• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Knicks

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
44 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I don't know if it was discussed earlier in the thread but we made no attempts to get JC the ball in the post last night.  Don't know why.   And then no JC for the end of game and OT.   I felt like with Trae down we needed to run through him a bit. 

JC is still on minutes restriction.

3 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

I think there's a decent chance this will be the best shooting season of his career. His percentages on jump shots, threes and free throws are sooo much higher than they were throughout his entire career, it's hard to imagine we won't see some regression there. 

That's what I'm thinking as well.

*gasp* Are we finally on the same page?  Took all day. 😇

3 minutes ago, terrell said:

Or was it a Julius Randle restriction?

It was the same vs ORL so .....

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

I actually disagree with this. The threat of the lob to Cap forces centers to stay home and Trae has gotten soooooo many wide open  floater looks, it's kind of mind-boggling how he has struggled this year with that shot. 

Disagree.

AS GOOD AS HE WAS LAST NIGHT

Shooting 20% from the free throw stripe is not getting the job done.  Capela shot 5 free throws and made 1.  Line drives at the basket.  He doesn't shoot his mini hook shot like that.  It has a nice arch on it and drops right into the goal.  

Tell him.  That's your off season goal.  Learn to hit your free throws.  No line drives.  There is plenty of free space over the goal.  Use it.

:hi:

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Hmm.  That's weird.   What is the restriction?  28 minutes?

20 minutes his 1st game back, then 25. I believe he played the extra 2 mins in regulation since Trae was out.  Nothing in OT though.

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Disagree.

Well, the data is on my side. His FGA by from 3-10 feet, which is floater territory have gone up from 17% of his attempts to 24% which is a whopping 30% increase YoY. While his layup attempts have only decreased from 18-17%, so overall he has taken a lot more shots per game up close than last year. 

Also the Milwaukee game alone you can put together a five minute high-light reel of wide open, and I mean WIDE open floaters from 4 feet out that he just bricked. 

Edited by Atlantaholic
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Well, the data is on my side. His FGA by from 3-10 feet, which is floater territory have gone up from 17% of his attempts to 24% which is a whopping 30% increase YoY. While his layup attempts have decreased from 18-17%, so overall he has taken a lot more shots per game up close than last year. 

I don't dispute the attempts, I'm talking to specifically makes or not and having more bodies particularly with size in the the paint to disrupt and affect shots.

More hands and bodies to navigate that are in the paint:

image.png

• Like 2

• Premium Member

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I don't dispute the attempts, I'm talking to specifically makes or not and having more bodies particularly with size in the the paint to disrupt and affect shots.

The floater is the shot Trae takes when the opposing center stays home to defend the Lob/drive. The fact that shot has skyrocketed is pretty good evidence that centers are staying home a lot more often this year, which makes sense because if they come up to defend Trae the result is a dunk by Cap. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Atlantaholic said:

The floater is the shot Trae takes when the opposing center stays home to defend the Lob/drive. The fact that shot has skyrocketed is pretty good evidence that centers are staying home a lot more often this year, which makes sense because if they come up to defend Trae the result is a dunk by Cap. 

They are still in the paint vs out the paint.  They have less ground to cover to keep in contact with Capela as well as be close enough to affect Trae.

Let's just agree to disagree!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Let's just agree to disagree!

I’ve read both Atlantaholics and your posts, I’ve never been so split. Both good point and good debate here..

I’ve never agreed with 2 posters almost exactly evenly on a topic. It’s either 50/50 for me or 51/49.

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

So @JayBirdHawk you are essentially saying that Capela’s plug in the middle presence hinders Trae’s overall game and Holics says it helps it? I just want to understand it correctly, not sure if I have it right here. 

I responded specifically to @marco102 question regarding Trae missing floaters this year compared to last year and I gave 2 reasons why I thought that was: more bodies in the lane to disrupt timing etc and Trae's indecision whether to actually float or shoot - That is all.  Never said it hindered Trae's game.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I responded specifically to @marco102 question regarding Trae missing floaters this year compared to last year and I gave 2 reasons why I thought that was: more bodies in the lane to disrupt timing etc and Trae's indecision whether to actually float or shoot - That is all.  Never said it hindered Trae's game.

Ok I see. Thanks. Yes I agree with that take. I read into it incorrectly my mistake.

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

We've had guys miss half the season who didn't need to be carried off the court. Even if it turns out not to be that bad, he wont be playing for a while if its up to our medical staff.

Trae ain't having that. He will be back before the playoffs. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I agree with you in principle and I think possibly even more related is Trae deciding whether to brake check his defender or not -- one of the reasons I don't like that move.  But I agree he's trying to decide on 1 of 4 options in a single moment and I think it's making him less accurate.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Yes but the indecision alone whether to lob to Cap or take the floater hinders the floater and makes a player THINK about his move rather that have it be reactionary which is what basketball is all about. Having the option to lob I believe does mess with his mind on the floater itself. Plus, you get more congested in the paint which can weigh on a players mind as far as coming down on the feet of not only defenders but in this case his own teammates (Clint). Also, let’s face it, there have been games this season where Capela’s feet have injured not only the opposition but also our Hawks even before last night.

6 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Where was @AHF?  He was ... uh ... busy ...

giphy.webp?cid=ecf05e47l3uu3gr72jjjg9z8j

😂 on this note, I’d like to take the opportunity to let you all know that when I type COME it auto spell checks as COKE. It’s not because I type coke a lot. I don’t know why it does that, it’s quite annoying and apparently makes me look like a junky on squawk. 😔