• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks Offseason Officially Starts!

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

C'mon @NBASupes....calm down, just because the rest of us don't watch as much tape as you no need to get all up in arms because we don't see in Toppin what you see. It's not like you have not been wrong in your draft assessments before. Stop trying to oversell the kid as some generational offensive player. You took the same approach with Marvin Bagley and to some extent Mo Bamba with some of these gems (and trying to trade JC back then too):

On 5/19/2018 at 12:02 AM, NBASupes said:

Memphis open to trading #4. Most Hawks fans bashed me for this and rightfully so but what about 
Bazemore/Prince/Collins/33rd for Parsons/4 

Gives us a core of: Bamba, Sexton and Bagley. With two more years of the rebuild.

On 5/19/2018 at 12:51 AM, NBASupes said:

But hear me out. Bamba might be transcendent which I already think Bagley will be and you get to place him with Bagley. That covers our frontcourt for the next 12-15 years. 

On 5/19/2018 at 12:06 PM, NBASupes said:

I really see Bagley as Michael Jordan like offensive prospect. My highest rated in over 15 years.

If he was all you claim to be (KAT, Webber), he would be the consensus #1 pick in a weak draft. He would have separated himself from the rest and rise to the top without much debate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

C'mon @NBASupes....calm down, just because the rest of us don't watch as much tape as you no need to get all up in arms because we don't see in Toppin what you see. It's not like you have not been wrong in your draft assessments before. Stop trying to oversell the kid as some generational offensive player. You took the same approach with Marvin Bagley and to some extent Mo Bamba with some of these gems (and trying to trade JC back then too):

If he was all you claim to be (KAT, Webber), he would be the consensus #1 pick in a weak draft. He would have separated himself from the rest and rise to the top without much debate.

You know how many posts we all had in that thread in every direction. If you want to pick the ones that look bad today, also pick the ones that look amazing today. Don't be a shit head. Be fair. 

I had posts in there that was for landing Luka and Mikal Bridges. I had so many posts in that thread depending on the time and situation. It was assumed Doncic was going to the Kings for the longest. 

Edited by NBASupes

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

You know how many posts we all had in that thread in every direction. If you want to pick the ones that look bad today, also pick the ones that look amazing today. Don't be a shit head. Be fair. 

I'm saying you took the same approach to your 'scouting' and decrying anyone else's point of view.

43 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm saying you took the same approach to your 'scouting' and decrying anyone else's point of view.

You are looking for obviously shitty posts while bypassing my great posts like the ones that was 100% on Luka and Trae. 

The whole MJ/Bagley was taken out of context. It was about their physical ceiling being through the roof. Bagley had everything athletically, it was just mental for Marvin and he could be insane. I was wrong. He has health issues and mental is a BIG issue as well. Bigger than I made it seem. I was wrong but don't single out the trash when I dropped gems like Santa. He also has work ethic issues and will issues. If he wants it, he could be better than anyone. He doesn't have any physical flaws from a basketball stance. He is also a naturally smart kid. I figured, he just needed time. Maybe I was naive to that and the internet scouts as well as some real ones were right on the ball with him on that. 

Since then, I changed how I value bigs. I realized, I had flaws I needed to work on. Freshmen out of college are extremely hard to nail. 

• Premium Member
42 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

You are looking for obviously shitty posts while bypassing my great posts like the ones that was 100% on Luka and Trae. 

Fine Supes...you still don't get it!

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Fine Supes...you still don't get it!

What is there to get, you singled me out in a thread about Toppin about mfers I clearly missed on which still have a chance to hit, I mean, what, they are 21 but still, you came in here to show me wrong, you just ended up looking like you are looking for a fight. When do I ever go through your post history to shit on you jay? Ever? When? 

• Premium Member

An already long season....

Draft date could still be pushed back

On Thursday, the NBA’s board of governors voted to approve a 22-team format to resume play on July 31, and we also learned when the league plans to hold its annual offseason events. The draft lottery is scheduled for August 25, and the draft is tentatively set for October 15. The draft’s date could be pushed back if any games or other events need to be postponed due to the coronavirus, according to multiple sources.

Which also means FAcy will be pushed back@

@JayBirdHawk, just so we are clear. Bagley has more natural God-given talent in his pinky than Horford and Toppin have in their entire bodies. Same for John Wall has more God-given talent in his pinky than Steph Curry and Damian Lillard. 

Bagley has an insane amount of talent and offensively, he could redefine what we expect offensively from the PF position but what he has shown us is some serious flaws. His ball screens are as bad as Damian Jones. 

His movement off the ball is nonexistent. He has tunnel vision in the low-post on back to the basket. 

He's a rebounding wizard, that much is obvious. Defensively, he's mentally a step or two slow like Jones often but unlike Jones, he's capable of athletically doing the right things. 

He feels more like Andrew "Maple Jordan" Wiggins than right now than Michael Jordan. He physically has everything basketball wise. He's missing nothing. You can coach what he doesn't have but is he willing to be coached and can he be coach should have been a question I asked myself when he was prospect. 

He can still be special but we said the same for Wiggins for years and years. He has to want it. He has to want it. 

4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

An already long season....

Which also means FAcy will be pushed back@

I would imagine it goes hand in hand. 

• Premium Member

You Can’t Fly in the NBA Unless You Have Wings

While ball-dominant guards and big men have long ruled the league, there’s now a greater appreciation—and market—for two-way wings. What does the 2020 draft class have to offer?

Wings carry a ton of responsibility in today’s NBA. Just look at the Rockets. P.J. Tucker goes from bruising Anthony Davis in the post one night to defending Luka Doncic’s step-backs the next. Robert Covington protects the rim, yet he’s also tasked with defending elite guards on the perimeter. On offense, both of them primarily shoot spot-up 3s, but they also set screens and roll hard to the rim like big men usually would. The league has become a positionless place, and versatile wings like Tucker and Covington are the sticky pieces who make everything around them work.

But it’s usually not easy to find complementary wings who shine in their own roles alongside stars.

Isaac Okoro, Devin Vessell, Patrick Williams, Robert Woodward, Tyler Bay.

https://www.theringer.com/2020/6/8/21276726/nba-draft-2020-wings-prospects

• Thanks 3

• Premium Member

Option dates moved to October 15th.

Looking ahead to next season: Certain players have guaranteed contract dates or player option dates that must be sorted out. The solution being negotiated is straightforward: The date would change in proportion to the original calendar. Gordon Hayward and Andre Drummond, for example, had until June 29, two days before the old first day of free agency on July 1, to pick up their options for next season. Under this proposal, that date would move to October 16, two days before the new free agency opening on October 18.

• Admin

Players I hope we target in no particular order.

Kris Dunn: backup pg who can effectively guard either backcourt spot.  He can play behind and along side Trae and will help alleviate two huge needs.  Defense and the ability to have someone else run the offense for spurts.

JJJ if we can offer the right package that Memphis will bite on.  Odds are slim but JC/our pick for JJJ their pick.  We might have to add some sweetener.  If we are getting rid of JC then I want value in return.  JJJ spreads the court and defends at an all nba level.  His durability is the only thing that worries me about him.  

Brandon Ingram :  I would max offer this guy and see if NO matches.  He would be a great fit here.  Can play mutliple positions, defend and run the offense through him as well.  I don't see NO letting him go but it is worth the try.

Jerami Grant :  Like Jaybird, I like this guys fit too.  He works hard and can defend either forward spot.  He can hit the spot up three and doesn't stop hustling.  Would really strengthen the bench.

Joe Harris:  Would be our new Korver but I feel he will cost too much.  We definitely need some more three point shooting.  Probably find his kind of role from someone who will come cheaper.  

Jaylen Brown:  Our pick plus KH and something else.  Brown would be an awesome get but probably a huge pipe dream. 

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

So if guys contracts end this summer does that mean they get pushed to end in October and the teams pay them an extra months?

The push date is to pick up options for next season.

No extra money for current contracts.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The push date is to pick up options for next season.

No extra money for current contracts.

Probably a dumb question but what about players in the 'bubble' who have expiring contracts?

• Premium Member

Its amazing how others see our players.  In particular many think that;

1. John can't be a 2nd star and shouldn't be paid even though he is a highly efficient player averaging 21/10/1.6

2. Cam Reddish has no potential nor does Huerter so trade them along with a bunch of picks for Olidipo etc.

3. Trae will never improve his defense so he can only play with certain players.

4. This dude also thinks that the Hawks are running out of time.

5. This year's lottery pick isn't important

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

1. John can't be a 2nd star and shouldn't be paid even though he is a highly efficient player averaging 21/10/1.6

2. Cam Reddish has no potential nor does Huerter so trade them along with a bunch of picks for Olidipo etc.

3. Trae will never improve his defense so he can only play with certain players.

1. He's right about 1 but from the rest of the shit, I don't know the context

2. Lol

3. Ha

4. To a degree. Once you start paying, the clock starts ticking. Trae and Kevin are two years away. John has one year left. 

5. It's very important. That's idiotic talk

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
37 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Probably a dumb question but what about players in the 'bubble' who have expiring contracts?

Their current contracts stands as is. They've been getting paid for not playing the couple of months. 

They'll be FAs at the end of the season, whenever that is.

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

🤦‍♀️ why did you make me click on this. I had a 227 article no click streak going. I gotta admit the poster got to me, then once inside, horror. #noclicksever

• Haha 2