• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Knicks

lethalweapon3

1 hour ago, Atlantaholic said:

I think there's a decent chance this will be the best shooting season of his career. His percentages on jump shots, threes and free throws are sooo much higher than they were throughout his entire career, it's hard to imagine we won't see some regression there. 

I don’t know.  I wouldn’t discount the kind of work that I’m sure Randle has been putting in the last year.  I heard a story of how Kobe’s passing really hit him hard, and he has seriously upped his training since.  Doing the “get in a workout before you go to the hotel when you get in town on a road trip” thing.  Sounds like he has a newfound sense of Mabma Mentality, and it’s clearly showing this year.

Just now, klharper said:

I don’t know.  I wouldn’t discount the kind of work that I’m sure Randle has been putting in the last year.  I heard a story of how Kobe’s passing really hit him hard, and he has seriously upped his training since.  Doing the “get in a workout before you go to the hotel when you get in town on a road trip” thing.  Sounds like he has a newfound sense of Mabma Mentality, and it’s clearly showing this year.

That being said... you’re probably right that there will be some regression next year once teams really sit down and analyze his film from this year.  Kind of like Steph after the magical 15-16 season he put up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Atlantaholic said:

I actually disagree with this. The threat of the lob to Cap forces centers to stay home and Trae has gotten soooooo many wide open  floater looks, it's kind of mind-boggling how he has struggled this year with that shot. 

Some of his misses have been tough shots. But I would say about half of missed floaters have been gimmes that he just missed. 

11 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

😂 on this note, I’d like to take the opportunity to let you all know that when I type COME it auto spell checks as COKE. It’s not because I type coke a lot. I don’t know why it does that, it’s quite annoying and apparently makes me look like a junky on squawk. 😔 

That is pretty random.  Kinda like how I used to get these weird banner ads when I came to the squawk.  It was always a bunch of ED ads and ads in support of the former president.

Disclaimer: No, I'm not trying to make a statement.  That's what used to come up for me for some reason.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I responded specifically to @marco102 question regarding Trae missing floaters this year compared to last year and I gave 2 reasons why I thought that was: more bodies in the lane to disrupt timing etc and Trae's indecision whether to actually float or shoot - That is all.  Never said it hindered Trae's game.

Whatever the reason, the missed floaters are very frustrating. If he could get near automatic with those, at least the ones that are reasonably makeable, that would be absolutely huge. How many nights have we seen Trae go 6-17, when he should be 10-17, if he just made his standard floaters.

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

Not sure where AHF is but when he reads these last 2 pages he’s gonna give squawk a standing O. 👏 

As painful as the game was to watch slip away with injury, this thread has been a great read.  People sharing ideas in a positive light,. Standing O for sure!

50 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Where was @AHF?  He was ... uh ... busy ...

giphy.webp?cid=ecf05e47l3uu3gr72jjjg9z8j

Make that dust from dry wall and you aren’t too far off the mark!  Lol

• Like 3

• Premium Member
37 minutes ago, klharper said:

That being said... you’re probably right that there will be some regression next year once teams really sit down and analyze his film from this year.  Kind of like Steph after the magical 15-16 season he put up.

There just is literally no precedent for a guy that had been a relatively poor shooter to just become outstanding after his 6th season in the league. Obviously that fact is a massive testament to Randle, not dissing him in any way, just as you said indicating that the probability of at least some regression seems very, very high. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I read an article about Randle in the offseason and he basically started training to get ready to resume the season and then never stopped.  He connected with his trainer and started going to local gyms to put up shots in the morning, doing multiple workouts a day (not including strength training).  Said he was working on basically everything, shooting, footwork, handles, etc.  He's apparently been hitting local gyms on away games as well and basically putting in a shitload of effort outside of what the team requires of him.  It's definitely awesome that it's paid off for him in a big way, love seeing guys work and reap the rewards of that.

Definitely, I mean it's a fantastic story, like I said incredible testament to Randle.

At the same time you have to consider the amount of work he's put in is not what's unprecedentant his results are though. Freaking Kobe who by all accounts was the hardest working player in the history of the game said he took like what 9,000 shots a day or something ridiculous like that and he couldn't get his percentages up even a little bit over his career. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Atlantaholic said:

Definitely, I mean it's a fantastic story, like I said incredible testament to Randle.

At the same time you have to consider the amount of work he's put in is not what's unprecedentant his results are though. Freaking Kobe who by all accounts was the hardest working player in the history of the game said he took like what 9,000 shots a day or something ridiculous like that and he couldn't get his percentages up even a little bit over his career. 

Yeah, I agree with you, just shows how much untapped potential he had.  A lot of times players just need to find the right situation as well, with teammates who complement them or a coach who can get the most of out them.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

As great as Capela has been, he is a lane clogger for Trae and his floater. There are just more bodies there for him to navigate to shoot over and around with the floater. Clint's man is now statiined in the lane right next to Cap. (Whereas with Len and  Dedmon on the perimeter had one less big in the lane)

Early in the season it looked like he was caught between a lob to Capela and actually shooting the floater (Still see that sometimes). Refs are now also allowing players to bump him from behind on the floater without calling fouls.

And it's because of what I cited early in the year.  Capela and Collins set weak screens, because they're rolling hard and looking for lobs.

That's not a bad thing on some possessions.  But if that's done on every possession, it does clog the lane somewhat for Trae.   

The next evolution for Trae, is to become the master of the 15 foot jumper, once he turns the corner.   He's take that shot more under Nate, than he did under LP.   Dennis Schröder, ironically, started to develop this shot in his last year with the Hawks, and has really developed it while in OKC and Los Angeles.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, AHF said:

As painful as the game was to watch slip away with injury, this thread has been a great read.  People sharing ideas in a positive light,. Standing O for sure!

Make that dust from dry wall and you aren’t too far off the mark!  Lol

Oh you set out on the veranda while the 'help' worked to expand your guest house?  Hope they didn't get any dust in your ice tea.

200.webp?cid=ecf05e47xdi28rf7s3vp067yq2a

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Julius Randle is why u don't trade Cam Reddish

• Like 3

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Yup, Bogi and Solo did a better job on him. Collins just couldn't stay in front of him. 

I think Bonkers is saying Cam can develop into a really good player over time, so we should not throw in the towel on him now

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

That is pretty random.  Kinda like how I used to get these weird banner ads when I came to the squawk.  It was always a bunch of ED ads and ads in support of the former president.

Disclaimer: No, I'm not trying to make a statement.  That's what used to come up for me for some reason.

I don’t get those anymore but if you do, please forward them... 😞 I mean, just to see what they look like now..

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Growth is not always linear.

My wife is on line 1... please go over this with her 😞 Also, why laundry 🧺 tends to shrink (water makes things shrink).

Aye @kg01 how’s the 🩲 speedo game looking, I did another 6.15 mile hike yesterday, I still wanna keep half a gut 😃 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kg01 said:

Are you saying you were "Soft" on "politics"?  😉

• Haha 3