• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

NBA playoffs 2021: Trae Young, Nate McMillan and the pact that sparked the Atlanta Hawks' postseason run

Atlantaholic

5 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Great article.   I disagree though that Nate singlehandedly transformed him.   It was all there and Nate polished it up.  Perfected what Trae was doing to make it winning basketball.   

We can agree to disagree.  Nate tore down and rebuilt.  I wouldn’t trash the kid for my health he was horrendous in too many areas.  Nate and Bogi’s health to a much lesser extent were the only changed variables that flipped Trae from a player who got thoroughly outplayed by guys like DJ Augustine, Marcus Smart, Kendrick Nunn, and Jalen Brunson to a player who can outplay MVP candidates throughout a series.  That’s two totally opposite ends of the impact spectrum.  If not for Nate we would've been in the lottery and most would be blaming everyone except Trae because 29 and 10.  

Reality is any coach who can’t demand and force his PG to defend and foster team chemistry ain’t worth a sh*t, here’s looking at you Lloyd.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

Listening again to that LP answer to Kirshner in the clip Sturt posted today helps me understand why the players tuned him out.  And I agree Nate played a big role in Trae changing some subtle things that have led to a huge difference in outcome.  Trae even said himself in that espn Jackie article today about how he is getting along with teammates better (a quote from Trae’s dad)

2 hours ago, Jdawgflow said:

Listening again to that LP answer to Kirshner in the clip Sturt posted today helps me understand why the players tuned him out.  And I agree Nate played a big role in Trae changing some subtle things that have led to a huge difference in outcome.  Trae even said himself in that espn Jackie article today about how he is getting along with teammates better (a quote from Trae’s dad)

Winning generally does that though. 

7 hours ago, hawkman said:

It's obvious nobody really watched the Hawks until this postseason.

All they know is Trae is an inefficient ball hog looking for stats over wins. Just a tad off they are.

• Like 4

On 6/25/2021 at 3:01 PM, Jdawgflow said:

I would add “has the heart of Iverson”

Yeah the more I think of it its pretty accurate. Minus the dunking early in Iverson's career.

Trae is Iverson if you swap the athleticism for Nash's passing ability 

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 6/26/2021 at 9:58 PM, RedDawg#8 said:

Yeah the more I think of it its pretty accurate. Minus the dunking early in Iverson's career.

Trae is Iverson if you swap the athleticism for Nash's passing ability 

I missed this but I think Iverson was a ball hog who was a very difficult person to build around.  Iverson was a fearless competitor (on game day) but wanted the offense to be all about him to the detriment of other players on the roster.  It was why Larry Brown ultimately surrounded him with a bunch of defenders who didn't need the ball and who would be ok being passed over if they were wide open to watch Iverson take a high degree of difficulty shot on his way to putting up an inefficient 30 points on a good night.  

So I definitely do not compare Trae with Iverson at all except to say that both are confident gamers.  Trae involves his teammates, has no problem with other guys going off, and scores at a .574% TS% compared to Iverson's .518% TS%.  I'll take Trae every day of the week over Iverson and twice on Sundays.