• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Who do you want at #6?

NBASupes

9 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I must be misintepretating something.  Horford is signed through 22/23.  The final year 22/23 is guaranteed for $14,500,000.  

That's just too much for my  liking. I mean I do understand we could for Horford.  The cons out weigh the pros in my book.

Three years left and pricey. To get the #21? No thanks. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Exactly, which is why we want to use our space to take on someone else's sacrifice to the LT gods.  An easy example is Andrew Wiggins. If GS can find a trading partner, he'll be sacrificed on the altar of of the LT Repeat Offender God (who happens to be a wrathful and unforgiving diety).

AKA the 'ROG. Don't mess with the 'ROG.

1 hour ago, thecampster said:

No I get that and I'm a word smith, no hate in my body.

My bigger fear is we're trading down a few slots thinking there's a big man we want and it doesn't materialize. I'm always nervous about sliding down 5 only to find out the player you were targeting goes 1 slot ahead of where you landed.

I believe #6 is a trade down scenario to acquire a contributing player/salary and pick up a future pick (unless it's Boston and then we'd be grabbing 14 and future considerations). I think us getting in on picks 20-25 is a 2nd or Bruno (depending on what we're getting) to take on a contract and get a pick, maybe more.  Something like the Philly deal for 21 + Horford and we only give up a future 2nd.

Oooooh, on this Howard Beck podcast they discussed potential Knicks picks at 8.  Cole Anthony's name came up and the guest said he's hearing Anthony has lost support among teams.

Expects, if NYK wants him, they can package later picks to move up and take him at say .... 20.

Not saying I was doubting you, just interesting to hear some level of corroboration from a 3rd party.

Wait, wait, wait, scratch all that.  What I meant to say was, "My sources are confirming Anthony will be picked around the 20 spot."

😎

Put me in the crowd that feels #21 is just not enough to take on Horford. I'm not totally against bringing him back (but I mainly am), but you have to think of it from Philly's side. If they can't get rid of him, they're stuck for years with a capped out roster paying LT out the wazoo with no way to improve. I think they would prefer giving an extra first (even if it's '24 or beyond) over letting Horford rot like an apple in a fruit bowl that is PHI. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Exactly, which is why we want to use our space to take on someone else's sacrifice to the LT gods.  An easy example is Andrew Wiggins. If GS can find a trading partner, he'll be sacrificed on the altar of of the LT Repeat Offender God (who happens to be a wrathful and unforgiving diety).

With Wiggins, 3 years and ~$95M owed is going to be very, very difficult to find someone willing to take him.  I wouldn't want the Hawks to touch him.  Seems like a certain cut candidate if amnesty comes back.  Would be tough to pay him that much money while cutting him but the cap savings would be worth more than his play.

30 minutes ago, AHF said:

With Wiggins, 3 years and ~$95M owed is going to be very, very difficult to find someone willing to take him.  I wouldn't want the Hawks to touch him.  Seems like a certain cut candidate if amnesty comes back.  Would be tough to pay him that much money while cutting him but the cap savings would be worth more than his play.

They are very much going to have to pay someone to take him. They obviously aren't giving up #2 this year but it may take a few top 10 protected 1sts.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, thecampster said:

They are very much going to have to pay someone to take him. They obviously aren't giving up #2 this year but it may take a few top 10 protected 1sts.

It will be interesting to see if anyone bites on that.  If I'm taking firsts from a time period where Steph, Klay and Dray have added a #2 overall pick to that talent then I'm wanting unprotected picks at the least.  Those picks are likely to be in the 20's unless you are pushing that out quite a ways and a 2021, 2023 and 2025 top 10 protected picks I would think just aren't that enticing to a GM who will have to deal with 3 years of paying Andrew Wiggins >$30M per.

1 minute ago, AHF said:

It will be interesting to see if anyone bites on that.  If I'm taking firsts from a time period where Steph, Klay and Dray have added a #2 overall pick to that talent then I'm wanting unprotected picks at the least.  Those picks are likely to be in the 20's unless you are pushing that out quite a ways and a 2021, 2023 and 2025 top 10 protected picks I would think just aren't that enticing to a GM who will have to deal with 3 years of paying Andrew Wiggins >$30M per.

Depends on where people are in their process.  When you see 3 years left, its really 2 because you can always move that player in his expiring year. So us a few years ago, pre Trae draft...ya we would have bit.  Even rebuilding you have to sell tickets and hope sells tickets.

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Depends on where people are in their process.  When you see 3 years left, its really 2 because you can always move that player in his expiring year. So us a few years ago, pre Trae draft...ya we would have bit.  Even rebuilding you have to sell tickets and hope sells tickets.

I wouldn't count on being able to move someone that expensive in their walk year.  It isn't hard to envision scenarios where we look back at 2019-20 as the high water mark for some time for the salary cap.  If the league suffers large financial losses and takes a few years to walk the cap down to a lower baseline, then a $33.6M salary isn't something I'd bank on always being able to move unless by 'able to move' you mean 'move by attaching picks or other assets to it or by taking on toxic assets in return.'  

Last year was a rising cap season and we certainly didn't have any interest in anyone looking to take on Chandler Parsons with him comparatively modest $25M price tag.  Wiggins could represent 33% of a team's total cap space in his walk season.

On the other point, I agree with you.  A team just starting their rebuild could justify having a large salary on the cap for 3 years if you are getting an offer like 3 first round picks.  Even then, though, that is a heck of a price tag for late first round picks.  Like if GS ends up with the 26th pick next season, you are paying roughly $30M for that pick.  The economics change if you put an actual value on what Wiggins brings to the table but I do not.  (Objectively, I could see someone putting a $5-10M value on his contributions or something like that which would at least theoretically offset some of the price but that still converts to a really high price tag for picks highly likely to be in the 20's.)

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

More podcast notes:

Howard Beck's 'cast talking draft.

- Beck didn't realize just how young we are/were.

- His guest picked Haliburton for us, said he'll be like a "vet" rookie due to maturity, skill-set.  Presence beyond his years, stte.  Said his BPA at this point is Okongwu despite choosing Haliburton for us.

- "How do you feel about Trae's development?" "... uh, he's good."

- Not high on Hunter pick, nice player, good roleplayer.  Had Reddish rated higher, feels good about him.  Disappointed Heurter didn't take a step forward, still believe in his shooting.

- Collins keeps getting better, question is can you win with him, do you pay him.  Wants to see how Capela impacts him/hides his defense.

- Hawks are a blast to watch win or lose.  Rumblings that Young is a stat-chaser (aka the Crabbe/Turner rumor) but is still young, can grow out of that. (shut up, Howard).

Everything he said was fair

1 hour ago, thecampster said:

Only way I take him is if he comes with #2... I'd consider throwing Kevin or Bruno in since they likely want something to help them compete now. 

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, marco102 said:

I must be misintepretating something.  Horford is signed through 22/23.  The final year 22/23 is guaranteed for $14,500,000.  

That's just too much for my  liking. I mean I do understand we could for Horford.  The cons out weigh the pros in my book.

4 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Three years left and pricey. To get the #21? No thanks. 

Agreed. We got #17 for Crabbe's expiring at $16 million. Granted Al is a better player but not $54 million better for only the #21 pick in a lousy draft.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Okongwu is likely going 6. To us, probably not. There is suitors and TS wants a future 1st

How far you think he's willing to trade down? Didnt he say they we were focusing on 7 players?  Which 7 might that be? And which one will be available when we trade back? lol. If we come out of this draft with Cole Anthony(3rd pg) and + a draft pick Im not gonna be happy...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NBASupes said:

FA don't really want to come to Atlanta this year. We don't have much PT available and they aren't going to be core pieces. If we are the only team interested, they will come but we just don't have many minutes available. 

Players on contracts have no say. 

Where would Bertans, Harris, etc..be core pieces? 

19 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Harris would not Bertans but Harris doesn't want to move out of NY. That's why the NY teams are his targets and they both want him bad

Im not that high on Harris anyway. We already have a neutral wingspan sg on the roster..I think Kev can be as good or better imo. I think Harris is overrated on Hawks boards because we're so desperate for a real NBA bench and we have the most $...lol. He goes to the Knicks,  and we'll never hear from him again..Look at this defense....

Edited by terrell

16 minutes ago, terrell said:

Im not that high on Harris anyway. We already have a neutral wingspan sg on the roster..I think Kev can be as good or better imo. I think Harris is overrated on Hawks boards because we're so desperate for a real NBA bench and we have the most $...lol. He goes to the Knicks,  and we'll never hear from him again..Look at this defense....

All of the wanted FA don't want to come here due to PT and wanting to be in our core