• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Warriors

lethalweapon3

• Moderators
56 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I'm not hearing a GOAT conversation for Curry.  Great player.  HOFer.  All-timer.  All that.  Not close to GOAT.

Drop him in Cleveland or Charlotte or New Orleans with middling/poor teammates that don't compliment what he does well and watch how GOATy he'd be.

14 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I disagree. Steph is one of the greatest players in the NBA history. The 2nd best ceiling raiser in NBA history outside of Michael Jordan. 

I don't see these things as being in conflict.  Kobe is one of the greatest players in NBA history but shouldn't be in the GOAT conversation.  For me, the GOAT conversation is limited to MJ, Kareem and LeBron.  Magic, Bird, Wilt, Steph, Oscar, etc. are all some of the greatest players the game has ever seen but aren't in the GOAT conversation for me.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Very insightful indeed - the question is 'who is the outlet for Trae when this happens, someone capable of making the alternate reads for themselves or other players?'...at the start of the season, I said we needed one of our wings players to take that next step...so far, they have ALL been inconsistent.

Love the response. No matter what Trae detractors say, they can't say he doesn't learn. One of the reasons we dusted the Knicks was that Trae recognized every coverage they threw at him, I like this long term and it adds to my point of reading each-other, moving, and making aggressive plays instead of trying to score. I think we'll get there.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I get the passing in traffic and losing the ball....the issue is he has no lift to dunk everything and  ZERO touch around the basket.............. so missed bunnies everywhere.

600625d60d755c9e3be4cd41ba5f5839.gif

Awareness is the first step to improvement. These are growing pains and the chemistry will be better off because of it.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Only things i disagree with is that like it or not we need Gallo hitting shots.    We don't have any other options.   The good news is that he will start hitting them.   Guys don't just stop making shots permanently that they've been making for 10+ years.   

Wright / Lou - neither are really doing that well.  

While i want to see Jalen and Sharife it would be very surprising to me if they could come in and have a positive effect right now.   It's just really soon.  

Nate does some things i don't like but folks were saying Wright sucks then they benched him and they said he should be playing.   Cam wasn't getting enough time early and now he looks like a rookie again.  At some point guys have to step up.   

I was ok with Wright not scoring as he was setting the table for guys like Huerter and Cam to get the bulk of the scoring options.  When Lou and Gallo returned to the 2nd unit, with both looking for their shots Cam took a backseat in his shot attempts. The first 6 or 7 games his shot attempts were where they needed to be and he understand where he would be getting them.  Now, not so much with Lou and Gallo looking for their offense first. 

And somebody please tell Cam stop with the stepbacks, he's taller than whoever is guarding him....drive and pullup for the shot.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Can someone explain why Gallo is refusing to get in the low post?  I keep mentioning this for a reason. His entire purpose on our team is to be the scoring sixth man on the second unit. He always had an in and out game. Since he's been here he's just settling for three pointers. When he actually got into the post in this game he scored an easy basket, got fouled the next time down going into the post and made his free throws. 

Any one that's played or watched basketball would then expect him to keep going to that spot for more low post chances. But he never did. It makes absolutely no sense to me. We don't have another low post player for him to conflict with positioning. He needs to get in the low post. Not every time but at least half his shots should come from there to maximize on his height and size and the fact hardly anyone in the NBA can actually GUARD in the low post.

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Can someone explain why Gallo is refusing to get in the low post?  I keep mentioning this for a reason. His entire purpose on our team is to be the scoring sixth man on the second unit. He always had an in and out game. Since he's been here he's just settling for three pointers. When he actually got into the post in this game he scored an easy basket, got fouled the next time down going into the post and made his free throws. 

Any one that's played or watched basketball would then expect him to keep going to that spot for more low post chances. But he never did. It makes absolutely no sense to me. We don't have another low post player for him to conflict with positioning. He needs to get in the low post. Not every time but at least half his shots should come from there to maximize on his height and size and the fact hardly anyone in the NBA can actually GUARD in the low post.

Gallo can't dribble and move/turn without falling down while throwing up a prayer of a shot

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Despite what @JeffS17 said, which is valid, he often stumble/fumbles ... when Gallo is 'right' he's attacking in the low post.  It's a much better shot than him tricky-dribblin' into a long 2 or 3. It's almost like, as is the case with Heuter imho, he'd be better served to play with Trae instead of the backups.

On a total other note, can anyone explain to me why Lou had been playing while Wright sat?  Lou should get the 1 or 2 shots it takes to see if he's hot.  When he's not, he should sit ... not on the bench, in the lockerroom or stands.  They should send him to warm up the bus or to serve popcorn until the game's over.

When he's off, his shots are ...

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47xnrycjnnjx3vxjux5e

you might have missed Nate's response, so here ya go...Enjoy!

• Like 1

• Premium Member
50 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Gallo can't dribble and move/turn without falling down while throwing up a prayer of a shot

That's just not true. He's had years where he was the first or second scoring option on a team. He can score in the post. It is bonkers that he's not getting back in the paint for us especially considering he's aging and low post shots are there no matter what the age is since it doesn't rely on twitch muscle reaction.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Gallo

The refs hate Trae and Gallo right now. I don’t know what we can do to fix this. You want us to change their faces refs? That’s their mug, we can’t change that! :cray2:

Gallo is dying out there for a call CAAAAMAAAANNNN (my Red Sox accent came out my Damon).

• Premium Member
33 minutes ago, Sothron said:

That's just not true. He's had years where he was the first or second scoring option on a team. He can score in the post. It is bonkers that he's not getting back in the paint for us especially considering he's aging and low post shots are there no matter what the age is since it doesn't rely on twitch muscle reaction.

I know, just tired of watching half our team look like they learned how to dribble yesterday.  We have a lot of good options on offense to be honest, but none of them are a focus so it's become a free for all.  Bogi's running sideways off-balance 30 foot air ball to effectively end the Suns game is a great summary of what we've been seeing outside of Trae making plays.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

He should be in the GOAT conversation right now but people are too entrenched in MJ v Lebron and their stats that are largely dictated by a much higher usage rate than Steph.  Curry's impact on the court is more significant than anyone i've ever seen.  Look how helpless we looked last night when he got hot.  The entire team was in disarray trying to pick him up, double him, etc.  You give the guy a 2/10th of a second window and he's splashing a 3 in your face.  His efficiency is better than anyone, all-time, and he doesn't rely on free throws for his points.  His 2016 season was the most special season i've ever seen.  50/45/90 while shooting 11 3s a game is unfathomable... when he gets hot like last night there's little we can do to win the game -- sometimes you just have to appreciate what you're seeing while he's still in the league

He is my favorite all time to watch for sure but I always give credit to Draymond for molding him into a great team defender (a majority of the time, last season he was ass). He can pile up turnovers and shoot like sh*t and still have a large winning impact off movement and defending alone.  He’s not as good a passer as his passing talent suggests he should take it a bit more seriously though.  Add on Klay and we’ll just never see a better fit and fusion of 3-players.

The fact that he’s invented a new jumpshot form that has proven to be arguably the best ever and no one has even attempted to duplicate it is just insane to me.  I just hope I live long enough to see his son Cannon take it to another level possibly.  That kid gonna shoot 45% on high volume out the gate lol.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Well that would be true of any GOATs right?     But how much more middling can you get than what he has as GS right now?

FACTS...

At least Curry doesn't go out and pick his teammates... ala Lebron. 

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, AHF said:

I don't see these things as being in conflict.  Kobe is one of the greatest players in NBA history but shouldn't be in the GOAT conversation.  For me, the GOAT conversation is limited to MJ, Kareem and LeBron.  Magic, Bird, Wilt, Steph, Oscar, etc. are all some of the greatest players the game has ever seen but aren't in the GOAT conversation for me.

I agree. 

The thing about Steph is that he fits in a club that is very hard to get into..

The I changed Basketball Club.   Who is in that club?

Of Course MJ (*2).   The MJ that was Jesus in Gym Shoes that Bird talked about Changed the game with his dominance from the SG position... and the old man MJ who mastered the midrange shot was also a league changer. 

Kareem - Banned the dunk because of him. 

Wilt - Tried to create all kinds of rules to slow down Wilt from scoring. 

Bill Russell - The Blocks.

AI  - Definitely culture... but on the court... he was the inside scoring little man. 

CP3 didn't change the league.  He's just the embodiment of what perfection at PG should look like.    In function, there is no difference between CP3 and Sherman Douglass.. But in Execution, CP3 is everything that Sherman wanted to be with sustained excellence.   CP3 and Jason Kidd fall into this category but I would say that CP3 is a better scorer. 

And then there was Steph.

Before Steph started pulling up from everywhere, defenses would sag back into the paint.   Then this little happy guy comes out of nowhere lofting the ball from damn near halfcourt and hitting with ease.. and people started to say.. damn, we got to check this guy. 

Kobe, Lebron, and Durant are all great players but nothing that they have done changed the League.  In all honesty, they were copies of somebody else in one way or another.  Well, Durant is different.  But Steph... Sheez...

He gets so much disrespect because he's a smaller player.