• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Kings

lethalweapon3

Justin Case:  Atlanta Hawks passed on Tyrese Haliburton in the draft.  Since he was my choice and I had no favorite team in the western division, I became a fan of the Kings when they weren't playing the Hawks.

Well, last night our draft pick, Agent OO17, didn't lead us to victory.  Haliburton, on the other hand, had a major part in the Kings win.

A tale of two Traes.  Fantastic the way his floater was going in.  Couldn't miss.  On the other side of Trae, he couldn't get his 3 ball to drop at all.  For three quarters he continued with this mystery,  Hot from the floater and ice cold from distance.  Then, late in the 4th quarter, he reversed this.  He hit a bomb from downtown and failed to score from close in.

It's a learning process.  Hopefully, Atlanta is learning.  Did we play down to our competition?  No.  The Kings are not that bad.  Check out their recent record.  They have been winning more than they are losing.

Rest up.  We looked tired.  Trade deadline @ 3 PM.  No game until that's over.  Go Hawks!

:smug:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I fell asleep during the 3rd, so I can't comment on exactly what happened at the end of the game.  I can only see one of the last 2 shots that Trae took.  The most controversial one I can't see, but I'll speak on the shot he took around 40 seconds left.

On that play, he wasn't fully past Fox, but he gotten at least parallel to him.  Holmes is under the rim in front of Collins, but he has his eyes completely locked on Trae.   Trae makes the decision to take about a 12 foot floater ( a little beyond where he normally takes it ), and it hits front rim.

The shot wasn't contested by Fox, and he was still far away from Holmes, so he was open when he shot it.  He just didn't put enough power behind it.  And seeing that he was going 2 for 1, I personally don't have a problem with that particular shot.  I'll even make the case that if he drives any further, he runs more of a risk of turning the ball over in that situation.

Now that other shot that everyone says that he stopped on, I haven't seen that, so I can't comment.

You should watch it, it's a strange play, Trae gets alone under the basket and decides not to take a lay up and ends up getting stripped. Not sure what he was doing.

We didn't want to hear it but a lot of things were going our way on that streak , most notably as was mentioned in several well written articles (rare) our opponents were missing wide open shots at a rate that wasn't close to the mean, were going get back to that and come back down to earth.  Certainly this could be a perennial playoff team , but is that what we want ? No we have those all the time in ATL in fact that is Atl sports.  I know we want to see the young guys grow but it's much more likely collins raises our floor than does much for the ceiling of the team.  I just don't want to fall into another above avg atl team 🤷‍♀️no I don't have all the answers , but Im never going to have issues with getting unprotected lottery picks until we have the "one" . I don't think trea is it imo

Edited by hylndr11

• Premium Member
34 minutes ago, hylndr11 said:

We didn't want to hear it but a lot of things were going our way on that streak , most notably as was mentioned in several well written articles (rare) our opponents were missing wide open shots at a rate that wasn't close to the mean, were going get back to that and come back down to earth.  Certainly this could be a perennial playoff team , but is that what we want ? No we have those all the time in ATL in fact that is Atl sports.  I know we want to see the young guys grow but it's much more likely collins raises our floor than does much for the ceiling of the team.  I just don't want to fall into another above avg atl team 🤷‍♀️no I don't have all the answers , but Im never going to have issues with getting unprotected lottery picks until we have the "one" . I don't think trea is it imo

I also don't think Trae is "the one" but I certainly don't want to spend my life waiting for "the one" to fall in our laps. You see, Giannis is the one for Milwaukee but they never won anything. 

I'd much rather root for a perennial playoff team than for a bottom-feeder. You guys can wait all you want, no problem, I just prefer to be entertained. I think to be a champion we first need to be in the playoffs. and THEN add the right pieces to improve the team. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Why we lost.

We scored 17 points in the 3rd and couldn't defend.  We can't and won't win with this. We went scoreless the last 5+ minutes of the 3rd after being tied at 74.  Here is how it unfolded:

Trae TO, Trae miss from 3, Hunter miss 2, Bogi miss 3, Hunter miss floater, Huerter miss 2, Knight miss 3, Hunter miss 3, Hunter TO - 9 straight possessions with a Goose Egg.  

Collins had 1 shot attempt in the 3rd, none in the 4th. (I didn't see the 4th so I won't comment)

I praised Huerter a few days ago and said - he seems to have settle in now that he doesn't have to play backup PG and has a well defined role - then there he was at backup PG last night - no Nate, don't do that again.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I'm just not understanding why Mays can't get in a game.   He can't do any worse than Heurter and Bogi running the point and heck the dude can at least drive the ball.   This is what we get with Nate though.  He's old school so that comes with mistrust of young guys.   

Not getting the ball to JC in the 4th is criminal.   We really blew this game.  Played lazy, scared.  Heurter has been trash lately and maybe losing his starting job soon.  

On to the next one.  Hopefully these guys get their act together.   It was a terrible game that was there for the taking at the end.  Just a lot of bad shots.   I'm not too worried.   but a bit.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BrazilianHawk said:

I also don't think Trae is "the one" but I certainly don't want to spend my life waiting for "the one" to fall in our laps. You see, Giannis is the one for Milwaukee but they never won anything. 

I'd much rather root for a perennial playoff team than for a bottom-feeder. You guys can wait all you want, no problem, I just prefer to be entertained. I think to be a champion we first need to be in the playoffs. and THEN add the right pieces to improve the team. 

I used to agree with you, 😉but that shit got old, well said though , I think we all are pretty much on one end or other of this spectrum 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Trae does seem different this year.   before this year there were pretty amazing plays and passes from him nightly.  Maybe we've just gotten used to him but doesn't seem as dynamic for some reason.   Or maybe he's just not dominating the ball as much?

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

Trae does seem different this year.   before this year there were pretty amazing plays and passes from him nightly.  Maybe we've just gotten used to him but doesn't seem as dynamic for some reason.   Or maybe he's just not dominating the ball as much?

I think he has been playing a lot differently. The foul baiting is real, I don't remember him trying to get this many calls in previous years. It's a shame. 

• Sad 1

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, BrazilianHawk said:

I think he has been playing a lot differently. The foul baiting is real, I don't remember him trying to get this many calls in previous years. It's a shame. 

I honestly wish he'd go back to it.   The refs have targeted him and he's backed down.   I'd say 90% of his 'baited' fouls were fouls.   I think he needs to attack more and try to force their hand. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
50 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

His 1st 2 season was just him and JC in the PnR, everyone else was secondary. The offense evolved this year, so there is/was an adjustment period.

He has more mouths to feed so he's trying to balance getting everyone else touches.

Now with Nate, they aren't running as much PnR.

He's also balancing his affinity to score with hablving more people to feed. Early in the season when he was missing the floater, I thought it was indecision with regards to taking the floater or lobbing to Capela. Also, with Capela in the paint, his defender is also their so the timing of the floater over that big took an adjustment.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Bonkers said:

I just watched the 4th qtr and Huerter isn't getting enough of the blame for this L lol

Sir Render really lived up to his name by giving up a 4 point play in crunch time hahahaha

That play was the difference. Nate benched him for Hunter which was the correct move, but again the game was really lost in the 3rd quarter. I know the team is tired, there's a hole lot of hands on knees, but we have to find a way to match the oppossing teams' intensity or we won't win. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, bleachkit said:

You should watch it, it's a strange play, Trae gets alone under the basket and decides not to take a lay up and ends up getting stripped. Not sure what he was doing.

Waiting for contact. Knew the defender was behind him and stopped in hopes of baiting the guy into running into his back. It's one of his go to moves... guess he felt that Fox would go for the block instead of the strip. 

Not defending the decision though, it was a poor one. Should have gone up for the layup with such little time left.

Edited by Atlantaholic

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

It's a learning process.  Hopefully, Atlanta is learning.  Did we play down to our competition?  No.  The Kings are not that bad.  Check out their recent record.  They have been winning more than they are losing.

Rest up.  We looked tired.  Trade deadline @ 3 PM.  No game until that's over.  Go Hawks!

:smug:

Can't help but wonder if Snell's particularly less than stellar performance statistically may have been psychologically connected to this factoid.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sturt said:

Can't help but wonder if Snell's particularly less than stellar performance statistically may have been psychologically connected to this factoid.

Probably just had an off night. He's not one to hunt for his own shot, so the ball has the find him. 

• Like 2