• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Bucks -- ECF GAME 2

lethalweapon3

• Moderators
3 hours ago, GameTime said:

He definitely got more comfortable as the game went along.  Probably a combination of getting more feel for the game after being off so long and the Bucks lessening their intensity.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Diesel said:

I gotta give credit to coach Bud.  He recognized that Trae stays there posing after shooting a three.  He also recognized that we would put up a half ass wall for Giannis that would break down to more man on man play.   But this wasn't all coaching. 

They beat us to 50/50 balls.  They got offensive rebounds.  They out hustled us.   We gave up a lot of turnovers. 

We will be better. 

CLEAN THIS UP!

• Like 3

They basically sold out to stop trae , guys would slump off of there player and with so many hands.it.firced.trae.to think and that was it, they are going to have to slow down and execute the offence and spread it out, either way we gotta get the other guys going, we had wider open shots in this game more than any other and couldn't hit shit, maybe we just.dont have that.good of shooters as we think.  Maybe they were nervous because we were getting waxed but, they aren't gonna let trea play hero ball anymore .

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Trae did not make good reads pretty much all game.  So many times Collins or Heurter were open behind the arc but he was forcing plays inside whether it be passes(turnovers) to Capela or forcing shots up.  He needs to see where the help is rotating and make the pass

• Like 1

• Premium Member

My observations without having read the last 20 or so pages and even though ya'll saw the same things I saw...  We came out cocky and we lost the game between the 1st and 2nd quarter.  Milwaukee hit shots in pivotal moments early on and they were scorching hot during that stretch when we were mostly cold.

We lost that game in the worst way possible.  Not to our detriment, but to the benefit of the Bucks. They looked pedestrian and vulnerable after Game 1 and that post game clip from Bud sounded weak and worried.  Having decimated us, their confidence is back.  Even a competitive Game 2 loss would've had them shaken coming into our Arena.  We need a statement win in Game 3.

As for adjustments...we have to pick our poison.  We can't let Giannis basically live in the lane and let the rest of the Bucks go off too.  I think we play Milwaukee like we did NY/Randle and put it on Giannis to beat us.  Embiid is different because he can just score at will from anywhere.  You let him get his because he's going to get it whether you expend the energy trying to contain him or not. 

Giannis is only good if he gets momentum going towards the basket AND gets below the FT line.  It's automatic...but he's not skilled like Embiid.  Like prime Dwight Howard, it's the shooters that are making Giannis better...not the other way around.  Focus on the supporting cast, get more physical, and force their star beat us.  I don't think he can.

Seriously:

• Like 3

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, Wretch said:

Giannis is only good if he gets momentum going towards the basket AND gets below the FT line.  It's automatic...but he's not skilled like Embiid.  Like prime Dwight Howard, it's the shooters that are making Giannis better...not the other way around.  Focus on the supporting cast, get more physical, and force their star beat us.  I don't think he can.

I agree with you on Giannis.  The issue is we literally have to double him.  He's so elite at the one thing he's good at you can't play him 1on1 which will always leave shooters open.  At least with Embiid you have time to make decisions and feint the double, or go for strips when he posts up, etc.  Giannis is just running at you and you either double him or get cooked.

The one thing no one has talked much about is how his game is affected more by the refs than anyone in the league.  Sometimes they let him bulldoze dudes, sometimes not.  Sometimes it's easy to draw charges, sometimes he runs over guys with no blocking or charge call.  He shouldered JC when backing down last night so hard I thought he bruised JC's chest and then they whistled JC for the foul.  IMO the refs are the biggest reason he can go super hot or super cold game to game.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JeffS17 said:

I agree with you on Giannis.  The issue is we literally have to double him.  He's so elite at the one thing he's good at you can't play him 1on1 which will always leave shooters open.  At least with Embiid you have time to make decisions and feint the double, or go for strips when he posts up, etc.  Giannis is just running at you and you either double him or get cooked.

The one thing no one has talked much about is how his game is affected more by the refs than anyone in the league.  Sometimes they let him bulldoze dudes, sometimes not.  Sometimes it's easy to draw charges, sometimes he runs over guys with no blocking or charge call.  He shouldered JC when backing down last night so hard I thought he bruised JC's chest and then they whistled JC for the foul.  IMO the refs are the biggest reason he can go super hot or super cold game to game.

Yep, Foster controlled the game 

• Like 4

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

Yep, Foster controlled the game 

Well.......lol I mean, it is what it is. There's no point in focusing on it for me.  Especially when we have proven that we can beat the refs too.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Im not blaming this one of refs. They were just better. 

100%.  If this game was reffed the same way and we lost by 4, maybe there's a discussion (still not a useful or productive one) but we got completely embarrassed.  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Diesel said:

I gotta give credit to coach Bud.  He recognized that Trae stays there posing after shooting a three.  He also recognized that we would put up a half ass wall for Giannis that would break down to more man on man play.   But this wasn't all coaching. 

They beat us to 50/50 balls.  They got offensive rebounds.  They out hustled us.   We gave up a lot of turnovers. 

We will be better. 

Its being ignored, with the exception of a very few comments like what you posted, that Trae is more considered about being a diva at times, then actually playing the game.  I lost count of the number of free buckets the Bucks got because Trae would stand there after missing threes and leaving it up to his teammates to drop back and try and stop the outlet passes to Trae's man who just takes off to the rim.  It took the playoffs for me to come around to liking Trae, and he showed that he CAN adapt to coaching.  The others feed off him.  If he plays nonchalant, they play nonchalant.  

Another thing, Nate said Trae calls the majority of the plays.  I saw too many forced attempts at getting the ball to Capela and Collins with passes from the point of attack,  to the rim, in the middle of the Bucks defense. The Bucks have them alley hoop passes figured out. Nate needs to run more plays that get the others involved with matchups.

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Like 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Wretch said:

This is the 2nd biggest concern for me and it goes hand in hand with the missed open shots.  If they're opting to protect against the lob, we have to recognize it and take advantage instead of forcing it.  Though, as we've been beating this drum to death, guys have to hit open shots. Man, if we could just hit open shots, there might not have been any drama at all in any series so far.

+100 this. The poor shooting made the 76ers series longer than it should've been. The missed open shots really bit them last night. Add in the turnovers and poor transition/perimeter defense and that's how they got ran out of the building. 

• Like 1