• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jalen Johnson may be better than De'Andre Hunter and Cam Reddish

TheNorthCydeRises

• Premium Member
36 minutes ago, AHF said:

I'd say they should just do an article on JJ and Bey talking about the larger roles they are assuming.  Pitching it as "Snyder is urged to take risk on JJ/Bey" is silly.   What risk are they talking about?  That is the literal headline to the article and it is non-sensical.

With JC gone, you have to give more time to JJ and Bey by default which is what the article advocates for.  There is no choice in the matter let alone a "debate" or anything unless you are like Spud and think that Mo will take those minutes.  If the article was advocating for giving Mo the minutes over JJ and Bey that would make sense as a "risk" and as something non-obvious.  But the article doesn't even mention options other than those two (I think for largely good reason), so I'm still classifying this as a "duh" type of statement.

When I saw the headline, I assumed the 'risk' was to go with JJ as the starter, with Bey able to fill in if JJ doesn't pan out as the starter.

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

When I saw the headline, I assumed the 'risk' was to go with JJ as the starter, with Bey able to fill in if JJ doesn't pan out as the starter.

I guess.  I'm just not seeing the risk.  Both guys are going to play significant minutes there if we don't make a trade.  Is it a huge risk if JJ plays starts and plays 25 mpg there versus coming off the bench and playing 20 mpg there?  I just don't see it.  They also are straddling the line by offering up both of them as viable alternative with contrasting strengths and weaknesses.  For me, again, I see Bey as the natural pair with CC and saw good things from JJ and OO pairing up.  JJ/CC raises all the same floor spacing issues that JC/CC did and Bey/OO seems like a big downgrade in rebounding (with Bey+OO averaging about 6 fewer rebounds per36 than JJ+CC did last year).

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

I guess.  I'm just not seeing the risk.  Both guys are going to play significant minutes there if we don't make a trade.  Is it a huge risk if JJ plays starts and plays 25 mpg there versus coming off the bench and playing 20 mpg there?  I just don't see it.  They also are straddling the line by offering up both of them as viable alternative with contrasting strengths and weaknesses.  For me, again, I see Bey as the natural pair with CC and saw good things from JJ and OO pairing up.  JJ/CC raises all the same floor spacing issues that JC/CC did and Bey/OO seems like a big downgrade in rebounding (with Bey+OO averaging about 6 fewer rebounds per36 than JJ+CC did last year).

Here is the original article by BR which makes a little more sense than the convoluted article from Soaring Down South.

1 Risk Every NBA Team Should Take This Season

While everyone seemingly awaits Atlanta's inevitable change at center from Clint Capela to Onyeka Okongwu, there is another path to making this frontcourt more dynamic. Finding starter-level minutes (if not a starting spot altogether) for springy third-year swingman Jalen Johnson would do the trick.

The 6'9", 220-pounder boasts unfair explosion for his size and a sneaky-good eye for passing that could take this offense to the next level. While it sometimes appears he's playing too fast for his own good, that extra gear will be wildly beneficial once he becomes polished to the point of knowing exactly when, where and how to engage it.

The Hawks have a slew of three-and-D forwards—De'Andre Hunter, AJ Griffin and Saddiq Bey—and it feels like a safe option to rely on them to support star guards Trae Young and Dejounte Murray. But those players won't change Atlanta's fortunes, for better or worse.

There would be some risk involved in throwing major minutes at Johnson and hoping he can develop on the fly, but the potential reward of having a do-it-all defender who can drive, dish and finish on the move might justify it.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10088305-1-risk-every-nba-team-should-take-this-season

• Like 3

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Here is the original article by BR which makes a little more sense than the convoluted article from Soaring Down South.

While everyone seemingly awaits Atlanta's inevitable change at center from Clint Capela to Onyeka Okongwu, there is another path to making this frontcourt more dynamic. Finding starter-level minutes (if not a starting spot altogether) for springy third-year swingman Jalen Johnson would do the trick.

The 6'9", 220-pounder boasts unfair explosion for his size and a sneaky-good eye for passing that could take this offense to the next level. While it sometimes appears he's playing too fast for his own good, that extra gear will be wildly beneficial once he becomes polished to the point of knowing exactly when, where and how to engage it.

The Hawks have a slew of three-and-D forwards—De'Andre Hunter, AJ Griffin and Saddiq Bey—and it feels like a safe option to rely on them to support star guards Trae Young and Dejounte Murray. But those players won't change Atlanta's fortunes, for better or worse.

There would be some risk involved in throwing major minutes at Johnson and hoping he can develop on the fly, but the potential reward of having a do-it-all defender who can drive, dish and finish on the move might justify it.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10088305-1-risk-every-nba-team-should-take-this-season

Fair enough.  I still don't view something that we basically have to do as something  that needs to be justified.  Our roster doesn't work without JJ playing major minutes unless a trade happens or Spud's vision of Mo stepping up happens.  

There is definitely risk that he might fail but there is no real discussion about whether this is a risk we should take.  It is a risk that is virtually mandated by the JC trade -- unless the roster changes.

But I do think this is easier to follow.

7 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

They lost me when they said AJ and Bey are 3 AND D players.  

• Haha 2

• Premium Member

Every NBA Team's 1 Player Who Can Surprise Us Most

There is a frenetic nature to Johnson's game that Atlanta won't want to dial back too much. Part of his appeal is his "everything, everywhere, all at once" versatility, so the Hawks should give him as much freedom as they can afford.

Still, everything feels a little rushed right now, so Atlanta needs to show him how to downshift from 1.75x speed to a 1.5x pace. Given his anti-gravity bounce and long strides, he'd still be a step (or more) ahead of most defenders even if he isn't always burying the needle of his speedometer.

His shooting touch is either iffy or simply nonexistent, but you won't find many warts beyond that. His comfort handling the ball could give the Hawks some extra zip on grab-and-go rebounds, and he can do anything other than pop on either end of pick-and-roll plays. With John Collins out of Atlanta and no replacement added this offseason, Johnson has a real opportunity to play a much larger role in this rotation.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10089470-every-nba-teams-1-player-who-can-surprise-us-most

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Final_quest said:

Since people expect Okongwu to become a decent shooter, why not Jalen?

I think Jalen took some time to play his game last year and hesitated on a lot of things including his shot.  Think he could at least be a league average shooter.  

Both of them have the potential.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

JJ shot 38% from 3 in 10 g league games so i think it's in the cards. 

🤨

Are you sure about that????  I'm seeing 8 games 32% ????

Season Tm G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% 2P 2PA 2P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
2021-22 CPS 8 8 34.6 9.0 18.3 .493 1.4 4.3 .324 7.6 14.0 .545 2.0 3.5 .571 1.5 9.8 11.3 4.4 1.1 1.6 2.8 2.4

• Moderators
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

🤨

Are you sure about that????  I'm seeing 8 games 32% ????

Season Tm G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% 2P 2PA 2P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
2021-22 CPS 8 8 34.6 9.0 18.3 .493 1.4 4.3 .324 7.6 14.0 .545 2.0 3.5 .571 1.5 9.8 11.3 4.4 1.1 1.6 2.8 2.4

yeah it's really weird.  that stat line is everywhere but not sure it's right.  i think that doesn't include games that were considered 'tournament' games not official g league games.  i got my stats from here.

2021-22 Atlanta Hawks player review: Jalen Johnson - Peachtree Hoops

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

G league is small sample but it was close to 50 shots so it's not crazy small. 

I'm just going to wait and see how he does this year since I think that will give us both the best sample size and the most important sample as well.  Really goes for all of his game.  I'm excited to see what he does.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Hollinger: 12 NBA players you may not know who will impact this season

Jalen JohnsonHawks

Quin Snyder didn’t change too much when he arrived in Atlanta at midseason, but one move he made almost immediately was putting Johnson into the rotation ahead of AJ Griffin. With John Collins now traded (finally!) to Utah, it should open up even more minutes in the forward rotation for Johnson, a third-year pro from Duke who hardly played as a rookie.

He’ll be looking to convert more of his athletic-but-wild promise into consistent production this season, starting on the perimeter, where he made just 28.2 percent of his 3s in his first two seasons. Presenting a realistic weakside threat on a team that runs countless pick-and-rolls through its guards will obviously make his life easier, but in Johnson’s case, it’s especially salient because of the skills he’s already shown in other areas.

As a high-wire athlete, he’s not quite on Collins’ level, but he’s not too far away either. Johnson is a disruptive defender who averaged 3.3 stocks (steals + blocks) per 100 possessions, impacts the glass (14.8 percent rebound rate) and is a potent paint finisher who converted 72 percent of his shots at the rim last season. As the Hawks try to snap out of their two-year funk of meh averageness, Johnson’s talent could be a key swing variable.

https://theathletic.com/4948935/2023/10/11/nba-players-impact-max-christie-peyton-watson/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

• Premium Member
On 8/14/2021 at 8:18 PM, TheNorthCydeRises said:

This is a controversial and bold statement.  But it may be the truth.

2+ years ago, you called it.:good:

Got anymore of them bold statements on any of the other young players?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2