yup. Each case is different. That’s why you can’t stereotype players based on age and college experience etc. Maturity of the individual factors a lot as well.

• Like 3

• Moderators

You need to look at a lot more than age but age is one significant factor in the equation.  It shouldn't be ignored, just viewed as one of a number of important factors and taken in context of the player's full developmental history.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, capstone21 said:

Next in line for that assumption will be Haliburton in my opinion. Not highly touted in HS or as a College Freshmen. He is old for a lottery pick and not great to watch. He just gets the job done at a high level on both ends of the floor.

33 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Next in line for that assumption will be Haliburton in my opinion. Not highly touted in HS or as a College Freshmen. He is old for a lottery pick and not great to watch. He just gets the job done at a high level on both ends of the floor.

I think that's a fair assessment. There are about two guys this year like that recently in the last two drafts 

Ja

Clarke 

Obi

Hali

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I think that's a fair assessment. There are about two guys this year like that recently in the last two drafts 

Ja

Clarke 

Obi

Hali

Why is Ja listed here?  He was 19 when drafted.  That is very different from 22.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Ja

Clarke 

This modern day Grizz team is shaping up and reminding me a bit of the Sonics 90’s team. I was a fan of GP, Kemp, Detlef, McKey before him. 

I predicted a Hawks/Grizz finals in one of these threads last year for 2023. That would be pretty cool. Geographically speaking and just the firepower 🔥 in two fun teams.

Buzz 🐝: No I’m not a Grizz fan, I’m still a Clippers fan 🤫 😆 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

This modern day Grizz team is shaping up and reminding me a bit of the Sonics 90’s team. I was a fan of GP, Kemp, Detlef, McKey before him. 

I predicted a Hawks/Grizz finals in one of these threads last year for 2023. That would be pretty cool. Geographically speaking and just the firepower 🔥 in two fun teams.

Buzz 🐝: No I’m not a Grizz fan, I’m still a Clippers fan 🤫 😆 

It would be great but I am becoming more skeptical of late for us.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

It would be great but I am becoming more skeptical of late for us.

Why come?

is it because Schlenk sounds like he’s about to be real cheap. 😂 

Edited by Spud2nique