Trae or Capela, Hawk assist or board record

Spud2nique

Trae or Capela, Hawks assist or board record  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which Hawk record falls first, assists or rebounds

• Trae breaks Mookie’s 23 dimes
    • Capela breaks Willis’s 33 boards

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/15/2023 at 07:48 AM

2 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Trae takes Mookie’s Hawk record for assists and breaks 23 set in 1993.

Capela takes Willis’s Hawk record for rebounding and breaks 33 set in 1992.

Who ya got? 🤔 I think one will fall soon.

In an overtime type of game will take Capela and the boards first do think. Will be happy to see both records broken of course.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thomas said:

In an overtime type of game will take Capela and the boards first do think. Will be happy to see both records broken of course.

I’d say the Vegas odds would be something like:

Capela +180

Trae -210

I think Trae actually has a better shot to do the dime thing. Capela might but Willis set the bar too high at 33, having said that Kanter just got 30 the other night. Hoping both as well but thinking Trae will break that Mookie 23 faster. Should be a fun watch.

• Like 1

I say rebounds, just because its easier to get some cheapy's on the offensive glass than it is to depend on your teammates to make all their shots.

Trae's career high assists is 18. So his best output 78.2% of the record

Clint's career high rebounds is 26, 78.7% of the record.

Trae averages 9.5 assist, which is 42% of the record, Clint averages 14.2 rebs, which is 43% of the record.

So they both top out and average in a near exact range of reaching the records.

Until JC comes back, Clint has free range on the glass. Trae has to share assists with a multitude of guys who are playing great lately and sharing the ball.

I can see Clint grabbing 30 rebs before Trae gets 20 assists. But both records are probably safe from reach.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Trae's career high assists is 18. So his best output 78.2% of the record

Clint's career high rebounds is 26, 78.7% of the record.

So they both top out and average in a near exact range of reaching the records.

Thus making for a great poll question 😉 

But both records are probably safe from reach.

🤔 possibly but I can see one going down in the next year or two.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2021 at 3:13 AM, Spud2nique said:

Kanter just got 30 the other night

Stunning since most feel he couldn't defend against his Grandma in the paint. Really surprising he accomplished that one.

• Haha 1

• Premium Member

Good question...

Capela must compete with every player on the court for rebounds.  There's also no control over where the ball goes.  30+ rebounds is A LOT...  It's most certainly doable for Clint, but all the stars and what not will have to align.

The path to 23 dimes is easier for Trae being the focus of the offense and feeding everyone.  He has less control (they have to hit the shot), but more options.  On a night where they are denying him, and everyone is healthy, I can see this going down.

I got Trae breaking the assist record.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thomas said:

Stunning since most feel he couldn't defend against his Grandma in the paint. Really surprising he accomplished that one.

Well his rebounding is in a way like cherry 🍒 picking on offense when you don’t play D but leak out for a bucket. Dude Kanter just posts his big butt in and around the paint.

2 hours ago, capstone21 said:

I think neither ... there is a reason they have been in place for almost 30 years.

No doubt but in this day and age of padded stats, there’s a chance. Again Kanter got 30 boards and Lu Dort had 42 points the other night. Lu Dort not MJ! 

Also that cliche, records are meant to be broken. 🤷‍♀️ 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Thomas said:

He doesn’t defend but he rebounds like crazy - career average is 13 rebounds per 36.  Kind of like Kevin Love or DeMarcus Cousins.

• Like 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

No doubt but in this day and age of padded stats, there’s a chance. Again Kanter got 30 boards and Lu Dort had 42 points the other night. Lu Dort not MJ! 

Also that cliche, records are meant to be broken. 🤷‍♀️ 

That is a good point ... the D is a lot more lax ... if it would be one it would be the assists.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

Yup me too, agree with your points. Trae has more control of the assists than Cap the rebounds.

And let me say this for the record...  I'm not just saying Trae has a better chance, I think Trae IS going to do it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, HawkItus said:

I vote on Clint.  If we play a team with moderate shooting and a fast pace the rebounds will come fast and easy.

Facts.

And Clint gets double digit rebounds before halftime almost every game it seems. He is collects huge rebounding numbers so easily within a normal game flow. 

Trae usually has a double digit assist night less frequently with more moderate assist (7-9) games on a consistent basis. Trae's explosive stat outputs have slowed down a lot this season and I expect that trend to continue as the team around him gains confidence and chemistry. There may be a game where everyone gets hot and Trae so happens to be the only guy dishing the ball out, but its much more likely that he has a lot more hockey assists than actual assists with the way Nate has the offense moving the ball around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thomas said:

I don't know man. Think this Pacer's game is another example with Capela having he edge in my mind. Master Commander of the Boards. Another great game by Clint.

Yes, plus he really shoots up the rebound totals in a heartbeat, he went from 18 to 22 in less than 1 minute just by tipping the ball to himself over and over. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thomas said:

I don't know man. Think this Pacer's game is another example with Capela having he edge in my mind. Master Commander of the Boards. Another great game by Clint.

Definitely flirting with the 33 of Willis with 24 today and 26 from a 1/20 vs the Pistons where he also had 27 points. Both stand out as his best individual games in a Hawks uni.

So I did a little math 🧮,(on Sunday you’re welcome) just a little cross multiplication and with Clint getting 24 boards today would have been the equivalent of Trae getting 16.72 dimes in a game, rounding up to 17 dimes.

Trae’s career high in assists is 18 which came on 1/30/20 vs the Sixers.

Capela’s career high in boards by the way is that aforementioned 26 boards from earlier this year against the Pistons.

As @RedDawg#8 mentioned in a prior message in the thread, Capela’s 26 boards of Willis’s 33 is 78.7% while Trae’s 18 of Mookie’s 23 is 78.2%. 

Honestly, it’s super close and either can do it. Capela seems to have flirted with it a bit more lately, but Trae is one of those guys that can come out of nowhere and just get 24 or 25 dimes one night as well. A fun watch regardless for us Hawks fans no doubt.

I also think Trae had a better chance to get this record under Lloyd because he was dominating the ball a bit more. Nate has a flow and move offense with spreads the assist wealth a bit more.

Nevertheless, I’m still gonna roll with Trae and trust my initial instinct.

• Like 2