• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Jalen Johnson may be better than De'Andre Hunter and Cam Reddish

TheNorthCydeRises

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Bey just held out, how'd that work out for him? Just saying.

JJ has had several injuries this past season. Something he and his agent will/should take into account in holding out.

Risk vs Reward, sure, but he's now sliding into a #2 role as opposed to Bey who was a 5-6ish option on the team. Hawks should hope he thinks about security over a bigger pay day.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AHF said:

His injury track record should absolutely give him pause in passing on a deal that will set him up for life and it should absolutely be cause for us to get a discount over what he would get if he was not a health risk.

Excessive use of pause in a sentence.

what-confused-huh-why-stop-gif-144594618

• Haha 4

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I think they have until the day before the season starts to agree to an extension.

I think they will do it within a few days after they salary dump CC or Dre....that way fans will be more focused on the 'great market deal' we got for JJ and not that we'veonce again dumped salary for nothing. :stirthepot:🤓

I know you're like half(?) joking, but I do think this will happen-- or at least, if we extend him, it will be the last move we make this offseason.  No reason for us to extend until we finish making moves

27 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Excessive use of pause in a sentence.

what-confused-huh-why-stop-gif-144594618

We’ve unleashed a beast of gifs. :aaa:

21 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I know you're like half(?) joking,

Burd don’t half anything, much like yourself jefito! :buba:

• Haha 3

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

We’ve unleashed a beast of gifs. :aaa:

Burd don’t half anything, much like yourself jefito! :buba:

Jefito? Does that mean 'little boss'?   Then who's the big boss?

• Haha 2

JJ is uber talented for sure, and is likely our 2nd best player. But without the ability to create for himself it’s hard to justify max dollars. Those are typically reserved for guys that can generate offense on their own. JJ is amazing, but he isn’t that, yet.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AHF said:

His injury track record should absolutely give him pause in passing on a deal that will set him up for life and it should absolutely be cause for us to get a discount over what he would get if he was not a health risk.

I concur.  At first, the Braves lowballing Acuna and giving him a $100 million contract over 8 years was absurd in that market.  A healthy Acuna is a $700 million plus player.  As it turns out both he and the Braves are getting about HIS market rate because Acuna is consistently injured.

K6RBYMSKZNELJOBLZIVPBHHNYU.jpeg

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, AHF said:

Pretty sure that is lethalweapon pictured here:

image.png

Oh no doubt, he’s the magliana (the straw that stirs the 🦜 squawk’s drink 🍷).

image.gif.268b1a91021e1671d59c56e9d6422a1b.gif

Edited by Spud2nique
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member

:er:

24. Miami Heat: Jalen Johnson

24 OF 31

DENVER, CO - APRIL 6: Jalen Johnson #1 of the Atlanta Hawks dribbles the ball during the game against the Denver Nuggets on April 6, 2024 at the Ball Arena in Denver, Colorado. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and/or using this Photograph, user is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. Mandatory Copyright Notice: Copyright 2024 NBAE (Photo by Garrett Ellwood/NBAE via Getty Images)
Garrett Ellwood/NBAE via Getty Images

What could be better than nabbing an uber-athletic two-way forward who can guard all positions and fit most lineup types? It's almost as if packing five years' worth of drafts into one first round makes everyone a steal.

Jalen Johnson, a rim-rocker on the break, turned into a core piece for the Atlanta Hawks last season, increasing his numbers across the board to 16.0 points, 8.7 rebounds, 3.6 assists, 1.2 steals and 0.8 blocks per game. He's already the Hawks' second-best player, and there's an outside shot the 6'9" forward becomes the franchise face, depending on what happens with Trae Young.

The Duke product features solid handles for someone of his stature and has shown good instincts in setting up his teammates, and while he's not a polished defender yet, Heat coach Erik Spoelstra would make quick use of his switchability on that end.

For an idea of the lofty heights some in the industry think his peak could reach, here's Yahoo's Jake Fischer on the 22-year-old: "I don't know what his ceiling is going to be, but the dude at his peaks this year is giving kind of scary flashes of Blake Griffin with the Clippers and Ben Simmons in Philly before, obviously, Ben fell off."

Slotting him alongside Jimmy Butler and Bam Adebayo for another run through the Eastern Conference gauntlet sounds like an intimidating proposition for opponents.

• Sad 1

I'm really curious about the idea of us waiting until next year to give him his extension rather than giving it to him between now and October. Kinda like how the Sixers did with Maxey.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 8/7/2024 at 1:35 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

Any update on the progress of JJ's early extension?

@Sothron

On the latest episode of Yahoo Sports’ No Cap Room podcast (YouTube link), Jake Fischer indicated that the fourth-year forward is hoping for a maximum-salary deal and that his agency – Klutch Sports – will likely open negotiations with Atlanta by asking for that amount, if that hasn’t happened already.

“The Hawks made basically everyone available for trade since February besides him,” Fischer said. “So of course you’re going to be thinking, ‘Well, pay me that way.'

Still, as Fischer points out, Johnson has had some injury issues and played an extremely limited role prior to the 2023/24 season, so the Hawks won’t just hand him a maximum-salary contract. If that’s his demand, he’ll likely reach restricted free agency in 2025 and have to show in ’24/25 that he’s worth that sort of investment. If he’s willing to compromise with the club, perhaps the two sides will work something out by this year’s Oct. 21 deadline.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2024/08/nba-2024-offseason-check-in-atlanta-hawks.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1