• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Collins Free agency - Potential suitors

thecampster

Good article today from Ben Rohrbach, mostly accurate.

https://sports.yahoo.com/looking-ahead-to-2021-nba-free-agency-when-it-starts-and-who-matters-175815597.html

See below.

Which teams have max cap space?

According to Spotrac, only three teams — the Knicks, Oklahoma City Thunder and San Antonio Spurs — are likely to create enough cap space to give Leonard the max for a 10-year veteran. The Knicks are expected to be major players in free agency, given their stunning ascendance to relevancy this season.

The Toronto Raptors, Charlotte Hornets and Miami Heat can clear enough to offer the $28.1 million max to Collins or another free agent with six years of experience or fewer. The Memphis Grizzlies are awfully close.

So per the writer,

Knicks (very possible destination here), OKC, SAS, Toronto, Charlotte, Miami.  Of those, I could see JC going to SAS, NY, Miami...maybe OKC depending on what else they do....he has no desire to tank any more.

• Moderators
57 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

I agree, but it's more than just "we have no other option so I guess we'll match." I think JC has proven he'll be the best player available so it's an easy decision to match.  In fact, it won't surprise me if the Hawks just up and offer him a deal that he signs before even going to the market.  

Exactly.   If there are this many teams willing to give that kind of money to JC then he'll be tradeable if we decide we don't want him in the future.   Which i doubt.    Absolutely worth the risk to sign him.   

I'm not totally believing these teams are going to offer him full max money though.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Atlantaholic said:

Collins has shown a lot of growth this year that isn't necessarily reflected in the stats, mainly because Capella right next to him is eating this year. I think he is worth his max atm, not because of what he is atm, but because he has improved every single year he has been in the league, and I think he will continue to do so. The duo of Collins and Cap has a chance to be one of the most dominant PF-C combinations the league has ever seen, and I don't think that's hyperbole. 

To me it's not worth for any of these guys.  It's strictly what the market value is.   Collins is the team leader though.   Sure someone else could step up but why mess with it when you have a duo like Collins/Cap.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

To me it's not worth for any of these guys.  It's strictly what the market value is.   Collins is the team leader though.   Sure someone else could step up but why mess with it when you have a duo like Collins/Cap.

I 'member a lotta folks chaffed at the idea of Jollins getting what Sabonis got from IND.  I wonder how folks feel now seeing that Sabonis doesn't seem to be progressing all that well.  I like Sabonis, in general, but I'm not sure he's all that much better than Jollins.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

I think we will match too, and I really hope we do. Beyond his skills, John is also a charismatic guy and we need players like that as we take the next step. I can see him being a good leader as he gets older. It’d make me a little sick to my stomach seeing him have success somewhere else after he was so positive off the court and put in so much work to improve his game (minus his suspension) during our rebuild. You know all of that losing takes a toll on some players. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I 'member a lotta folks chaffed at the idea of Jollins getting what Sabonis got from IND.  I wonder how folks feel now seeing that Sabonis doesn't seem to be progressing all that well.  I like Sabonis, in general, but I'm not sure he's all that much better than Jollins.

I like Sabonis but he ain't no all star to me.   somehow he managed to register a -31 in a game they lost to the Hawks by 12.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Next to Capela, JC is perfect. If you’re starting a franchise from scratch, I might go Sabonis, depends on who the other front court players would be on the team. It’s a lot closer than it was last year though that’s for sure.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Next to Capela, JC is perfect. If you’re starting a franchise from scratch, I might go Sabonis, depends on who the other front court players would be on the team. It’s a lot closer than it was last year though that’s for sure.

Agreed it's much closer.  This year has kinda soured me on Sabonis, for some reason.

Well, the 'reason' could be that I hate everybody so ...

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
43 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Nah, I've seen enough (hey, that sounds familiar).

He's a plodder.  Doesn't defend all that well.

I think what got some people excited about Sabonis was that he became a shooter and extended his range to the 3 point line and what he had over 'Jollins' (love this, lol) was his ability to handle the ball and make plays, be a passing big.

• Thanks 1