• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks draft pick grades (Jalen & Sharife)

Spud2nique

Hawks draft pick grades  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Jalen Johnson

2. 2. Sharife Cooper

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/19/2021 at 12:14 PM

This is probably one of the best drafts for Travis, first time he gets outstanding value at 2nd round. As usual he got good talent at 1st rd, Jalen Jones is a good backup F, capable of playing PF position, an insurance for Collins and Gallo, a point forward that is a solid defender but needs to learn shooting, until he learns that he is probably having a hard time finding minutes.

Cooper is the steal of the draft, a dynamic PG with some size issues but is fantastic at passing and shooting. I thought he was worse defender that he really is but he could be decent after all.

As a summary, really good value where we pick, more talent and depth for future, the only disadvantage is that although they fill position needs they do not fit much our roster but is true that we don’t need inmediate contribution from them, we are deep. I have the feeling that Cooper might finish with bigger role than expected, really eager to see some summer league action.

• Like 4

• Premium Member

I gave A and B respectively because I couldn't give Cooper an A-. 

Some other draft grades from around the media landscape:

Atlanta Hawks

20. Jalen Johnson (6-9, 220), SF, Duke
48. Sharife Cooper (6-1, 180), PG, Auburn

The Hawks made a surprise run to the Eastern Conference finals on the strength of their recent draft picks, so they have earned the right to take a big swing at No. 20. Johnson might have been a top-10 pick had he not abruptly left Duke 13 games into his freshman senior (after leaving IMG Academy midway through his senior year of high school). If he pans out as a 6-foot-9 playmaker, he could be a home run for the Hawks.

A-

20. Atlanta Hawks: SF Jalen Johnson, Duke

Everybody has used different phrases for how Johnson's Duke tenure ended. "Quit" is what it was. That's not a good look. But I can't overstate this enough: We are now at the 20th pick in the draft. What are you going to do? Take the big swing on the player who might have some issues, the same way Denver did with Michael Porter Jr. a couple years ago. If you can tap into Johnson's talent, you're going to be very happy. Grade: A+

Bleacher report:

Johnson’s ceiling is higher than this draft slot. Between his limited track record and holes in his game, though, this feels about right.

When he gets out in transition, his game is very easy on the eyes. The 6’9” forward can grab rebounds and go, flashing a drool-worthy blend of handles, vision and finishing.

But when the game slows down, so does his impact. He needs plenty of polish to find a half-court niche. His shooting is erratic, he shies away from contact, and his defensive motor comes and goes.

He’s worth a shot here for the Hawks, who have enough depth to take a risk.

Grade: B+

Sporting news:

20. Atlanta Hawks — Jalen Johnson, Duke

He departed IMG Academy while in high school and left Duke with roughly half the college season still remaining. This wasn't the dreamiest Duke basketball season ever, but not many simply walk away from "The Brotherhood," as Duke calls its alumni base. I cannot shake the words of the NBA personnel executive who told me about Johnson: "This guy has created issues at his last two stops. If that doesn't give you pause, I don't know what will." 

The Hawks have a winning culture now, and a rookie is not going to destroy that. He has an NBA body with his strength and length. But he struggles as a shooter and, as we said, has struggled with commitment.

1. Grade: B-
    3. SBnation:

20. Atlanta Hawks - Jalen Johnson, F, Duke

Johnson was supposed to be the next one-and-done star at Duke before becoming a lottery pick. Instead, the Blue Devils turned in an uncharacteristically poor season and Johnson left the program midway through the year to focus on the draft. While his freshman season was a disappointment, there are few players in this class more talented than Johnson.

A 6’9 forward with huge hands and long arms, Johnson is a dynamic threat in the open floor. He loves playing with the ball in his hands and utilizing his passing ability to find shooters around the arc. While he has an impressive combination of strength and explosion, he’s also a stiff athlete who often struggles to get past bigger, slower defenders on the perimeter. Johnson’s biggest weakness is his three-point shot. He won’t be expected to space the floor for Atlanta early in his career. At this point in the draft, however, Johnson feels like a great upside bet because of his size, speed, power, and passing.

Grade: A

• Like 1
      • Thanks 3

• Premium Member

How is shooting 43% from 3 struggling with his shot? I'm calling it right now...The other gms in the league blew it again. Schlenk should never do these guys a favor by even consider trading up ever again in drafts in the future.

• Like 2
      • Thanks 1