• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Pistons at Hawks

lethalweapon3

5 hours ago, NBASupes said:

He does everything outside of shooting well. He also does a lot of little things. He can play on or off the ball. He's constantly moving in little spaces opening up the game for others. He's a massive reason our 2nd unit has been a major plus every game this year. He's a much better player than even I thought he was. For a modern PG, he's not that but he's what I call a versatile PG who adds a lot of positive value. He's not an average at everything type like Shelvin Mack and Brandon Goodwin. He's really good at a lot. What he's good at might not be massive to PGs but it is to impact. That's where we need him to be massive at.

A little bit of a Shaun Livingston on the warriors feel? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, marco102 said:

I don't think it's an experiment. It's just getting them more time on the court together. 

Also Trae has gotten his turnovers down to 3 a game thus far and only 2 per game in his last two.  He's doing what you wanted..lol

It's funny having Collins in foul trouble early forced Nate to play Collins in the second unit and he FEASTED. It may be something to consider going forward to stagger Collins rotation early so he can have more minutes with Cam and Huerter in the second unit. Offensively having Gallo in with Capela may also be a fantastic fit as it opens up the lane for Trae to run the pick and roll with Cap 

• Like 4

• Premium Member

Late but wanted to put my thoughts on paper:

• Trae had a VERY nice game.  9 assists and only 2 TOs, even had a steal.  He shot well and scored efficiently but he doesn't even need to when he can distribute as well as he did last night
  • Collins is key for us.  Outside of Trae, he understands our offense better than anyone and he has the best chemistry with the guys.  Crazy posters aside, he has been playing extremely well within his game and has looked great.  Some of his fouls have been weak but I trust that will get cleaned up regardless.
  • Heurter and Bogi had much better shooting nights, starting to find some rhythm
  • Cam is looking better but he still has immense room for improvement.  He's taking a ton of shots and not scoring efficiently at all.  He has so much potential to become an elite slasher, I hope he can refine that part of his game.  Even with all the missed shots, happy to see him balling and looking confident, and his defense is nice
  • Nice to see Lou getting some good run yesterday, looked fresh
  • Can we please do anything to keep Solo off the court?  I love the guy but let him bring refreshments and live-tweet the game from the bench.  Anything has to be better than him on the court, even a Dieng/Capela pairing or give Jalen some time... let JC foul out before Solo gets minutes
  • We still have A LOT of sloppy possessions that are resulting in ugly step backs, shot clock forcing bad shots, ugly turnovers, etc.  I know it's early in the season but I hope we can get some better flow and chemistry for that tough stretch in early November.
  • I like that Nate is running some interesting lineups and trying things out.  Our wings are pretty interchangeable but I think there are some unique combos that will be fun to mess with in the future between JC/Capela/Dieng/Gallo/OO
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Late but wanted to put my thoughts on paper:

• Cam is looking better but he still has immense room for improvement.  He's taking a ton of shots and not scoring efficiently at all.  He has so much potential to become an elite slasher, I hope he can refine that part of his game.  Even with all the missed shots, happy to see him balling and looking confident, and his defense is nice
  • Can we please do anything to keep Solo off the court?  I love the guy but let him bring refreshments and live-tweet the game from the bench.  Anything has to be better than him on the court, even a Dieng/Capela pairing or give Jalen some time... let JC foul out before Solo gets minutes

Cam through three games is 44% and 50%+ from three with a true shooting percentage of 58.5%. He's actually been extremely efficient through three games, bumped up tremendously by his three point shooting. You would want his 2% to increase to sustain the inevitable collapse in three point percent to hopefully the low 40's or mid 30's. 

I was on this train until I saw JJ on defense last night. He's completely lost out there on the defensive end. That's why Solo's out there, Nate trusts his communication on the defensive end.

Edited by marco102
  • Like 4

• Moderators
Just now, marco102 said:

Cam through three games is 44% and 50%+ from three with a true shooting percentage of 58.5%. He's actually been extremely efficient through three games, bumped up tremendously by his three point shooting. You would want his 2% to increase to sustain the inevitable collapse in three point percent to hopefully the low 40's or mid 30's. 

I was on this train until I saw JJ on defense last night. He's completely lost out there on the defensive end. That's why Solo's out there, Nate trusts his communication on the defensive end.

Yeah, Cam has been super efficient so far driven by that 3pt%.  Talking about this on another thread.  Great start to the season.  When you talk about areas for improvement over that way too small 3 game sample, his shooting % around the rim is one area that should increase pretty substantially.  The gap between his long range 2pt shooting and his 3pt shooting is what is likely to meet closer to the middle (his long 2's are a bit over 28% while the 3's are over 56%).

• Like 4

• Premium Member
40 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Fair, I just don't see the 3P% as sustainable and I feel like his shot selection needs improvement.  We have a lot of guys that can knock down mid-rangers better than him so I don't like him taking those on high volume.  His instincts are really good around the rim if he tightens his handles a bit and doesn't try to force it.

• Like 1

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

It's a little hair pullingly frustrating that we have the deepest squad in team history, probably the deepest squad in the NBA. And Solo is seeing the damn floor. 

Bear in mind, he was top 5 on our team in total minutes played last year.  While a lot of that was injury driven, it is also a reflection that Nate trusts him and so I'd expect to see him remain a regular part of the rotation.  Instead of #5 like last year, so far this year he is #10 in total minutes.

• Like 3

The only issue I've seen with Cam is playing a little too loose or sloppy at times, turnovers. A few bad passes, getting a good steal, but immediately loosing the ball again because he loses control of the ball. I think it will get better the more comfortable he gets playing.

I think Collins is just trying too hard to become a better defensive presence. He'll cut down on the bad fouls as he acclimates more, too. The effort is there for both players, which is what you want to see. Refinement will come as long as they continue to desire to work. 

Related, I like seeing Trae putting some effort on the defensive side, too. He's never going to be great, but nice not to have a total matador giving everything up easy.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Solo is bad at scoring.  he does most other things well.  That's valuable when you're trying to feed Cam and Heurter.   

Good game after a terrible start.  Pistons are awful.   Cavs are so-so.   Glad we're getting these 'warm up' games. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, NBASupes said:

He does everything outside of shooting well. He also does a lot of little things. He can play on or off the ball. He's constantly moving in little spaces opening up the game for others. He's a massive reason our 2nd unit has been a major plus every game this year. He's a much better player than even I thought he was. For a modern PG, he's not that but he's what I call a versatile PG who adds a lot of positive value. He's not an average at everything type like Shelvin Mack and Brandon Goodwin. He's really good at a lot. What he's good at might not be massive to PGs but it is to impact. That's where we need him to be massive at.

With Trae on the court, the Hawks have an Ortg of 113.9. With him off, it's 89.4.  Not saying this is all on Wright.. Just sayin....

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

Lou is much better for the bench offense right now until Wright get's more chemistry with our guys.

I think we are learning and need to accept that we have to get Trae going in order to get everyone else going.

We are a good, deep team, but Trae makes us special. When he is a threat, everything opens up. When he is off, the team is a little stagnant. We have to prioritize making him a threat. He can always playmake off of his scoring gravity. We just seem a little clunky doing it the other way around