• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

My guy has talked around NBA circles of late

NBASupes

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I'm in the see it from both sides camp, not a picking sides camp. Objectively, if Simmons joined the Hawks, he'd be the second best player on the roster and capable of running the team if Trae went down and is fairly young. No one else on the team is a clear #2. I can look at that objectively.  I'm not for or against anything. Just talking here.

I think we need a clearer definition for #2...

Simmons can't score and can't be on the floor during the crunch time.  He can't be a #2 either IMO.  He's a good ball handler.  He can run an offense.   But that doesn't mean he's the #2 does it?  Not if we can't put him on the floor during the last 3 minutes because of Hackaben.

Simmons lost $19 million (bubble thought).

4% goes to the agent.  about 35% lost to federal tax. 3.07% tax in Pennsylvania. About 9% of what's left goes to SSI Medicare.  Formula looks something like

X*.96*.65*.96.97*.91.  

Depending on what Federal tax rate he's paying, he has actually lost closer to $10.9 million.  

Estimates on his net worth have him between $6 million and $10 million total with much of what he's bought in the last 5 years heavily mortgaged.  He gets an estimated $5 million in endorsements outside of Nike.  Of note here, his endorsement deal with Nike which can reach as much as $40 million total is highly incentivized. He is losing a great deal more daily by not playing than just his salary and fines.

Just a very detailed look at this from a high level view. There has to be a long game here because he's not long term rich from a net worth aspect vs obligations considering his young age.

27 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Simmons can't score and can't be on the floor during the crunch time.  He can't be a #2 either IMO.  He's a good ball handler.  He can run an offense.   But that doesn't mean he's the #2 does it?  Not if we can't put him on the floor during the last 3 minutes because of Hackaben.

Uhm, Simmons most definitely can score just not consistently outside of 10 feet. But he's a beast in transition and at the rim.  Score vs shoot are 2 very different things. The guy is a defensive matchup nightmare. Agile around the basket and too big for a PG/Wing to guard. His ability to back his guy down, draw a double in the paint and kick it back out is a skill we sorely lack.  Simmons demands a double in the post and purposefully slow backs his opponent down to draw them because he prefers to pass out of those situations. But if you solo cover him in the post, he is going to score and often. 

His ability to pass over the top out of the post up is devastating.

Edited by thecampster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“It’s all posturing. That’s why you haven’t heard me – I don’t get involved in all that stuff. I’ll leave that up to the front office and Ben’s camp. I’m staying out of that part. But, listen, some of this stuff I laugh at and I feel bad. I think Ben’s a good kid. I want Ben to do well.”
Source: Tom Moore @ Bucks County Courier-Times

c48a1f616bc04dd13eb3d503188ec8cb

Tom Moore @TomMoorePhilly
#Sixers story: Doc Rivers on Ben Simmons: ‘There’s nobody that’s been more supportive than me. I have a tape someone sent me of almost an hour of me over and over (praising him) https://t.co/AEvTyXJF9g #NBA pic.twitter.com/eyzPBpV9NM  10:10 PM

LOL, there is some really condescending BS in there.  He just called a 25 year old man a kid. That's power play language. The I have a tape of me praising him thing is weird. Kind of like, "I'm not sexist, I have friends who are girls." 😉

Edited by thecampster
  • Like 2

Doc, could have handled this so much better.

2 days after saying "I don't know" to the question of can Simmons be a point guard on a championship team.

Doc: "Hey guys, before we start, I just wanted to say I got asked a question in the heat of the moment following that loss and I really didn't think through my answer. I think the world of Ben and absolutely think he can be part of a championship team. I was emotional following the loss and really didn't think through my answer. I'm sorry for any confusion I caused. There are lots of reasons we lost to the Hawks. Ben's choice played a role but we missed "52% of the shots we took" in the course of that series. We were 67% from the free throw line as a team. We gave up "29" points a game to Trae Young. We had "82" turnovers in the series. That's why we lost that series and I want to put to bed any speculation that the series was lost by 1 player or 1 play. The 76ers lost the series and we need to do better next year. Its time to get back to work on that goal."

Confusion ended....Simmons is in camp day 1.

• Like 4

Cant believe Portland gave up Trent Jr for Norman Powell... What a fleece job by Ujiri...... He'd be perfect playing with Trae btw.. Can shoot and defend at a high level...... Kid is on a tear atm.....

Btw, I call grown men Kids all the time Campster....lol

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, terrell said:

Cant believe Portland gave up Trent Jr for Norman Powell... What a fleece job by Ujiri...... He'd be perfect playing with Trae btw..... Kid is on fire right now....

Btw, I called grown men Kids all the time Campster....lol

Although I'm not totally there in thinking GLLLLenn calling Simmons kid was intentional (sports context sometimes muddies the waters), typically when people refer to adults as 'kid' it's meant in a disrespectful way.  I think there are very narrow circumstances when that's not the case.

• Premium Member

Hawks keeping an eye on Josh Hart?

Josh Hart is also a player to keep an eye on, thanks to his team-friendly contract, which is non-guaranteed next season, as noted on our Pelicans salary page. Some teams have liked him from afar. One of those teams is Atlanta.

• Like 4

Should he call him Mr. Simmons? I'm more on Philly's side than Ben's as far as culpability, but two things can be true. Doc is known to often be a jerk. Ben is known to be aloof and defensive. Whatever, I want a Simmons trade because we need another playmaker and defender, but only if he's willing to admit his mistakes and embrace the team. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Should he call him Mr. Simmons? I'm more on Philly's side than Ben's as far as culpability, but two things can be true. Doc is known to often be a jerk. Ben is known to be aloof and defensive. Whatever, I want a Simmons trade because we need another playmaker and defender, but only if he's willing to admit his mistakes and embrace the team. 

He should be called his name.  Too much to ask?

Btw, we call you Grumpy Cat behind you back.  And by 'we' I mean 'I'.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, thecampster said:

Simmons lost $19 million (bubble thought).

4% goes to the agent.  about 35% lost to federal tax. 3.07% tax in Pennsylvania. About 9% of what's left goes to SSI Medicare.  Formula looks something like

X*.96*.65*.96.97*.91.  

Depending on what Federal tax rate he's paying, he has actually lost closer to $10.9 million.  

Estimates on his net worth have him between $6 million and $10 million total with much of what he's bought in the last 5 years heavily mortgaged.  He gets an estimated $5 million in endorsements outside of Nike.  Of note here, his endorsement deal with Nike which can reach as much as $40 million total is highly incentivized. He is losing a great deal more daily by not playing than just his salary and fines.

Just a very detailed look at this from a high level view. There has to be a long game here because he's not long term rich from a net worth aspect vs obligations considering his young age.

It depends.  If the employer refers to it as a "penalty" or a "fine", he may not get any tax benefit from it.  I don't know how professional sports teams handle these types of issues, but since the "employee business expense" deduction was essentially done away with, everything will depend on how the employer treats the earnings or the reductions thereof.  It would be interesting to see how the league and teams treat "fines and penalties."  The key would be how it was treated on the player's W-2.

Off topic, but PA's tax rate is only 3.07%?  Wow, I would have never thought they'd have such a low rate.  I always thought GA had a decent tax rate structure, but it pales in comparison to PA.

18 minutes ago, kg01 said:

He should be called his name.  Too much to ask?

Btw, we call you Grumpy Cat behind you back.  And by 'we' I mean 'I'.

Intent and context.  Doc means to refer to him here as a kid as in "he's making dumb decisions because he's a kid". Its meant as a slight.

1 minute ago, Watchman said:

It depends.  If the employer refers to it as a "penalty" or a "fine", he may not get any tax benefit from it.  I don't know how professional sports teams handle these types of issues, but since the "employee business expense" deduction was essentially done away with, everything will depend on how the employer treats the earnings or the reductions thereof.  It would be interesting to see how the league and teams treat "fines and penalties."  The key would be how it was treated on the player's W-2.

Off topic, but PA's tax rate is only 3.07%?  Wow, I would have never thought they'd have such a low rate.  I always thought GA had a decent tax rate structure, but it pales in comparison to PA.

I should double check that but that's what my initial search showed.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Diesel said:

he brings defense and gets trae off ball

FYI, if looking for a really cheap place to live tax wise. Wyoming is highly subsidized by the federal government due to the large military vs civilian population.  No income tax, 4% sales tax and very low property taxes since most homes are not in city limits. Plus views like this: 

Jackson Hole, Wyoming—A Green Haven—Boasts Unbeatable Views and Dramatic  Ski Slopes - Mansion Global

Population density 5.8 people per square mile.

Georgia: 57 people per square mile.  Yup, 1 person in Wyoming per every 10 in Georgia per square mile.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
Just now, thecampster said:

FYI, if looking for a really cheap place to live tax wise. Wyoming is highly subsidized by the federal government due to the large military vs civilian population.  No income tax, 4% sales tax and very low property taxes since most homes are not in city limits. Plus views like this: 

Jackson Hole, Wyoming—A Green Haven—Boasts Unbeatable Views and Dramatic  Ski Slopes - Mansion Global

Population density 5.8 people per square mile.

Georgia: 57 people per square mile.  Yup, 1 person in Wyoming per every 10 in Georgia per square mile.

it's very windy there though

• Like 1