• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

My guy has talked around NBA circles of late

NBASupes

6 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Yeah.  I want to enjoy another playoff appearance as much as anyone, but the reality of this season is what it is.  It will be an uphill battle whether we trade or not.  So if it's possible to make a trade that will make the team better for the next several years - even if that means it takes time to build chemistry this season - then so be it.  

I'm just saying I don't want Travis thinking "I shouldn't pull the trigger on this big trade because we are fringe playoffs this year and it'll make it harder to get there this season."   This season is a wash at this point.  If we make it, GREAT!  If not, 🤷‍♂️

So the Hawks are 4.5 games out of the top 6. I can easily count 10 games that could have gone either way if we hadn't had tons of people out in COVID protocols or a healthy Deandre/BB or the few we lost early in the season due to the over enforcement of the NBA's focus on players creating their own contact.  As easily as we're 24-26 (which is about as bad as it could be for us at this point) a 10 game swing would be 34-16 and tops in the East. The whole season is a cluster but it isn't worth throwing the towel in on either. We are, if healthy, probably the most dangerous team in the East.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Yeah.  I want to enjoy another playoff appearance as much as anyone, but the reality of this season is what it is.  It will be an uphill battle whether we trade or not.  So if it's possible to make a trade that will make the team better for the next several years - even if that means it takes time to build chemistry this season - then so be it.  

I'm just saying I don't want Travis thinking "I shouldn't pull the trigger on this big trade because we are fringe playoffs this year and it'll make it harder to get there this season."   This season is a wash at this point.  If we make it, GREAT!  If not, 🤷‍♂️

Trade or no trade, we are likely heading for a play in where we have to win one or two games. So let's think long term with these trades. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, thecampster said:

So the Hawks are 4.5 games out of the top 6. I can easily count 10 games that could have gone either way if we hadn't had tons of people out in COVID protocols or a healthy Deandre/BB or the few we lost early in the season due to the over enforcement of the NBA's focus on players creating their own contact.  As easily as we're 24-26 (which is about as bad as it could be for us at this point) a 10 game swing would be 34-16 and tops in the East. The whole season is a cluster but it isn't worth throwing the towel in on either. We are, if healthy, probably the most dangerous team in the East.

I agree with this.  I think the Hawks, when healthy and all available, are probably a Top 3 team in the East and can ABSOLUTELY due damage in the playoffs.  But can they win a title?  And would a trade make it more likely to win a title in the coming seasons?  Those are the questions the GM has to determine the answers to.  And I'm just saying, if it was me, I wouldn't prioritize THIS season over future seasons, at least not completely.  If we play for this season there's no guarantee guys won't get hurt again or suffer covid again.  So I'm just saying do whatever you need to do to put the organization in the best place for multiple seasons.  If that means making it a little tougher this year, so be it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, REHawksFan said:

I agree with this.  I think the Hawks, when healthy and all available, are probably a Top 3 team in the East and can ABSOLUTELY due damage in the playoffs.  But can they win a title?  And would a trade make it more likely to win a title in the coming seasons?  Those are the questions the GM has to determine the answers to.  And I'm just saying, if it was me, I wouldn't prioritize THIS season over future seasons, at least not completely.  If we play for this season there's no guarantee guys won't get hurt again or suffer covid again.  So I'm just saying do whatever you need to do to put the organization in the best place for multiple seasons.  If that means making it a little tougher this year, so be it. 

Even if we did trade for Simmons, as long as he's playing for us by March that should be enough time to ramp up for the play-in. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bleachkit said:

Even if we did trade for Simmons, as long as he's playing for us by March that should be enough time to ramp up for the play-in. 

Yeah.  By all accounts Ben has been practicing on his own and staying in shape.  I'd hope that would translate into a pretty quick availability on his part.  And I suspect it would since it's been said that he wants to play with Trae as much as Trae wants to play with him.  The question would be how quickly the guys on the court would figure out their roles and how to fit together.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thecampster said:

Let me weigh in. This is not available for public consumption. Sothron and I compared notes and didn't even go into detail with each other. What we had, lined up completely without prompting. There is no imminent trade or signing that I know of, so we can stop speculating there. There is also no guarantee this will ever make the media and we probably should have conducted this business offline. Sorry if this got any anyone's panties twerked. I can't and won't speak on it further. 

Lol it was really just a guess I’m not trying to work anyone up and certainly not myself. Im not worried about what Schlenk decides to do personally but I do like to guess his moves just like many on this board.

again I was honestly taking “a guess” …wasn’t speaking on any facts to those who may have thought I was and not trying to get our BIG 3 in any trouble (if that’s even possible).

I was ONLY speculating possibilities…that’s what we ALL do when you 3 drop information even if it’s two words. Maybe I took it too deep in terms of my guess along with details that “sound really good” depending on who’s reading it. 😏

For that I apologize to the worked up newbie’s  I overhyped 😞……

I can’t help that I’m a damn good storyteller and predictor 😏

That’s right! We’re getting Simmons folks! Start the parade! 😈

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I disagree that losing the next 4 would be the empitus for a massive overhaul midseason. 4 games separate the 7-12 seeds. If the Hawks lose the next 4, it will require all the teams above and below us to win all 4 to drastically alter the standings. And I think it's more about how we are playing over the next 4 games vs the actual W/L record that will drive minor changes if they happen.

As long as we have a chance at the play-in games, I don't anticipate us making a drastic overhaul of the team midseason. 

This is fair.

• Haha 1

• Moderators

If the Hawks did a trade for Simmons it would be for the long-term.  They would hope to get him integrated and the team rolling this year but it would be more about the next 5 years than the next few months.

I guess from my perspective, I can't see it making much difference either way what our record looks like between now and the trade deadline.  I imagine TS has a view on what he is willing to pay for Simmons and what he isn't.  We'll either match that or not and whether we win 4 or lose 4 won't make a difference.

• Like 4

• Premium Member

I think we need to understand that Travis' job is to build a team. 

I think he's done that.  Getting Simmons would mean that he would have to do it over.  The Combination of Trae, Simmons, and OO if everybody is in their right mind is one that is great.  We would just have to find the right peices to go with it. 

Namely shooters. 

I think Bogi and Gallo becomes more important.  One of Kev or Hunter would have to go.. and we'd have to move Clint too. 

IF we did take Harris which I believe Philly wouldn't budge on because they don't need two PFs.   It clears out our team but we'd have to make moves.

It would have to be:

Bogi, Gallo, JC, and a pick  for Simmons/Harris. 

Trae, Simmons, Hunter, Harris, OO

with 
Lou, Delon, TLC, JJ, Clint off the bench.

Yeah... we'd need some more shooters. 

11 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Just as a fan speaking  here the pairing of Simmons and OO on defense would be amazing. Imagine teams being scared of playing Atlanta because of how good our defense is.

I'd love that.  I'd be dancin like ...

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47yt6m4hzdwofkymg2d5

You're welcome.

3 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

It seems like Morey wants an established wing or shooting guard more so than a power forward. 

Guy wants Harden.  Nothing more, nothing less.  I'm rooting so hard for the threat of a tanking investigation resulting in the star-crossed lovers being kept apart.

• Haha 3

• Premium Member
Just now, kg01 said:

I'd love that.  I'd be dancin like ...

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47yt6m4hzdwofkymg2d5

You're welcome.

Guy wants Harden.  Nothing more, nothing less.  I'm rooting so hard for the threat of a tanking investigation resulting in the star-crossed lovers being kept apart.

Can't get past that gif to read the rest of your post. Oh, Katy. You are a delight.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, warcore said:

I like the trade but do you think ownership would go into the tax for it?

for that, yes but remember that you are taxed on your salary at the end of the year. A salary dump of just $5 million pulls them back out of the tax. So a second trade for cap relief fixes that problem. So its not quite that simple.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2