• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks Salary Cap Discussions

AHF

Just now, thecampster said:

I should have never mentioned this....If you use any of the MLE you can't renounce the rest. The full MLE will count against your cap.  Salary + MLE amount subtracted from LT threshold is your BAE = $3.7 million or less depending on how close to the threshold you are.

My assertion of only having $3 million is based on salaries so far. for the purposes of not hamstringing yourself with a hard cap for the year, you'd use all of the MLE before touching the BAE.  Just say OKAY and don't mention the BAE again until we have 14 rostered, 2 two ways and are down to our last signing.

I agree.  I "hid" my previous post as it's more complicated than just the raw $ numbers.  

5 minutes ago, sturt said:

A 3-way with CHI and MIN that sends out Gallo conceivably might yield Thaddeus Young from CHI ($14m) and Culver from MIN ($6m).

But I don't pretend to be able to figure out what CHI gets out of it.

Chicago needs Thad Young. No one needs Culver

Okay let me explain this.  The BAE is a last ditch salary effort. If there weren't rules, teams could apply the BAE first then use their MLE to exceed the cap later. Using the BAE establishes your hard cap for the year. 

Therefore, using the BAE wipes any remaining MLE...its considered used because you can't use it to push the salary higher.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Chicago needs Thad Young.

Have read some speculation that that's a salary they'd like to clear.... but it was just that, and maybe nothing to it.

• Like 1

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Considering how low a 3 year max is, we need to sign Sharife Cooper to a 3 year min deal.

That is my way of thinking as well.  I just think too highly of him to think we are going to put him on a two-way deal and see him become a RFA in 1 or 2 years.  With us having traded for a 29 year old, in-his-prime backup PG, I feel very good about not needing another vet there given that we would have basically three options beyond that:  (1) cover with our wings; (2) Mays steps up; (3) Coop steps up.  It will likely come down to how TS assesses Sharife.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

I think they reward Skylar for a job well done. I just do.

And there's really no boogie man that's going to steal Cooper away from us if he proves to be all-that. He's under our control, regardless. Glass half-full, he ends up with something similar to this appearing on his Spotrac page in three years...

2021-08-03_12-02-25.png

Having said that...

2021-08-03_12-05-54.png

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Update... some nominal tweaking still possibly needed to the JC and Dieng numbers, but close enough to say Schlenk is in a good position to spend some money if he wants to for LouWill or similar.

But, short of a Gallo trade that can't be totally ruled out, we've seemingly closed up shop on the bigs slots in the depth chart grid, and you can either grab another guard of some kind. And of course the other still-not-completely-off-the-table scenario is that Cam would be dealt.

As for filling the other 2-way, if we don't learn of something on that front today, count me as persuaded that Schlenk is persuaded to just wait and see if there's someone who stands out in summer league, either on our own SL roster or someone else's who isn't under contract with anyone.

2021-08-04_09-52-04.png

• Thanks 2

Let's pencil John in at a flat 25 mil per season. We'll adjust once we know the salary structure on his deal.

Signed/offered  
John Collins $25,000,000
Danilo Gallinari $20,475,000
Bogdan Bogdanovic $18,000,000
Clint Capela $17,103,448
Delon Wright $8,526,316
Trae Young $8,326,471
De'Andre Hunter $7,775,400
Onyeka Okongwu $6,104,280
Cam Reddish $4,670,160
Kevin Huerter $4,253,357
Gorgui Dieng $4,000,000
Jalen Johnson $2,659,680
Solomon Hill $1,669,178
Skylar Mays $1,489,065

Total (14 under contract):   $5.9 MLE left. $130,052,355

Holds  
Lou Williams $15,200,000

Unsigned/waiting  
Shariffe Cooper  

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member

Hold up.

Could Schlenk not sign, in theory, a Justise Winslow (SF but who like Hill can give you SG and PF minutes) @ $4.8m, and then LouWill as a minimum?

Thus, making for an arguably-exceptionally potent back-end bench of

• LouWill
  • Winslow
  • Hill
  • Johnson
  • Dieng

(...and/but sending Cooper and Mays to the 2-way column)?

2 minutes ago, sturt said:

Hold up.

Could Schlenk not sign, in theory, a Justise Winslow (SF but who like Hill can give you SG and PF minutes) @ $4.8m, and then LouWill as a minimum?

Thus, making for an arguably-exceptionally potent back-end bench of

• LouWill
  • Winslow
  • Hill
  • Johnson
  • Dieng

(...and/but sending Cooper and Mays to the 2-way column)?

If the Mays deal is a 2 way and the Cooper deal is a 2 way then yes, there would be a roster spot and yes they could sign anyone for the full 5.9 mil and then Lou Will for the vet minimum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, thecampster said:

for the full 5.9 mil

If it's as I think I understand that you really want to avoid going into luxury tax for multiple years (?), seems we'd probably try to stick to $4.8m if we could... (Tony, see, I'm just trying to save you a buck, man 😄  ) .

• Premium Member

This is the route I'm interested in for Sharife...

2021-08-03_12-02-25.png

It's all hands on deck for 21-22 to win a championship. Give me a vet in every cell of the 3rd column of the depth chart grid if I can get it.

If the kid earns his way on to the 15-man at some point, great. But let him earn it. Maybe he will. But it's a viable question. Not everyone comes into the NBA w/o a reliable shot, and develops enough of one to stick.

2 minutes ago, sturt said:

If it's as I think I understand that you really want to avoid going into luxury tax for multiple years (?), seems we'd probably try to stick to $4.8m if we could... (Tony, see, I'm just trying to save you a buck, man. 😄 .

Lets not get into the weeds on the difference between the Threshold and Tax payments. We're fine if we use it all either way.

Multi year only hurts when you get 20 mil+ over.

Amount over tax threshold Standard tax per excess dollar Repeat offender tax per excess dollar
$5 million to $9,999,999 $1.75 $2.75
$10 million to $14,999,999 $2.50 $3.50
$15 million to $19,999,999 $3.25 $4.25
Over $20 million $3.75 + $0.50 per $5 million $4.75 + $0.50 per $5 million

See the bolded. Below 10 million its a few million bucks.  Over 20 million you're spending $5 for every $1 of salary in tax with repeater really adding up and cutting into profits (if any).

• Thanks 3