• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Jalen Johnson may be better than De'Andre Hunter and Cam Reddish

TheNorthCydeRises

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

On the latest episode of Yahoo Sports’ No Cap Room podcast (YouTube link), Jake Fischer indicated that the fourth-year forward is hoping for a maximum-salary deal and that his agency – Klutch Sports – will likely open negotiations with Atlanta by asking for that amount, if that hasn’t happened already.

“The Hawks made basically everyone available for trade since February besides him,” Fischer said. “So of course you’re going to be thinking, ‘Well, pay me that way.'

Still, as Fischer points out, Johnson has had some injury issues and played an extremely limited role prior to the 2023/24 season, so the Hawks won’t just hand him a maximum-salary contract. If that’s his demand, he’ll likely reach restricted free agency in 2025 and have to show in ’24/25 that he’s worth that sort of investment. If he’s willing to compromise with the club, perhaps the two sides will work something out by this year’s Oct. 21 deadline.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2024/08/nba-2024-offseason-check-in-atlanta-hawks.html

It never hurts to ask.  But I cannot see us paying him max right now.  5/150m seems more reasonable.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jdawgflow said:

It never hurts to ask.  But I cannot see us paying him max right now.  5/150m seems more reasonable.

He's gonna have to play 70+ games at least, as well as play at an all-star level to give him the max this year. I hope for the team's sake that he does. 

If not, they'll kick the can down the road and wait until next summer.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Every NBA Team's Biggest X-Factor for 2024-25 Season

Atlanta Hawks: Jalen Johnson

1 OF 30

ATLANTA, GA - APRIL 9: Jalen Johnson #1 of the Atlanta Hawks dribbles the ball during the game against the Miami Heat on April 9, 2024 at State Farm Arena in Atlanta, Georgia.  NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and/or using this Photograph, user is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. Mandatory Copyright Notice: Copyright 2024 NBAE (Photo by Scott Cunningham/NBAE via Getty Images)
Scott Cunningham/NBAE via Getty Images

Jalen Johnson broke out last year, cranking up his points per game from 5.6 to 16.0 while tapping into a level of shooting efficiency (35.5 percent from deep) and a setup game (3.6 assists) that he'd never shown before.

This isn't so much a question about whether Johnson's arrival was for real. His transition finishing is undeniable, and anyone who watched him confidently stroke threes and sling the ball around for transition assists knows his 2023-24 numbers were rooted in legitimate skill increases. He earned those career-high 33.7 minutes per game.

Less certain is Johnson's ability to leverage those gains into team success.

The 22-year-old only graded out as the Atlanta Hawks' fifth-best player by Estimated Plus/Minus, and his team's net rating was actually worse with him on the floor than off. Neither of those figures should overshadow Johnson's 6'9" size, athleticism or youth—all of which suggest he's on the road to stardom. But at best, it was statistically unclear that Johnson actually helped the Hawks' bottom line last season.

With Dejounte Murray traded away and replaced by players who won't spend nearly as much time on the ball, Johnson will get more opportunities than ever to expand his game and impact. If he takes another step forward, he'll give the Hawks the best non-guard running mate Trae Young has ever had.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10131531-every-nba-teams-biggest-x-factor-for-2024-25-season

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, AHawks89 said:

Damn Spud. No chill for an old vet. Glad you've never changed xD 

Peaks n valley’s my friend. I try to keep it light. Actually, what the heck am I saying no I don’t! 😆 :stirthepot: #postmoreAHawks89 😊 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

KG, you should just start qouting your old post about JJ. SHOW the people you were right. If I quote old post, it's me mansplaining how Josh Smith was better than Al Horford. Not going to go to far. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, AHawks89 said:

KG, you should just start qouting your old post about JJ. SHOW the people you were right. If I quote old post, it's me mansplaining how Josh Smith was better than Al Horford. Not going to go to far. 

Nah, I got no energy for all that.  I'd rather shake my fists at clouds.  Again, I'm old.

simpsons-grandpa-simpson-fist-shake-fist

• Haha 3

On 8/19/2021 at 7:13 AM, thecampster said:

Look Shaq was amazing because he's a flipping Nephilim, not because "centers progress faster". He's a 1 off. We all know that.  Nash played in an era when everyone (especially point guards) had to earn their way on to the floor. It was a very different game then and you know that. I know you know that. That's like pointing to Lebron James and saying all small forwards become power forwards one day or pointing to Spud Webb and saying short players have the best chance at winning the dunk contest. You have a tendency and its to always try to find things people say, look for the exception and point to it as fact. Of course there are exceptions. Sports would be boring without them. But they are not the rule, they are not the commonality.

But this doesn't change the facts which are that by nature smaller players tend to be quicker, more agile and big men tend to take longer to grow into their bodies. Just because you can point to 1 or 2 examples where sheer size overcame tendencies does not make what I or anyone else on the subject says wrong. The 1 off is one of the laziest arguments ever presented.  

When I or anyone says, "cheeseburgers taste good" we are not saying that every cheeseburger ever made is as good as every cheeseburger ever eaten. Because of course one could say, "what about tofu burgers" or "what about expiring meat" or "low fat content meat vs high fat content", "grilled vs fried vs broiled", "spices or no".  I am sure that somewhere in the universe there was a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, the best pbnj ever made that tasted better than an expired tofu burger with a multigrain moldy bun. I'm happy to extend you that argument but in general, when given a choice between a burger and a pbnj, most people would agree there is no beating a burger.....but Camp, vegetarians and vegans. But Camp, India. But Camp spicy beef flavored peanut butter with imported Italian raspberry/grape preserves.  Yes, I'll allow 1 offs. Nothing I or anyone else says should ever be assumed to mean that all unicorns fart rainbows. I'm sure there's 1 who actually farts anti-matter.

I just want to take a second and point out that potentially my best post of all time resides in this thread.  Yes, the sentence "Nothing I or anyone else says should ever be assumed to mean that all unicorns fart rainbows. I'm sure there's 1 who actually farts anti-matter." exists in this thread.  Its a good read, go back and read this thread from start to finish.

• Haha 4

56 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I just want to take a second and point out that potentially my best post of all time resides in this thread.  Yes, the sentence "Nothing I or anyone else says should ever be assumed to mean that all unicorns fart rainbows. I'm sure there's 1 who actually farts anti-matter." exists in this thread.  Its a good read, go back and read this thread from start to finish.

The amount of grace, flexibility, and dexterity exhibited in your post is otherworldly. 

Not sure anyone's ever seen a human kiss his own a** and pat himself on the back at the same time before.

Wish we'd have had you at the Olympics.  You might not have won gold but you definitely would've been on the podium with that breaking(sic) talent.

🙂

cmon laugh, campst.  You know it was funny. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3