• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Nuggets

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Let me repeat myself.  Team stats matter more than individual stats and It aint score stats that matter the most.

My go-to team stats are team assists and offensive boards.  You can usually tell if we won by looking at those two stats.  Tonight we had 18 assists versus Denvers 32, and we had 2 offensive boards versus their 15... yikes

I got a little time tonight.  Might as well go through some of our most important players, to see if what they do on the court, correlates to winning or losing.  I'll repost Collins, and go through some other players:

John Collins

• Hawks are 2 - 5 when he scores 30 or more points
  • Hawks are 7 - 10 when he scores 20 or more points
  • Hawks are 10 - 2 when Collins have 2 or more blocks
  • Hawks are 7 - 2 when Collins has 11 or more rebounds
  • Hawks are 10 - 6 when he has 5 or more FT attempts

Trae Young

• Hawks are 11 - 0 when he scores 32 points or more
  • Hawks are 4 - 7 when he scores less than 20 points . . . ( note: all 4 of those wins have come in the past 2 weeks )
  • Hawks are 6 - 6 when he commits 6 or more turnovers . . . ( his turnovers are an indication of his aggressiveness )
  • Hawks are 8 - 11 when he dishes out 10 or more assists
  • Hawks are 14 - 5 when he makes 9 or more shots
  • Hawks are 13 - 7 when he makes 3 or more 3s

Clint Capela

• Hawks are 7 - 5 when he scores 18 or more points
  • Hawks are 8 - 6 when he has 3 or more blocks
  • Hawks are 11 - 11 when he has 14 or more rebounds
  • Hawks are 6 - 6 when he has 7 or more offensive rebounds . . . ( I would've bet it would be much higher than that )
  • Hawks are 6 - 1 when he attempts 6 or more free throws

Very interesting that part of our success to winning, relies on both Collins and Capela getting to the FT line.  To me, that's an indication of offensive activity either on the offensive glass, or by going strong to the rim.  For Capela, 5 of those 6+ FT attempt games correlated with 20+ point outputs by him.  Of the 16 games in which Collins had 5+ free throws, he scored 20+ points in 10 of them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I got a little time tonight.  Might as well go through some of our most important players, to see if what they do on the court, correlates to winning or losing.  I'll repost Collins, and go through some other players:

John Collins

• Hawks are 2 - 5 when he scores 30 or more points
  • Hawks are 7 - 10 when he scores 20 or more points
  • Hawks are 10 - 2 when Collins have 2 or more blocks
  • Hawks are 7 - 2 when Collins has 11 or more rebounds
  • Hawks are 10 - 6 when he has 5 or more FT attempts

Trae Young

• Hawks are 11 - 0 when he scores 32 points or more
  • Hawks are 4 - 7 when he scores less than 20 points . . . ( note: all 4 of those wins have come in the past 2 weeks )
  • Hawks are 6 - 6 when he commits 6 or more turnovers . . . ( his turnovers are an indication of his aggressiveness )
  • Hawks are 8 - 11 when he dishes out 10 or more assists
  • Hawks are 14 - 5 when he makes 9 or more shots
  • Hawks are 13 - 7 when he makes 3 or more 3s

Clint Capela

• Hawks are 7 - 5 when he scores 18 or more points
  • Hawks are 8 - 6 when he has 3 or more blocks
  • Hawks are 11 - 11 when he has 14 or more rebounds
  • Hawks are 6 - 6 when he has 7 or more offensive rebounds . . . ( I would've bet it would be much higher than that )
  • Hawks are 6 - 1 when he attempts 6 or more free throws

Very interesting that part of our success to winning, relies on both Collins and Capela getting to the FT line.  To me, that's an indication of offensive activity either on the offensive glass, or by going strong to the rim.  For Capela, 5 of those 6+ FT attempt games correlated with 20+ point outputs by him.  Of the 16 games in which Collins had 5+ free throws, he scored 20+ points in 10 of them.

You are over statisticallying! Move the ball, play defense and board, we’ll be fine.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

My go-to team stats are team assists and offensive boards.  You can usually tell if we won by looking at those two stats.  Tonight we had 18 assists versus Denvers 32, and we had 2 offensive boards versus their 15... yikes

Let's see if it correlates with this team.

We've had 9 games in which we've had 15+ offensive boards.  We're only 2 - 7 in those games.  That's shocking, because like you, I would think the Hawks would be winning those types of games.  Then again, a lot of offensive boards normally mean that you're missing a lot of shots.

If you extend it out to 10+ offensive boards, the Hawks are 13 - 16.

How about assists?

We're 5 - 2 when we have 30+ assists, which is great.  We're 14 - 11 when he dish out 25+ assists.  That's decent, but you'd wish that win total would be higher.

Here are the rest

• 12 - 6 when we commit 14+ turnovers .  . . ( which is crazy, but, one again, it's a sign of aggressiveness )
  • 9 - 1 when we have 7+ blocks . . . ( great stat, showing defensive energy . . which is why Knight should be playing over Solo )
  • 11 - 3 when we attempt 29 or more FTs . . . ( that's mainly the Trae effect, but definitely enhanced when other guys are getting to the stripe )
  • 9 - 1 when we make 15+ threes
  • 10 - 2 when we shoot 50% FG
  • 12 - 2 when we score 119+ points
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JeffS17 said:

A lot of dissecting data and the game but that Nuggets team is going to the WCF.  Gordon is a perfect fit for them and Jokic is a machine within 15 feet.  They have a really balanced offense and if Murray goes supernova in the playoffs again and Jokic keeps playing how he is, I would not be surprised at all if they make the finals.  AG filled some holes for them too and their defense should improve too.  I don't like that we got blown out but this was going to be a really tough game regardless...

This game was a good measuring stick for our guys... we have a lot of work to do.  3 of our 4 best defenders are out right now so hopefully they get healthy and we see what the team can with Nate having more lineups at his disposal. 

Nah, I don't think they're going to the WCF.  Defensively, they're in the bottom 10 in the league.  That means they're a few bad shooting games away from being bounced in the playoffs.  The Lakers or Blazers could definitely take them out in the 1st round.

EXPOSED:  If this is a picture of how good or bad our Hawk team would look in the playoffs, we see how good or bad this team will be.

Up until about 2 minutes left in the 1st half, Atlanta was "right there" with Denver.  Suddenly, or so it seemed, there was no defense and a layup drill by Denver closed out the half at which point I fell asleep.

Apparently, it got no better to start the 3rd quarter.  Why?  What happened to our defense at the goal?  Are they really this good?  Or, are we really this bad?  Hawks are still not at full strength.  But those out are all guards or small forward.  That's not where we were were hit.  

EXPOSED:  Last night, we were not as good as we thought we were.  Our offense wasn't really, really good.  Yet, Atlanta scored over 100 points.  Our defense fell flat on our face and never recovered.  Can it be fixed?  Will the coach and his staff have time to work on this?  With all the travel plus all the Covid-19 testing, time becomes a premium.  

Three more games with the final 2 on back to back.  No time to even catch our breath.  Well, we've already won two of these and they can't take them away from us !

GO ATL HAWKS !!

:cry:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Buzzard said:

Bad game and really bad defensive effort. Even down Reddish, Dunn, Williams, and Hunter I expected more effort. The Hawks had shooting splits like 50/50/90 in the 3rd but were down 20.

I did not expect to win this one but still.

Yeah, after the 1st, I was thinking, "Hey we're in this thang."  Then I realized we had like a 2 pt lead even though we were 6/9 from 3.  Like, uh that shooting's not gonna last.

Once it normalized, we had no answers.  Then my worst fears were realized ...

.... we were down big which means DEN was gonna play their non-rotation level players.  Thus the myth that Bol Bol is a good basketball player was gonna get continued life on this site .....

🙄

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Can it be fixed? 

I think if Hunter can get back it would solve a lot of these issues. Having said that, our offense seems way ahead of our D as far as consistency. Most teams in the league are with us here for the most part though.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kg01 said:

Bol Bol i

Baller extraordinaire 😂 With about a minute left after he had circus 🎪’s us I thought he was gonna pull up from Trae (northcyde approved) 40 foot range. That would have been an appropriate ending to the way we played the last 3 quarters. 😂 

I keep trying to dismiss him but he won’t let me. I realize it’s garbage time but he’s growing on me. 

10 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Baller extraordinaire 😂 With about a minute left after he had circus 🎪’s us I thought he was gonna pull up from Trae (northcyde approved) 40 foot range. That would have been an appropriate ending to the way we played the last 3 quarters. 😂 

I keep trying to dismiss him but he won’t let me. I realize it’s garbage time but he’s growing on me. 

DEN was desperate for help for their frontcourt for their run to the Finals.  Malone knew he had to get a game-changer ...

He looked down at the end of the bench ...

desperately wiped the swear from his brow ....

took a deep breath .... 

took another ...

squinted his beautiful, hazel eyes ...

hit speed dial on his flip phone .....

and whispered to his GM, Clint Eastwood-style, "Get me ... Aaron Gordon ...."

"Bwhutabout Bol Bol?", his perplexed GM courageously blurted out ...

Malone cocked his head to the side and let our a hearty ...

100.webp?cid=ecf05e47xykpmapjkpqr4v2kao7

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Nah, I don't think they're going to the WCF.  Defensively, they're in the bottom 10 in the league.  That means they're a few bad shooting games away from being bounced in the playoffs.  The Lakers or Blazers could definitely take them out in the 1st round.

I think AG shores up some of their defensive issues.  It also feels like they're coasting through the regular season on defense, but that's just my opinion from watching them.  

• Moderators

Fun game last night!   Well that was a tall order.   When the other team has 5 guys on the floor who can score our defense struggles. 

But we also struggle when the game gets physical.   I just didn't think Denver played that way.  They havent against us in the past.   I practically begged to get rid of Rondo but this is the one game where we needed someone to get out there and get under someone's skin.   We need Hunter back badly and Cam too.   But someone needs to come in the game and hit people.   OO, Solo, Mays?  Should have gotten Theis.

• Like 3

• Moderators

The only good news from last night is that we can still go 2-1 against the Suns, Spurs and Pelicants and finish this western road trip at a 4-4 record.  I don't have much to add to the comments others have made about our defense, rebounding and energy. You can get away with that type of intensity against a team like the D-League Rockets or the no-AD/Bron Lakers but not against a team with the depth and talent that you see in Denver.  Against a team like that, you need to dig in on defense, box out hard, and do the little things to put yourself in position to win and we didn't show that last night.

Having Cam, Hunter and Dunn will do a lot to help our defense for sure but guys didn't live up to their ability last night.  Disappointing game.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Fun game last night!   Well that was a tall order.   When the other team has 5 guys on the floor who can score our defense struggles. 

But we also struggle when the game gets physical.   I just didn't think Denver played that way.  They havent against us in the past.   I practically begged to get rid of Rondo but this is the one game where we needed someone to get out there and get under someone's skin.   We need Hunter back badly and Cam too.   But someone needs to come in the game and hit people.   OO, Solo, Mays?  Should have gotten Theis.

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47r1fmo7nyn57gs9pbqz

Folks want people gone but don't recognize you gotta replace some of the stuff they bring.  Brought? 🤔

Hunter will help us, but we need some beefy dude(s) and energy guys too to.

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, kg01 said:

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47r1fmo7nyn57gs9pbqz

Folks want people gone but don't recognize you gotta replace some of the stuff they bring.  Brought? 🤔

Hunter will help us, but we need some beefy dude(s) and energy guys too to.

Well Rondo didn't really bring anything.   that's why i wanted him gone but there was the remote chance that Rondo might one day bring what he brought a few years ago.   Last night even that was appealing.  But, no, I'm very happy he's gone.

15 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Well Rondo didn't really bring anything.   that's why i wanted him gone but there was the remote chance that Rondo might one day bring what he brought a few years ago.   Last night even that was appealing.  But, no, I'm very happy he's gone.

Well, in wishing he was round to get under skin, you kinda just admitted that he did, in fact, bring something.

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e475yqijqtkk4h4gq6ayv

The Rondo stuff confuses me.  People clamor for us to not be farm systems for contenders but are happy that we participated in enhancing an actual contender's roster?

Let's be clear, the "Rondo problem" wasn't a Rondo problem.  It was a Dunn problem.

Gah, now it sounds like I'm yelling at you but I'm not.  I'm shaking my fists at clouds, macd.  I still love you.  Let's hug it out.

200.webp?cid=ecf05e47liemlf7nds5h1d6oqe6

(you're welcome)

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

So refreshing to have a coach take some accountability. 

Nate taking a bullet for the team again. In particular Trae, Capela. and Bogi who could not buy a foul call.

• Like 1

Nate:  "I thought we -"  This includes the entire Hawk people present at the game.  The players and the coaches.  All of them apparently had a big brain f ---.  Whatever it was, I hope it never happens again and we can all say, "lesson learned."

:smug:

• Like 1