• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Warriors

lethalweapon3

• Moderators
1 minute ago, terrell said:

Now that's a Superstar......People need to stop throwing that word around so easily.. Giving it a bad name...

That is a multiple MVP.  Clearly Trae isn’t on that level but there is a bit of semantics here since people use that word differently.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

So Curry did drop 50 on us and I can't believe I stayed up for it... my takeaways in our 4th straight loss:

Postives

• I felt like Trae played exceptional tonight.  He did not force much, played within his game, took smart shots, made a lot of shots, and didn't get out of control.  4 turnovers isn't great but I don't know if I even agree with the scoring on all of these.  I think one of the was just Capela brick hands.  Dumb travel on one but overall good game.
  • Collins continues to look like a solid piece going forward.  Very happy he's under contract for the next 4 years, and I think this is going to look like a steal of a deal by the end of it.
  • Heurter and Bogi shot well
  • Wright got some more burn to help assimilate with the team.
  • D Mitchell looks rusty so maybe he can shoot the Jazz out of a win tonight
  • Jokic might get suspended for our Nuggets game
  • We have 71 games left

Negatives

• Whole offense looks horrendous when Trae isn't bringing the ball up and starting the action
  • Heurter had FOUR turnovers.  His 5 (some of which were bs) fouls had to be frustrating so I think this was a mental game for him
  • National media and narrative talks a lot about Trae not being good with the rules changes and tougher defense, but any Hawks fan knows that it's actually Gallinari that is borderline useless now.  He carried our bench last year by driving and falling down and shooting free throws -- this year he looks like he barely belongs in the league if his shot isn't falling and he's already a liability on defense.  #1 on my trade-away wish list but unfortunately he has no value
  • Cam looked bad... bad drives/turnovers, settled for bad shots (even his 1 make).  His team defense isn't good. 
  • Hunter played well on the defensive end but someone has gotta talk to him about his shot selection.  Driving 2 feet past the arc and taking long 2s for all your shots is just bad.  It's the worst shot in basketball early in the shot clock.  I don't get it.  We need that in the playoffs and when the shot clock winds down but iso'ing your man into a long 2 is a win for the defense every time.  Irks me.
  • Capela has looked off all year and is a huge reason our defense has been struggling.  I'm really excited for OO to come back.  I think he's going to be a spark this team will need mid-season.
  • Lastly, and probably most importantly, what the hell is Nate doing with these rotations?  Our bench unit is horrendous and he continues to roll out the all-bench unit.  Aside from that, were Capela and Hunter on minutes restrictions?  Solo getting minutes?  No Lou this game?  I don't understand these rotations at all, but it's clear to me our team has zero chemistry and I think a huge part of that is we have no consistency with who is on the floor together.
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Plainview1981 said:

Glad I didn't get too excited about the playoff run last year. This team is a mess and Trae Young is a joke.

People should never compare Trae to Curry ever again. One can shoot and score without needing 8-10 free throws and the other can't because he struggles to shoot 42%.

Honestly, I think in some ways Trae has got worse over the years rather than better. He seemed to have more magic and flair then.

Now, you've a player with endless arrogance that is also complaining and expecting refs to bail him out.

The Evolution Of The Michael Jordan Crying Face Meme : The Two-Way : NPR

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This and the switching which pulls him out to the perimter, which limits his rim protection. 

He gotta fix them hands though.

The Hawks as the Heat and Lakers last year are struggling due to the quick turnaround and no recovery time. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 minute ago, marco102 said:

Who do they throw it at that they shouldn't?

I throw it around a lot but i think you could make the case that Steph, KD, Giannis, Lebron, Kawhi are the superstars of the league and the rest are stars, all stars but yeah it's just semantics.  

• Premium Member
Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

We went away from what worked, which was JC. 

We have too many mouths to feed.  We're trying to do like 4 things at once right now -- get cam/dre touches in their contract year to see what they're made of, trying out tons of different rotations, trying to let bogi/heurter/others play-make, trying to switch everything on defense, trying to run a lot more non-pnr sets, etc.  We are making wayyyyy too many tweaks at once and it's showing in the results.  I'm not even opposed to making changes but if you never have the same players playing together, we'll never build any chemistry

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

The Hawks as the Heat and Lakers last year are struggling due to the quick turnaround and no recovery time. 

Bucks are as well this year and they might be 4-7 just like us after a trip to Philly tonight

• Like 2

• Premium Member
Just now, JeffS17 said:

We have too many mouths to feed.  We're trying to do like 4 things at once right now -- get cam/dre touches in their contract year to see what they're made of, trying out tons of different rotations, trying to let bogi/heurter/others play-make, trying to switch everything on defense, trying to run a lot more non-pnr sets, etc.  We are making wayyyyy too many tweaks at once and it's showing in the results.  I'm not even opposed to making changes but if you never have the same players playing together, we'll never build any chemistry

I agree with this.  I understand that Nate is trying to figure out what he has... And he don't want to fall victim to not playing guys and lineups because once Nate gets locked in, he doesn't change.  However, he needs to stick in the Magic school of thinking.  If it's working, keep it going until the other guy stops it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Poole was so awful his rookie year. Worse than Cam and to see his offensive growth in the last two years is impressive 

Poole, Herro, Keldon Johnson,, etc............Reddish is getting left behind in development by guys picked after him.

8 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Suns went through it a bit as well.  I think we should settle into the idea that we won't be a 1-seed, which is what a lot of folks thought.

Also not understanding the doom/gloom posts from some.  Then again, I do understand it because that's all they ever bring to the site win or lose.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I am not feeling Nate's staff either. I am not seeing the in season player development I saw in the previous three years. Why get rid of Marlon Garrett? 

Gotta make room for your son.....

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, JeffS17 said:

The objective is to win games - do what works with who gives you the best chance to do that - everyone else gotta just fit in. JC sacrificed his raw stats last year in his contract year to get Clint going with the PnR and by doing so expanded his game in other areas, need some others to have a similar mindset.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, AHF said:

Will be interesting to see what his role looks like when Klay is back.   Agree on his growth - kudos to the young man.

They're gonna be competing for a ring.. Maybe we can pry him away in a deal including Gallo or Bogi at the deadline. .lol

11 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Suns went through it a bit as well.  I think we should settle into the idea that we won't be a 1-seed, which is what a lot of folks thought.

Also not understanding the doom/gloom posts from some.  Then again, I do understand it because that's all they ever bring to the site win or lose.

Who thought #1 seed? Put some names on that...

1 minute ago, terrell said:

Who thought #1 seed? Put some names on that...

I thought the Hawks had a shot at the number one seed and still do.  They are improving, but this is a really tough part of the schedule. They need to get it together, but I still believe they'll be a top 4 seed when it's all said and done.   

• Like 1