• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

My guy has talked around NBA circles of late

NBASupes

1 minute ago, REHawksFan said:

The absurd thing is the article is saying JC plus picks for Simmons plus taking back Harris.  But the only way that works is if you also add in Bogi and Gallo so it's not actually JC plus picks any longer.  Say what you will about Bogi and Gallo, both are still productive parts of our team that wouldn't be replaced in this deal.  It's not like JC plus picks alone would be a deal that would work.  You're also losing 2 fairly useful players for the Hawks.  

Think if you traded JC, Gallo and Bogi. There would be a lot of pressure on Kevin and Dre for shooting, and if Dre gets hurt again, well you have no shooting. If Dre gets hurt again we are probably screwed no matter what though.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Think if you traded JC, Gallo and Bogi. There would be a lot of pressure on Kevin and Dre for shooting, and if Dre gets hurt again, well you have no shooting. If Dre gets hurt again we are probably screwed no matter what though.

Yeah, I just can't give up that much perimeter shooting without getting some back:

JC:  42.6%

Gallo:  40.0%

Dre:  39.2%

Trae:  38.0%

Kev:  36.6%

Bogi:  35.4%

Harris:  31.3%

Simmons:  14.7% (career)

Makes no sense.  Give me Ben and Danny Green with his 38.1% while keeping Gallo.  That's much more palatable. I don't even care (within reason) what the pick capital is.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Here's the thing....

If you look at pros and cons of just JC vs Simmons:

Scoring -  Simmons.  I think Simmons would add more because of his ability to pass and his ability to get to the basket.

Outside shooting - Definitely JC.  JC helps our offense a lot by being a stretch 4. 

Ball handling - Simmons.  I think Simmons could be that second ball handler that allows Trae to play off ball. 

Clutch Scoring - JC.  JC doesn't buckle under pressure.

Defense - Simmons.  Simmons can defend all 5 positions and he's a good on ball defender. 

Rebounding - JC.  JC is a surprisingly good rebounder. 

Leadership - JC.   JC is just it... he's a vocal leader.

Mental Toughness - Definitely JC.  

It's up to each individual to put your own weights on each category.. but I believe we can all agree that those are the correct responses to the categories. 

Would Simmons make us better?  When we were playing terribly and terrible defense, it was easy to see how he would be a difference maker.  But now, we're playing a lot better on all fronts especially on defense and even though he would probably make us better, not by much.   Therefore, I am not for changing this team right now. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Well if Harden wants to go to Philly, a sign and trade could be worked out, assuming Brooklyn would be on board with Ben joining the team.

Yeah, IF Harden wants to go.  This is basically Morey trying to get leverage through the media because no one is meeting his high demands.  

If the Hawks were to trade for Simmons, I'd rather it be an off season addition anyway so he has time to ramp back and up and work with the team. 

No way they should take on that Harris contract and give up all our shooting though. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, GameTime said:

If Harden wants to go to Philly, it's not really pie-in-the-sky...  Morey isn't an idiot -- if he holds out, it's because he's already had conversations with Harden.  Harden is a free agent this offseason, so Philly doesn't need leverage to get Harden if that's the team he wants to go to.  In fact, Brooklyn should be thrilled if they could possibly get Simmons in a SnT scenario assuming Harden wants to go to Philly.

But more than likely this is just one last effort to drive value up on Simmons before the deadline.  They can SnT for Harden regardless if Harden wants to come to Philly...

4 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

If Harden wants to go to Philly, it's not really pie-in-the-sky...  Morey isn't an idiot -- if he holds out, it's because he's already had conversations with Harden.  Harden is a free agent this offseason, so Philly doesn't need leverage to get Harden if that's the team he wants to go to.  In fact, Brooklyn should be thrilled if they could possibly get Simmons in a SnT scenario assuming Harden wants to go to Philly.

But more than likely this is just one last effort to drive value up on Simmons before the deadline.  They can SnT for Harden regardless if Harden wants to come to Philly...

Well Philly can't sign Harden without getting rid of Ben and someone else.  That's why it HAS to be a sign and trade.  They don't have any cap space.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Well Philly can't sign Harden without getting rid of Ben and someone else.  That's why it HAS to be a sign and trade.  They don't have any cap space.

Yes I understand that but if Harden wants to go to Philly, it will happen, full stop.  Not only is this a players league, but the Nets have zero choice in the matter.  What are the Nets options?  Let Harden walk and deny a sign and trade for an all-star DPOY level player?  That would be a fireable offense if I was the Nets ownership.  

1 minute ago, JeffS17 said:

Yes I understand that but if Harden wants to go to Philly, it will happen, full stop.  Not only is this a players league, but the Nets have zero choice in the matter.  What are the Nets options?  Let Harden walk and deny a sign and trade for an all-star DPOY level player?  That would be a fireable offense if I was the Nets ownership.  

I think all of this is a moot point.  There's been reports that Harden was very happy in Brooklyn and was planning to sign there.  

Morey is just posturing. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, marco102 said:

I think all of this is a moot point.  There's been reports that Harden was very happy in Brooklyn and was planning to sign there.  

Morey is just posturing. 

I agree, was just entertaining the idea that he might want out.  The real story this offseason is the Kyrie situation imo because I cannot imagine he is good for the locker room lol

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

If the Nets have no interest in Simmons they can't be forced them to take him, what they can do is create a TPE for the amount of Harden's contract.  Philly will still have to find other ways to free up capspace by trading Simmons and Harris and not take any salary back.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Using this logic why not trade Simmons now and do the SnT in the offseason with the players you traded for this deadline? What is Brooklyn gonna do...... say no to the package?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

The real story this offseason is the Kyrie situation imo because I cannot imagine he is good for the locker room lol

Future teammate of Kyrie: "Hey man you left an open bag of doritos in my locker and it's attracting ants"

Kyrie: "But is it really YOUR locker?? Did you build it with your own two hands? Oh you didn't -- then it's not your locker. Plus, ants are just as important to the planet as you are. And they're natural."

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, warcore said:

Future teammate of Kyrie: "Hey man you left an open bag of doritos in my locker and it's attracting ants"

Kyrie: "But is it really YOUR locker?? Did you build it with your own two hands? Oh you didn't -- then it's not your locker. Plus, ants are just as important to the planet as you are. And they're natural."

..... is he wrong?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

If the Nets have no interest in Simmons they can't be forced them to take him, what they can do is create a TPE for the amount of Harden's contract.  Philly will still have to find other ways to free up capspace by trading Simmons and Harris and not take any salary back.

Nets wouldn't be forced to take him but they'd be very dumb not to.  They can flip Simmons for very good players if they dont want him.  TPEs usually end up worthless