• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Historical Hawks question

Diesel

• Premium Member

Bud's Hawks = 73% Win %

Nate's Hawks = 71% Win%

Who would have thought that Korver, Sap, and DMC in place of JJ, Crawford, & Smoove would equate to the best win% in Hawks History?

This part is just for grins...

Drew's Hawks = 53% Win%

LP's Hawks = 41% Win%

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Bud's Hawks = 73% Win %

Nate's Hawks = 71% Win%

Who would have thought that Korver, Sap, and DMC in place of JJ, Crawford, & Smoove would equate to the best win% in Hawks History?

Drew's Hawks = 53% Win%

LP's Hawks = 41% Win%

It was kinda flukey but Al went to three straight ECFs. If you build around Al and not JJ or Smoove, you will have a better outcome. 

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

How about this, this years Hawks team just played 18 playoff games. 10-8 record overall, in one single run.

It took the Woody era Hawks 3 trips and 4 series before they won that many playoff games.

It took Buds Hawks 2 trips to get to that number .

Our young Hawks just got more playoff experience and success than some players had in their entire Hawks career.

That is huge for this group. They are way ahead of schedule.

More surprising is that Nate's Hawks won 30% more than LP's Hawks did.  BUT... It was the same team.  I tried to pass it off as:

1.  Playing teams that had shut it down for the season?  - But 30%

2.  Players coming off of Injuries? - I think Nate had more injured players than LP Had. 

3.  Easier Schedule?   Nah.

The Bottom line is that Nate was just a better coach.   Same team and I don't think Nate brought in any new assistants.   He just was able to reach and teach better than LP could. 

Naysayers will say that our playoff run was just opportune time to play against injured teams.  While the truth is that there were no teams we played that were more injured than ours.   Had we not been injured, I think we would have probably gone to the finals and possibly won it. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 7/9/2021 at 8:35 PM, Diesel said:

Bud's Hawks = 73% Win %

Nate's Hawks = 71% Win%

Drew's Hawks = 53% Win%

LP's Hawks = 41% Win%

On 7/10/2021 at 8:11 AM, bird_dirt said:

TBH I didn't realize LP's win % would be that high.

It is because we are only looking a limited windows in their tenures.

In 2014-15, Bud's Hawks won 73% of regular season games and 50% of playoff games.  Bud won 47% of the rest of his games as head coach of the Hawks.

In 2020-21, Nate's Hawks won 71% of regular season games and 56% of playoff games.

Pierce won 41% of games this year but 34% overall.

Drew won 54% - 60% depending on the season and won 36% of his post-season games.

On 7/9/2021 at 8:35 PM, Diesel said:

Bud's Hawks = 73% Win %

Nate's Hawks = 71% Win%

Drew's Hawks = 53% Win%

LP's Hawks = 41% Win%

Chemistry, fit and grit can be greater than skills when skills don't come with those intangibles. Ball movement beats Iso Joe but imagine if the JJ, Crawford, Smoove crew played the team basketball and defense of the Korver, Sap and DMC group. It was more Josh you correct our mistakes on defense while we show off our one on one skills. When Josh got in that act from the perimeter it was over.

On 7/9/2021 at 8:47 PM, NBASupes said:

It was kinda flukey but Al went to three straight ECFs. If you build around Al and not JJ or Smoove, you will have a better outcome. 

When Al Horford was out a season with a shoulder contusion or something like that Josh dominated in the paint all yr. Josh was more durable and didn't miss almost 2 full seasons. We still made it to the playoffs during Horfords absence. I don't think Horford was key enough for us to build around but a solid piece until his last 2 years here. He turned from solid to doe. I still laugh at the mediocre numbers he put up on the Celtics and was still celebrated. That's just how much hate Atlanta gets but the narrative is finally changing.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
30 minutes ago, sillent said:

Chemistry, fit and grit can be greater than skills when skills don't come with those intangibles. Ball movement beats Iso Joe but imagine if the JJ, Crawford, Smoove crew played the team basketball and defense of the Korver, Sap and DMC group. It was more Josh you correct our mistakes on defense while we show off our one on one skills. When Josh got in that act from the perimeter it was over.

Josh was just a broken player.   He wanted to be a stretch 4... but he didn't have the skillset. 

3 hours ago, sillent said:

When Al Horford was out a season with a shoulder contusion or something like that Josh dominated in the paint all yr. Josh was more durable and didn't miss almost 2 full seasons. We still made it to the playoffs during Horfords absence. I don't think Horford was key enough for us to build around but a solid piece until his last 2 years here. He turned from solid to doe. I still laugh at the mediocre numbers he put up on the Celtics and was still celebrated. That's just how much hate Atlanta gets but the narrative is finally changing.

Did we win anything tho? We made the playoffs winning 36 games with Sap but did we make it to the 2nd round or ECF 

On 7/9/2021 at 8:47 PM, NBASupes said:

I thought we technically did build around Al, he was the last one standing of that group. He was the only one to make it to the Bud era. The Bud Hawks definitely fit his style of play. He had a 4 year run as the top guy on the team. After his injuries he lost his will to fight for rebounds. Millsap was the more assertive 2-way player. Al was content to be a stretch 4 and Millsap bang down low.

• Like 1