• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

My guy has talked around NBA circles of late

NBASupes

2 hours ago, thecampster said:

Simmons lost $19 million (bubble thought).

4% goes to the agent.  about 35% lost to federal tax. 3.07% tax in Pennsylvania. About 9% of what's left goes to SSI Medicare.  Formula looks something like

X*.96*.65*.96.97*.91.  

Depending on what Federal tax rate he's paying, he has actually lost closer to $10.9 million.  

Estimates on his net worth have him between $6 million and $10 million total with much of what he's bought in the last 5 years heavily mortgaged.  He gets an estimated $5 million in endorsements outside of Nike.  Of note here, his endorsement deal with Nike which can reach as much as $40 million total is highly incentivized. He is losing a great deal more daily by not playing than just his salary and fines.

Just a very detailed look at this from a high level view. There has to be a long game here because he's not long term rich from a net worth aspect vs obligations considering his young age.

There’s a cap on SSI and Medicare.  You stop paying after around $140k. It’s definitely not 9% of his total salary, not even close.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Final_quest said:

There’s a cap on SSI and Medicare.  You stop paying after around $140k. It’s definitely not 9% of his total salary, not even close.  

There's a cap on Social Security wages, but there is no cap on Medicare wages.

1 minute ago, Watchman said:

There's a cap on Social Security wages, but there is no cap on Medicare wages.

You are correct.  I'm sure you have a killer accountant when you have a salary like Ben Simmons, too.  If they are paying tax on their full salary, they are doing it wrong.    

6 minutes ago, thecampster said:

As soon as I earn that much, I let you know 🤫

#Goals.  I know a lot of people who read Rich Dad Poor Dad get the bug and change their position.  

This quote killed me: A salary is just the drug they give you when they want you to give up on your dreams.  

I left W2 income two years ago.  It's why I have more time to waste on Hawksquawk.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

#Goals.  I know a lot of people who read Rich Dad Poor Dad get the bug and change their position.  

This quote killed me: A salary is just the drug they give you when they want you to give up on your dreams.  

I left W2 income two years ago.  It's why I have more time to waste on Hawksquawk.  

What pays the bills?

12 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

What pays the bills?

Mostly short term vacation rentals.  I might go back to work at some point, but after 20 years of working behind a desk all day I'm enjoying not having to do as much.  It's wearing off, and I may do something more active that isn't W2 based where I still have freedom and peace.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Final_quest said:

Mostly short term vacation rentals.  I might go back to work at some point, but after 20 years of working behind a desk all day I'm enjoying not having to do as much.  It's wearing off, and I may do something more active that isn't W2 based where I still have freedom and peace.  

I got some real estate here in Cali? Let’s be neighbors like everyone and Tiger 🐅 in Florida? :indifferent:

I’ll even not wear my Hawks Cam jersey for ya! :eyebrow:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I got some real estate here in Cali? Let’s be neighbors like everyone and Tiger 🐅 in Florida? :indifferent:

I’ll even not wear my Hawks Cam jersey for ya! :eyebrow:

You want to do a deal, Spud?  Wear whatever you want.  You probably have more equity than me with one house in Cali.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

You want to do a deal, Spud?  Wear whatever you want.  You probably have more equity than me with one house in Cali.  

I’m honestly thinking about property in Tennessee, they are selling Tennessee as the new Seattle of the 90’s, everyone is moving there (not just Calvary and Cutler, ya @kg01, don’t act like you don’t know)… 

• Moderators
15 hours ago, thecampster said:

Well let's thought experiment that publicly. I'm under the impression that a no compete agreement isn't enforceable in most states. 1. Can you confirm, speak on that?  

The closest thing to an NBA contract I can think of is a no compete clause. Comparing an NBA gig to a normal job for purposes of ADA doesn't seem practical to me since an NBA contract amounts to rights ownership. CEOs sign similar agreements but can be restricted from working for a competitor for x time.  2. Are there any conditions where that agreement could be invalidated by the CEO? (IE...company disparaged him publicly etc...)

The closest thing to an NBA contract is a fixed term employment agreement which is not common in the US where most employment is "at-will."  

Non-compete agreements are enforceable in nearly all states but they aren't enforceable for all employees.  For example, there is no state where the guy cooking fries at a fast food restaurant is going to be subject to an enforceable non-compete.  However, almost all states will allow enforceable non-competes for employees like engineers, sales personnel, senior executives, etc.  These generally have to be limited in time, geography, industry, etc.  

The ADA is about requiring employers to provide accommodations to allow an employee to work for them.  If the disabled employee can't perform the essential functions of a job with or without accommodations, there is no duty to accommodate.  If the disabled employee can perform the essential functions of a job with accommodations, employers are generally required to implement those accommodations.  Common examples are things like allowing the disabled employee to sit on a stool rather than stand; providing a hoist to assist in lifting items above a restriction; providing unpaid leave for doctor's appointments, treatment, etc.  The goal of that law is to have the employer remove barriers to allow the employee return to work.  This law applies the same way regardless of whether the employee is subject to a non-compete, fixed term agreement, union contract, or is working in a standard at-will status.

2 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Should he call him Mr. Simmons? I'm more on Philly's side than Ben's as far as culpability, but two things can be true. Doc is known to often be a jerk. Ben is known to be aloof and defensive. Whatever, I want a Simmons trade because we need another playmaker and defender, but only if he's willing to admit his mistakes and embrace the team. 

See, I'm kind of on this as well. I'm not caught up in more on one side or the other but I do get why Ben is upset. I personally wouldn't have taken it this far but I get the reaction. I think any honest person looking at this has to look at both sides and want to put them both in time out. 

But to completely dismiss Ben's gripes I truly don't get. Just because you pay me a great salary, doesn't mean you get to dump on me when things don't go your way. 

I also don't dismiss management's gripe. I'm paying you, you're under contract. Get over it, lets handle this internally and lets get on the same page.

I'm not on a side here except the Hawks.

34 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

So sell drugs?

🤔

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

The closest thing to an NBA contract is a fixed term employment agreement which is not common in the US where most employment is "at-will."  

Non-compete agreements are enforceable in nearly all states but they aren't enforceable for all employees.  For example, there is no state where the guy cooking fries at a fast food restaurant is going to be subject to an enforceable non-compete.  However, almost all states will allow enforceable non-competes for employees like engineers, sales personnel, senior executives, etc.  These generally have to be limited in time, geography, industry, etc.  

The ADA is about requiring employers to provide accommodations to allow an employee to work for them.  If the disabled employee can't perform the essential functions of a job with or without accommodations, there is no duty to accommodate.  If the disabled employee can perform the essential functions of a job with accommodations, employers are generally required to implement those accommodations.  Common examples are things like allowing the disabled employee to sit on a stool rather than stand; providing a hoist to assist in lifting items above a restriction; providing unpaid leave for doctor's appointments, treatment, etc.  The goal of that law is to have the employer remove barriers to allow the employee return to work.  This law applies the same way regardless of whether the employee is subject to a non-compete, fixed term agreement, union contract, or is working in a standard at-will status.

yep, yep but I think we're saying similar things here. I think I'm saying I'm not sure this is an ADA thing and you're saying he doesn't have a leg to stand on via ADA.  I'm not stating ADA but I am saying this is a fixed term employment agreement.

Lets move to that. So in an FTE, under what terms can the employee or employer terminate that agreement? Again this is more your arena and yes on the non-compete. I should have said non-competes don't apply to most employees. Non-enforceable was bad phrasing.

So Georgia law: the 4 categories for non-compete would be

• Sales staff
  • Vital employees or company professionals
  • Employees in management positions
  • Employees who regularly solicit business from customers

I would assume its easy to say an NBA player is a vital employee so that fits here as well.

50 minutes ago, kg01 said:

So sell drugs?

🤔

Actually, I was in cannabis for a few months with a CBD manufacturer.  It was terrible and crazy.  I almost did a deal with the high priest of the Satanic temple who is a big player in CBD.  I told the CEO you just signed a deal with the devil, but it never ended up happening which was pretty much all of my deals in CBD.  The weirdest industry I've ever seen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Admin
3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Hawks keeping an eye on Josh Hart?

Josh Hart is also a player to keep an eye on, thanks to his team-friendly contract, which is non-guaranteed next season, as noted on our Pelicans salary page. Some teams have liked him from afar. One of those teams is Atlanta.

I always liked Josh Hart … not going to get you 20 but he is a solid defender who can hit the three … would be a nice addition for the bench