• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2020-2021 Season News and Notes

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
41 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Sounds like he was afraid of having to compete for playing time with Rondo/Heurter/Cam.  I can see why he'd think it's not a great fit here if he wanted immediate minutes.

Ding ding ding 🛎 

• Moderators
16 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

Sounds like he was afraid of having to compete for playing time with Rondo/Heurter/Cam.  I can see why he'd think it's not a great fit here if he wanted immediate minutes.

Yep.  And who can blame him.  The guys the last few years who have really risen to the top are the guys that got big minutes as rookies.  

But also he really thought he'd go anywhere 2-7.   Falling down to where he went was worst case scenario.  these guys know what the salaries are. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
17 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

Are those three scarier than Bogi, Hield and Cory Joseph?  Really?

• Haha 1

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

He didn't really think he was going to the Kings or want to go there.  He wanted to go to Chicago or Detroit. 

Then I get each of those rosters having a lot less in the way of good talent at the 1/2.  I thought we were specifically contrasting him being happy about going to Sacto vs us where it doesn't make much sense to me.  I think Bogi is back in Sacto if they don't draft Hali.  I think we don't sign Bogi if we drafted Hali.  Neither scenario was a lock for a college kid looking at pro rosters pre-draft.

• Like 2

So, now that it's smellin' like the Mavs are gonna be a play-in team ...

https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/news/i-dont-see-the-point-doncic-blasts-nbas-play-in-tournament

"You play 72 games to get in the playoffs and then maybe you lose two in a row and you’re out of the playoffs. I don’t see the point of that."

Ownership certainly holds his star accountable .... bwhat? ....

So if you were a 1 er 2-seed, and this setup benefited you because you'd likely be facing a diminished opponent, would it still be a mistake?  If you ascend to the 5 er 6 and you avoid the play-in, would you still be concerned about it?

This falls under them things you think but don't say, honestly.  Certainly not MVP talk unless it stands for mainly voicing complaints.

As a side note, my guy Isola said on NBARadio this morning that he's been hearing the marriage with Porzingo has not gone well.  You can kinda see some weirdness between them in games so it'll be interesting to see what happens for them in the offseason.  I mean besides them tryna sign Lauri Markkanen (I'm calling that one, don't @ me bleachk).

All in all, I think perhaps folks should put a hold on that champagne order destined for Dallas.  Eggsperts told us it wasn't a question of whether they'd win a title, it was only a question of how many.  Seems like there's some sorting out that needs to be done there.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, AHF said:

Then I get each of those rosters having a lot less in the way of good talent at the 1/2.  I thought we were specifically contrasting him being happy about going to Sacto vs us where it doesn't make much sense to me.  I think Bogi is back in Sacto if they don't draft Hali.  I think we don't sign Bogi if we drafted Hali.  Neither scenario was a lock for a college kid looking at pro rosters pre-draft.

I agree with this take it makes sense. Cant double up on Bogi and Hali if you’re either club. 

I would hate to agree with Luka, Cuban and even Draymond (for the second time backing Draymond today, thanks @macdaddy 😢) the play in stinks. It makes money for Adam Silver. Does it get 4 more fan bases excited for the tourney, sure, but it does kind of screw 2 teams (7,8 seeds) who should deserve a shot at a 7 game series after an 82 game (72 this year) campaign.

Lauri to Mavs @kg01 I’m not betting against you..for obvious reasons. 🏃‍♀️ 

28 minutes ago, AHF said:

Even though I'm very high on Doncic as a player, I've never viewed them as destined for rings.  He can't carry a team to a title on his own, imo.  They are not a shoo-in to even make the playoffs at this point in their build.  

As far as this whining coming from Cuban, it is exactly as you suggest.  If his team was lined up for a top 5 seed then Cuban would not have a negative word to say about the play-in game.  It is purely because he is now scared his team won't be able to win the play-in and will end up with fewer playoff games and a diminished rep.

They're facing the proposition of a Curry-led Warriors team in what a 2-game "series".  I can see one guy going off from 3 and another guy, who apparently won't listen to folks telling him he's not as good as shooter as he thinks, tryna match and getting his team eliminated.  Dirk-style ousting by the lower seed despite being a favorite.

And, in case anyone thinks this is sour-grapey Trae v L stuff, please understand we're over the 'trade'.  This team just happens to be in the cross-hairs due to the comments that were made last night

2 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Lauri to Mavs @kg01 I’m not betting against you..for obvious reasons. 🏃‍♀️ 

🤓 Just playin' the percentages, homes.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Sorry to hear about Jamal Murray. Was hoping for a Utah and Denver final. Not a fan of the LA teams. 

This is evidence bleachk is a time-traveler.  A UTA/DEN Finals only happens in 2025 when they've gone to 1-16 playoff seeding.

Quick gimme lotto numbers, bleach.

ETA: I do agree with your sentiment though.  Seeming like we're heading to the LAC/LAL WCF.  Hoping they meet in the early rounds instead atleast.

Edited by kg01

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

So, now that it's smellin' like the Mavs are gonna be a play-in team ...

https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/news/i-dont-see-the-point-doncic-blasts-nbas-play-in-tournament

Ownership certainly holds his star accountable .... bwhat? ....

So if you were a 1 er 2-seed, and this setup benefited you because you'd likely be facing a diminished opponent, would it still be a mistake?  If you ascend to the 5 er 6 and you avoid the play-in, would you still be concerned about it?

This falls under them things you think but don't say, honestly.  Certainly not MVP talk unless it stands for mainly voicing complaints.

As a side note, my guy Isola said on NBARadio this morning that he's been hearing the marriage with Porzingo has not gone well.  You can kinda see some weirdness between them in games so it'll be interesting to see what happens for them in the offseason.  I mean besides them tryna sign Lauri Markkanen (I'm calling that one, don't @ me bleachk).

All in all, I think perhaps folks should put a hold on that champagne order destined for Dallas.  Eggsperts told us it wasn't a question of whether they'd win a title, it was only a question of how many.  Seems like there's some sorting out that needs to be done there.

I agree with everything you said about Doncic and the Mavericks, but with how close 4-8 are in the East, I've had some similar feelings. I can't remember correctly, did the NBA say this was just a one time thing? Personally, I'd rather see the 9/10 seeds play a single game playoff, with the winner of that playing the 8th seed in the play-in. Finishing 7th in your conference obviously isn't something you hang a banner for, but I do think you shouldn't have to worry about the play-in game. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, cam1218 said:

I agree with everything you said about Doncic and the Mavericks, but with how close 4-8 are in the East, I've had some similar feelings. I can't remember correctly, did the NBA say this was just a one time thing? Personally, I'd rather see the 9/10 seeds play a single game playoff, with the winner of that playing the 8th seed in the play-in. Finishing 7th in your conference obviously isn't something you hang a banner for, but I do think you shouldn't have to worry about the play-in game. 

I hope it's a one time thing because I don't like it either.

I just have issues with folks complaining in the scenario DAL finds itself.

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, cam1218 said:

I do like that the higher seed team at risk has to lose twice but only needs to win once.  There should be some reward for finishing in the top half of the conference if you are going to do a play-in game.  

I don't like the one-and-done MLB format they have used in the past for the wild card game.

• Moderators

NBA may come out ok on this really.   The way teams are bunched up, especially in the east, it makes more sense to have 7-10 playing in because they'll all be within 2 games of each other anyway after a compressed schedule, lots of injuries, and postponed games.   

Not sure i like this format forever though.