• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

You telling me that Bruno is so bad that he can't even get minutes with half the team out?

Wurider05

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, MarylandHawk said:

We saw him last year do some nice things on the court. The only way you can improve your game in the nba is to play and he has not had that opportunity this year. Granted some of that is on him because you know the bench is scrimmaging hard everyday and in normal practices and he must not be standing out there or Nate would be playing him over other third stringers. 

He showed promise in his limited time last season. Okongwu and Knight get lost on defense and struggle against NBA size and strength to get rebounds as Rookies. I don't remember Bruno having that problem last season. He was indecisive at times with the ball in his hands, but now he's indecisive X100. I also don't remember his hands being this bad. He's a different player.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, hawkman said:

He showed promise in his limited time last season. Okongwu and Knight get lost on defense and struggle against NBA size and strength to get rebounds as Rookies. I don't remember Bruno having that problem last season. He was indecisive at times with the ball in his hands, but now he's indecisive X100. I also don't remember his hands being this bad. He's a different player.

Totally different is right

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, MarylandHawk said:

We saw him last year do some nice things on the court. The only way you can improve your game in the nba is to play and he has not had that opportunity this year. Granted some of that is on him because you know the bench is scrimmaging hard everyday and in normal practices and he must not be standing out there or Nate would be playing him over other third stringers. 

You have to show something in practice. He started out with the same chances this year if not more than Okongwu and Knight yet those guys showed something while Bruno continued to bobble (pun intended) his chances.

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

When we were complaining about how bad our bigs were last season, Bruno wasn't in that conversation because he showed potential. What a difference a season makes. It has to be mental at this point. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Nate has flat out said that everyone will not play, and that his rotations normally go 9 deep.  The issue is that we're playing Solo as a big . . and not as a wing.  That throws everything out, from a rotation standpoint.

Knight is the guy that should be playing at the backup 4,   Solo should be the backup wing.   Instead, Solo plays every position except point guard and center.

In that Memphis game, Bruno should've definitely received some playing time against a big center like Valanciunas.  

Some how, some way, Solo has finagled his way into being a valuable piece in the rotation.  The only question now is this.  When Hunter and the rest of the injured guys come back, does Nate stay with his 9 - 10 man rotation?  And if he does, who does Solo get playing time over?

PG - Trae / Lou

G - Bogi / Huerter

F - Hunter / Solo

PF - Collins / Gallo / Solo

C - Capela / Okongwu

Does Cam sit?   Does Okongwu sit, and Gallo become the backup center?

Either way . . Solo is the team's utility knife. 

I have no problem sitting Solo as long as Cam is 100% healthy. He was playing through nagging injuries the last 10ish games.

• Premium Member

https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2019/5/30/18640565/bruno-fernando-atlanta-hawks-2019-nba-draft-scouting-report-maryland

The riddle that NBA teams will need to solve with Fernando is assessing his capacity to learn the NBA game. Can he grow his court awareness and play with discipline? If he brings as much mental effort to his focus and “coachability” as he does to his physical approach on the court, he could be a definite gem in this draft class.

I seem to recall ability to spread the floor as the swing skill more so than BBIQ, but so far the results in both categories are awfully poor.

The biggest mark in his favor as a shooter is the solid free throw shooting he provided the Terps. After shooting 74.0% as a freshman, he improved 77.9% as a sophomore on 4.3 attempts per game. As free throw shooting provides a strong correlation to upside as a shooter, many NBA teams will likely believe Fernando has some real upside as a shooter. Just how much upside he has in that area is tough to project.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Nate has flat out said that everyone will not play, and that his rotations normally go 9 deep.  The issue is that we're playing Solo as a big . . and not as a wing.  That throws everything out, from a rotation standpoint.

Knight is the guy that should be playing at the backup 4,   Solo should be the backup wing.   Instead, Solo plays every position except point guard and center.

In that Memphis game, Bruno should've definitely received some playing time against a big center like Valanciunas.  

Some how, some way, Solo has finagled his way into being a valuable piece in the rotation.  The only question now is this.  When Hunter and the rest of the injured guys come back, does Nate stay with his 9 - 10 man rotation?  And if he does, who does Solo get playing time over?

PG - Trae / Lou

G - Bogi / Huerter

F - Hunter / Solo

PF - Collins / Gallo / Solo

C - Capela / Okongwu

Does Cam sit?   Does Okongwu sit, and Gallo become the backup center?

Either way . . Solo is the team's utility knife. 

I don't see Solo getting any playing time if Hunter & Snell are fully healthy.  My question is can Hunter get back to playing well enough to unseat Snell as the Starting  SF?  Would it be advantageous to use Snell off the bench or have him to slide back in as the Starting 3?

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

This is much like the highlight reels you find for his sophomore season at UMD, but of course, we know that when he wasn't doing something that turned your head in his rookie year, he generally wasn't doing anything at all that made you notice him.

Few want to acknowledge it, it seems, because it's so easy to get cynical or jaded about this stuff, but my wife is from Philippines... I have a clue what it's like when you live in a country that isn't your home land, and experience the death of one of your family members with whom you're really close. For her it was her closest brother this time last year; for Bruno, of course, it was his mom--arguably the most special relationship of all for most of us.

Add to that situation that covid truncated the regular season, and that practice time for the last 12 months has been really limited, and that G-league for ATL hasn't even existed... and those are some pretty strong clues why Bruno might be particularly affected in his development.

This season, he simply hasn't gotten minutes, and he's really at a critical juncture to not.

A part of me wishes Schlenk had traded him or even just let him go--for the same reasons you see a dog chained in someone's back yard and you wish they'd at least give the pup away to someone who will actually invest some time and attention and treat him right.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sturt said:

This is much like the highlight reels you find for his sophomore season at UMD, but of course, we know that when he wasn't doing something that turned your head in his rookie year, he generally wasn't doing anything at all that made you notice him.

Few want to acknowledge it, it seems, because it's so easy to get cynical or jaded about this stuff, but my wife is from Philippines... I have a clue what it's like when you live in a country that isn't your home land, and experience the death of one of your family members with whom you're really close. For her it was her closest brother this time last year; for Bruno, of course, it was his mom--arguably the most special relationship of all for most of us.

Add to that situation that covid truncated the regular season, and that practice time for the last 12 months has been really limited, and that G-league for ATL hasn't even existed... and those are some pretty strong clues why Bruno might be particularly affected in his development.

This season, he simply hasn't gotten minutes, and he's really at a critical juncture to not.

A part of me wishes Schlenk had traded him or even just let him go--for the same reasons you see a dog chained in someone's back yard and you wish they'd at least give the pup away to someone who will actually invest some time and attention and treat him right.

He’s not gonna make it anywhere. That’s my professional hunch. The Pistons, the Wolves, the Rockets, it’s not a matter of playing time it’s a matter of not having NBA game. It’s like with Lloyd, if there was a rule that we could gift 🎁 him to another team as their head man, who would want that? Nobody. Sturt you need to face the fact that he’s gonna end up overseas or in another league but it won’t be the NBA for much longer. 

As some baseball player once said, "Half of playing this game is 90% mental."  Or something like this.  I sincerely believe that Bruno has a real mental problem.  Truth be told, if we, as a human, believe we can't, the possibility is great that we can't.  A wise man has said, "As we believe in our heart, so are we."

If the G League was available, Bruno would have been sent there to work his way out of his problem.  He may end up with another NBA team or he may go over seas.  He's not really as bad as he is with the Hawks right now.  Physically, he's probably ok.  Mentally, he is suffering.

Never be critical of a man's walk until you have walked a mile in his shoes.  

👨‍🌾

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gray Mule said:

If the G League was available, Bruno would have been sent there to work his way out of his problem. 

Exactly where he needed to be to try to work thru this. Successful or not at least there would be a much better opportunity for him to improve with some minutes there. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

Never be critical of a man's walk until you have walked a mile in his shoes.  

Wise stuff as always Gramps. I’m always super positive for the most part about guys on our team, but I can’t be all the time as far as talent otherwise I’d just be a pom pom waving :cheer:

Hoping for the best for Bruno and agree he’s lost confidence but also believe the NBA game needs a certain skill set which he doesn’t have, I suppose he can work to get it, but as of right now it’s just not there. He’s lost on D, cant even secure a ball on a rebound. He needs to stop power lifting or whatever he’s doing in the gym, he needs to work on other aspects of his game. 

18 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

There is a play in this video that actually highlights the slow response time of Bruno. Go to 1:10 mark.  Hunter slows down the penetrator with a bump, giving Bruno enough time to make the block.

We've been talking about Bruno's reaction time. At first glance this looks like a good block by Bruno but with scout's eyes realize that if the player isn't slowed by Hunter with the bump, sliding his feet to get in front for half a second, Bruno doesn't block this shot and is late to the play. He only saw it develop because of the extra time provided.

Back to a team keeping a player who is salary advantageous.  There is another benefit to Bruno on the roster. He is a legit big body and is a good practice player against the young'uns and Clint....just food for thought. He isn't causing drama or trauma so there is impetus to move him.  Many of these "bum" moves are made because the player is also a malcontent.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Bruno will redeem himself in a game this season,  Whether it be through injury or a bunch of people resting, he'll be instrumental in one of our wins.

Pray GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

I'm gonna pass the collection plate to support your avatar change.

• Haha 3