• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Nuggets

lethalweapon3

5 minutes ago, kg01 said:

It was pretty hilarious when they switched that foul call from Jokic to Trae because he "initiated the contact".

If that's the standard, there should be a lot more offensive fouls called in every game.  Like almost every and-1 is because the offensive player "gets into" the defender's body.

Every scorer says, to avoid getting your shot blocked, you have to go into the defender not try to drift away from them.

Ah well.  All in all, I won't get too upset about the game.  Long road trip.  We still have a chance to end it well.

And in the realm of ATL v DEN tilts, I'd say this one smells more like the outlier.  We've faired well against them the last few years.  I hope DEN fans remember that 40+pt, 10ast Trae dropped in the Mile High City last time we were there.

It was a blatant misuse of the replay rule by giving Denver the timeout while Trae was at the line with the ball in his hand. With our young wings, Huerter, Hunter, and Reddish, we do give this team a harder time. They may not be great over the years; but their length matches up well with Denver.

• Like 1

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

It was a blatant misuse of the replay rule by giving Denver the timeout while Trae was at the line with the ball in his hand. With our young wings, Huerter, Hunter, and Reddish, we do give this team a harder time. They may not be great over the years; but their length matches up well with Denver.

I've yet to understand the replay 'rules' anyway.   I guess the only time you can challenge is if you can somehow stop play?    

Also don't really get how so many teams take an eternity to sub and line up for free throws without a delay a game.   "Oh lebron is getting some water?  Just give him a minute"

But i don't think it's just homerism that the Hawks are currently pretty disrespected by league officials.   Not sure what we can do about it.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I've yet to understand the replay 'rules' anyway.   I guess the only time you can challenge is if you can somehow stop play?    

Also don't really get how so many teams take an eternity to sub and line up for free throws without a delay a game.   "Oh lebron is getting some water?  Just give him a minute"

But i don't think it's just homerism that the Hawks are currently pretty disrespected by league officials.   Not sure what we can do about it.

You touched on two things here so I'll attack them in essay form.

1. Replay is Dumb. Replay is so poorly instituted that they may as well do away with it.  Refs are human.  Unfortunately, error is part of the game and always has been.

It's remarkable how many missed calls happen at a point where there's no natural stoppage.  Like the FREAKING OBVIOUS double-dribble on national TV by Wiseman last game.  That was an elementary call that was so freaking blatant that the refs swallowed the whistle because it was so obvious they were paralyzed by it like, "Duh, did that just happen?"

But, since it wasn't at a stoppage, we couldn't review it even if we wanted to.  If that can't be corrected, what's the point of replay?  What if that had happened on a deciding possession?  They won't stop the action mid-play and they won't go back several seconds/minutes of game time to replay things from that point.  If not, then what's the point of replay?

2. Official disrespect.  I phrase it that way because I do believe there has been an official edict that Trae gets too many calls.  Early in the season, refs got embarrassed by the calls Trae got.  They weren't incorrect calls.  The defender was literally running into the guy.  But they got so much attention that refs incorrectly snapped back and now won't call anything.  That's not right.  His continuation, on textbook continuation calls, is no longer awarded.  Why?  Because refs got in their feelings about the first month of the season.

Understand, I'm well aware the continuation rules have changed.  I'm not referring to what we used to know as continuation.  I'm referring to the 2021-version of the rule/process.

It's not right and, sadly, when we make the playoffs folks will write it off as, "Bwah, Trae's a different player when dey don't give him calls."  It's two different things.  Yes, he needs to be able to succeed without a parade to the line but also yes these are continuation fouls.

The other apparent byproduct of this 'official disrespect' is that teammates aren't given the benefit of the doubt on contact.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Jokic

I love him for his passing skills but I really hate his cotton swabbed big nose 👃🏾 goofy a$$ post up game. Reminds me of this big oaf on our high school team who did this in practice. Had to hack him just for his awkward weirdness. That being said, I still like him better than HONcic.

Years and years ago, I watched a lot of high school basketball.  If a high school PG brought the ball up the court the way some NBA guards do, they would get a whistle and a turnover.  They roll it over and carry it while they come up the floor.  But, nothing is ever called.  Why?  Would it delay the game too much?

:smug:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Years and years ago, I watched a lot of high school basketball.  If a high school PG brought the ball up the court the way some NBA guards do, they would get a whistle and a turnover.  They roll it over and carry it while they come up the floor.  But, nothing is ever called.  Why?  Would it delay the game too much?

:smug:

On a similar not, if Jokic decides to play point guard and bring it up I suggest Trae B lines and gets the steal. Ok I’m turning into a Jokic hater, again I love him a passer but his awkward lurchiness is annoying. @Sothron coke get your boy, no not KAT, the other one, mista big 👃🏾 Aka Okie Yokie b!tch! 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Spud2nique said:

On a similar not, if Jokic decides to play point guard and bring it up I suggest Trae B lines and gets the steal. Ok I’m turning into a Jokic hater, again I love him a passer but his awkward lurchiness is annoying. @Sothron coke get your boy, no not KAT, the other one, mista big 👃🏾 Aka Okie Yokie b!tch! 

Joker is the MVP this season. He's amazing. Can you imagine if he was on this team with Trae? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Joker is the MVP this season. He's amazing. Can you imagine if he was on this team with Trae? 

Ya I’ve mentioned that before that would be unfair, I’d love it.

8 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Devin Booker's got a better case.

I agree but let’s not get carried away 😂 

• Like 1

Why the Jokic hate? Just cause he's a slow, paunchy White guy? How about giving him credit for being a great player despite those limitations,  and challenging conventional norms about what a basketball player is "supposed to look like." And it's always White fans than love to criticize the appearance of White players. Does that win you woke points or something? Weird.

3 hours ago, kg01 said:

It was pretty hilarious when they switched that foul call from Jokic to Trae because he "initiated the contact".

If that's the standard, there should be a lot more offensive fouls called in every game.  Like almost every and-1 is because the offensive player "gets into" the defender's body.

Every scorer says, to avoid getting your shot blocked, you have to go into the defender not try to drift away from them.

Ah well.  All in all, I won't get too upset about the game.  Long road trip.  We still have a chance to end it well.

And in the realm of ATL v DEN tilts, I'd say this one smells more like the outlier.  We've faired well against them the last few years.  I hope DEN fans remember that 40+pt, 10ast Trae dropped in the Mile High City last time we were there.

I remember. Trae was tweeting trash talk right after the game..lol...When was the last time Trae dropped 40 btw? Seems like forever..

Edited by terrell

24 minutes ago, terrell said:

I remember. Trae was tweeting trash talk right after the game..lol...When was the last time Trae dropped 40 btw? Seems like forever..

And have you noticed we share the sugar better? 💯 facts. North and Re will come in and give you stats on why he should be Marbury, I prefer Zeke.