• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Nuggets

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, Dnice said:

Well Rotoworld says Clint's questionable with "Right hand soreness".

11 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

There he's been done screwy stuff with injury reports lately on NBA.com, not sure what's going on.

10 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Trae going to sit tonight too as doctors keep a close eye on some mosquito bites

I've never checked RotoWorld until today.  This is what they have:

image.png

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

I see you posting correlative stats a lot on here and then implying cause/effect -- just wanted to point out that is not how statistics work or good science / data analysis, especially in something as multi-faceted as basketball.  You can make accurate judgements on the past that are factual such as "We have won X games when Trae scores more than 30 this season" but extrapolating that into predicting future outcomes is misguided

Is it truly misguided? 

Predictive analysis is literally using past data and other elements surrounding that data, to predict what may happen in the future.  It isn't a guarantee.  But if "x" happens ( especially if it happens a lot ) . . which leads to "y" happening, you can make a pretty good assumption that if "x" happens in the future, "y" will happen again.

The NBA in particular is a game in which not only superstars, but superstar play ( from any person ), can determine the outcome of a game.  Most important, when a superstar type of scorer gets going, he can impose his will on a game.  This is why when you see a bad team, normally that team does not have a superstar type talent.   When you see a good team, that team will almost always have a superstar offensive talent on the roster that can take over games at any moment.

But unlike other teams, it seems as if the Hawks want everybody to get going, BUT their superstar offensive talent.

Keep this number in mind . . . 116 points.   Whether we score 116 points, or give it up, this seems to be the point total that more than likely determines whether we win or lose games.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

Trae going to sit tonight too as doctors keep a close eye on some mosquito bites

LOL @ Trae sitting, and I placed a $50 bet on the Hawks to win as part of 5 team parlay, right before the start of the Gonzaga game.

Normally I would round robin the bet, but I was in a hurry to get it in before the start of the Zags game.

Why Me Crying GIF by Team Coco - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Haha 1

• Moderators
15 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Is it truly misguided? 

Predictive analysis is literally using past data and other elements surrounding that data, to predict what may happen in the future.  It isn't a guarantee.  But if "x" happens ( especially if it happens a lot ) . . which leads to "y" happening, you can make a pretty good assumption that if "x" happens in the future, "y" will happen again.

The NBA in particular is a game in which not only superstars, but superstar play ( from any person ), can determine the outcome of a game.  Most important, when a superstar type of scorer gets going, he can impose his will on a game.  This is why when you see a bad team, normally that team does not have a superstar type talent.   When you see a good team, that team will almost always have a superstar offensive talent on the roster that can take over games at any moment.

But unlike other teams, it seems as if the Hawks want everybody to get going, BUT their superstar offensive talent.

Keep this number in mind . . . 116 points.   Whether we score 116 points, or give it up, this seems to be the point total that more than likely determines whether we win or lose games.

I am too lazy but you can certainly see if the data is statistically significant or not.  Usually a 95% confidence interval is used in science / data analysis and with the size of the data sets that we have, it is probably only the most extreme that would be significant.  The larger the data set the smaller the gap needs to be to be statistically significant.  (For a team with an overall record around .500, something like going 9-6 in a particular circumstance is almost certainly going to be in the normal range of random outcomes where as going 900-600 is almost certainly going to be significant.  I say almost certain just because I haven't actually run the numbers - it is not truly uncertain if you actually run the numbers.)

• Like 2

I fought Denver and sleep last night.  I won over sleep but lost to Denver.

IF! IF!  IF!  IF !!

Never, ever will we see this year's Hawk team 100% healthy.  It just can't happen.  We take one step forward and have nice thoughts.  Oops.  Another injury.  Hawks can't win for losing.

Hunter played, then went back out.  Collins stepped on Capela's foot, turned an ankle.  Missed the second half of last night's game and who knows how much more.  We trade for Sweet Lou!  He can't dress out and play yet.  We wait, hopefully.  Maybe next time.  Sigh.  Back to back games to finish this long, long road trek.

Cam - - Another 2 weeks.  Don't forget our other guard who is yet to play.  Kris Dunn was said to be ready to play before this road trip ended.  If he plays, he will now have to hurry!  Chances are, he will not.

Agent OO17, Bruno and Nathan.  Our power three to back up Capela.  Our bench put up a good fight in the second half.  Those players on the floor for the Hawks at the close of the game couldn't.  

GO ATL HAWKS !!

:smug: