• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jalen Johnson may be better than De'Andre Hunter and Cam Reddish

TheNorthCydeRises

On 8/24/2023 at 8:05 AM, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Yes ... but that's only because none of us believe Hunter will take that next step.

So it has to be JJ.

It could also be asked why not Okongwu?  

I actually think our upcoming season is more about the impact of Snyder.  Does he unlock some things on offense and defense?  It's a new scheme on both sides of the court.    

4 hours ago, AHF said:

I think you’ll enjoy JJ a lot more if you aren’t blaming management’s love of him

I hope 🤞🏿 I enjoy any of him and not yelling at you guys about not wanting upgrade. Again not saying there was a deal to be had, but that’s where executives need to make their money. Landry needed to make things happen so we wouldn’t be forced into throwing JJ into the fire, I mean even the new 2K updates have him starting for us which I quickly sub in Bey and just run Bey and Hunter.

In my mind though, 

Capela, Hunter and JJ need to go to get an upgrade. I’ll even throw in Bufkin. No way there wasn’t a deal to be had with all those assets. Landry may have no made enough calls 📞 who knows. 

With Landry, if he plays it too safe his a$$ might still get canned for LACK of moves. Some GM’s stand pat to not get fired.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

I hope 🤞🏿 I enjoy any of him and not yelling at you guys about not wanting upgrade. Again not saying there was a deal to be had, but that’s where executives need to make their money. Landry needed to make things happen so we wouldn’t be forced into throwing JJ into the fire, I mean even the new 2K updates have him starting for us which I quickly sub in Bey and just run Bey and Hunter.

In my mind though, 

Capela, Hunter and JJ need to go to get an upgrade. I’ll even throw in Bufkin. No way there wasn’t a deal to be had with all those assets. Landry may have no made enough calls 📞 who knows. 

With Landry, if he plays it too safe his a$$ might still get canned for LACK of moves. Some GM’s stand pat to not get fired.

If we don't make a move, I think we'll see OO and JJ playing a lot of minutes together and Cap and Bey playing a lot of minutes together.  At least that makes sense to me because their strengths and weaknesses compliment one another fairly well (especially with CC needing a perimeter shooter on the court with him).   I'm all in favor of an upgrade to the roster but our bet wasn't about that and was instead about the confidence that our owner would pay the tax that would come with that kind of upgrade.  

In the meantime, keep pining for Siakam but enjoy the development and successes of JJ.  If we don't make a big move, his progression will be very important and if we are still in the mix for a big move every bit of success he has will enhance his value and make that big trade more likely.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, thecampster said:

This article kind of confuses me.  It is explicitly premised on the assumption that we don't make another deal (i.e., this is an article about what we should do if we don't make a trade).  And then it goes on to say we need to "take a risk" by giving JJ and Bey a chance to succeed at PF.  Is there a reaction to this other than "duh"?  Like who else would we be looking at to play the minutes at PF other than Bey and JJ?  I guess in theory you could say Hunter should get some minutes there or that OO should get some minutes there but this is beyond obvious that moving JC means more minutes for both JJ and Bey at PF and significantly more time there between the two of them.

• Like 1

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Plainview1981 said:

Bey at PF? Lol. Geez

This roster looks like shit.

I see Bey/CC and JJ/OO as natural pairings.  CC is strong in rebounding where Bey is weak and Bey provides the floor spacing much better than JC ever did that CC needs so badly as he hangs around near the rim.  OO and JJ were very good together last year.  Want to see them play more minutes together against opposing starters and see how they hold up.

When I look at the roster, I think we look to be strong at PG, SG, and C.  We have risk at SF and PF.  Definitely not a bad roster but whether we'll be significantly better than .500 is something the team will have to prove.  For me, Quin Snyder is the biggest reason to be optimistic about an improved overall record.

1 hour ago, AHF said:

This article kind of confuses me.  It is explicitly premised on the assumption that we don't make another deal (i.e., this is an article about what we should do if we don't make a trade).  And then it goes on to say we need to "take a risk" by giving JJ and Bey a chance to succeed at PF.  Is there a reaction to this other than "duh"?  Like who else would we be looking at to play the minutes at PF other than Bey and JJ?  I guess in theory you could say Hunter should get some minutes there or that OO should get some minutes there but this is beyond obvious that moving JC means more minutes for both JJ and Bey at PF and significantly more time there between the two of them.

It's a momentum article. Makes the fanbase familiar with the eventual starter.

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, thecampster said:

It's a momentum article. Makes the fanbase familiar with the eventual starter.

I'd say they should just do an article on JJ and Bey talking about the larger roles they are assuming.  Pitching it as "Snyder is urged to take risk on JJ/Bey" is silly.   What risk are they talking about?  That is the literal headline to the article and it is non-sensical.

Hawks HC urged to take ‘risk’ on former 1st-round pick

With JC gone, you have to give more time to JJ and Bey by default which is what the article advocates for.  There is no choice in the matter let alone a "debate" or anything unless you are like Spud and think that Mo will take those minutes.  If the article was advocating for giving Mo the minutes over JJ and Bey that would make sense as a "risk" and as something non-obvious.  But the article doesn't even mention options other than those two (I think for largely good reason), so I'm still classifying this as a "duh" type of statement.

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, warcore said:

just post any game that Dre plays in if you wanna see turnovers

Among our forwards and frontcourt players in the rotation, OO had the highest turnover rate last season.  

OO 5.8% AST%, 12.2% TO%

JJ 10.4% AST%, 10.3% TO%

JC 5.3% AST%, 9.1% TO%

CC 4.7% AST%, 8.3% TO%

DH 6.0% AST%, 8.2% TO%

Bey 7.2% AST%, 6.5% TO%

• Thanks 1