• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hardly-Hawks at Bulls

lethalweapon3

Trae is obviously an incredible player, but he can only do so much with his physical limitations and a GLeague roster around him. It's too easy to key in on him and bother him with length when you don't respect anyone else on the floor. And people always seem to ignore this, but it's not uncommon for Trae to look pretty gassed out there. There's a reason his 4th quarter numbers take such a hit. They want him to play more, do more, but that's obviously not his game right now. Especially when he has to do all of the heavy lifting.

• Like 3

Just now, terrell said:

Didnt say that...

You said he's such a good leader and you don't think the Hawks t have one.

I gave you their record with Ja and you claimed them having the 4th seed with a losing record at the time somehow made him a leader and then you brought up him hitting a game winning shot.

I'm saying that coach has something to do with how good Memphis is. Ja too, but just because they are winning doesn't make him a great leader like y'all are professing.  Leaders are born when you are losing too.

Like I'm with northside when he says he didn't like Trae's approach tonight. He just seemed like he accepted the loss in the first half with his lack of effort on the defensive end. 

If the Hawks had no leaders, they wouldn't have made their run last year.  Winning like they did on the road and showing all that fight was someone keeping the team's head in the game.

We are still a young team and unfortunately this COVID crap is going to cause us to have a hell of a hole to dig out of . 

With that said, the team has to start holding themselves accountable on the defensive end.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, marco102 said:

John Collins, Trae Young, Gallo, Lou, and Solomon Hill from what I've read. 

Again, I understand you are frustrated and are venting.

And the Grizzlies were winning more without Ja so how does that make him such a great leader? It's their coach you should be giving the credit to.  He's been excellent since he's gone over there.

I'm in the Grizzlies market, so I watch them all the time.  Dillon Brooks is the leader of the Grizzlies.  But he will defer to Ja on the court, and let him be the engine.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I'm in the Grizzlies market, so I watch them all the time.  Dillon Brooks is the leader of the Grizzlies.  But he will defer to Ja on the court, and let him be the engine.

Taylor Jenkins is their leader because they've been winning without Ja and Brooks...lol.

Some time y'all just have to give a coach credit. 

I guess you mean Brooks is their ra ra guy on the court? I was watching him get cooked by Steph and he sure wasn't looking much like a leader then.

Edited by marco102

7 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Grizzlies record with Brooks is 102-141...He Cant be the leader.... lol. Kidding.

5 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Taylor Jenkins is their leader because they've been winning without Ja and Brooks...lol.

I guess you mean Brooks is their ra ra guy on the court? I was watching him get cooked by Steph and he sure wasn't looking much like a leader then.

Yeah hes coaching his ass off.....

Edited by terrell

7 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Brooks is their defensive tone setter, so he's the one that does most of the talking out on the court, as well as the 2nd option scoring for the Griz.

Taylor Jenkins has done an outstanding job coaching up the Griz this year.  He deserves some love for Coach of the Year.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, High5 said:

Trae is obviously an incredible player, but he can only do so much with his physical limitations and a GLeague roster around him. It's too easy to key in on him and bother him with length when you don't respect anyone else on the floor. And people always seem to ignore this, but it's not uncommon for Trae to look pretty gassed out there. There's a reason his 4th quarter numbers take such a hit. They want him to play more, do more, but that's obviously not his game right now. Especially when he has to do all of the heavy lifting.

This^.

I wish the guys who are supposed to be our defenders do their part in the heavy lifting department. Not saying Trae cannot be better on defense.

Travis surrounded his offensive engine with 'defenders' - still waiting on them to do their part. Be the Yang to Trae's Ying.

(And this IS NOT in reference to these ShitShow games the NBA is making us play).

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, marco102 said:

You said he's such a good leader and you don't think the Hawks t have one.

I gave you their record with Ja and you claimed them having the 4th seed with a losing record at the time somehow made him a leader and then you brought up him hitting a game winning shot.

I'm saying that coach has something to do with how good Memphis is. Ja too, but just because they are winning doesn't make him a great leader like y'all are professing.  Leaders are born when you are losing too.

Like I'm with northside when he says he didn't like Trae's approach tonight. He just seemed like he accepted the loss in the first half with his lack of effort on the defensive end. 

If the Hawks had no leaders, they wouldn't have made their run last year.  Winning like they did on the road and showing all that fight was someone keeping the team's head in the game.

We are still a young team and unfortunately this COVID crap is going to cause us to have a hell of a hole to dig out of . 

With that said, the team has to start holding themselves accountable on the defensive end.

Solo on JaMorant

I think that’s it. That calm. He’s not overly trying to compensate or trying to show doubters. He’s not going out there every night to try and make a name for himself. He goes out there and he just plays the game how he knows how to play. I think that sense of calm that we get from him, it radiates through the locker room, cause we’re all out there for him. The plays that he’s making, you know, everyone just gravitates to him and we’re ready to ride with him. And that’s tough because the point guard position is probably one of the most competitive positions in the league. Especially with how the game has changed with how you have more scoring guards in today’s game than anything, but he has that dog in him. He wants to go out and compete with the best of them and he brings it Every Single Night.

48 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Trae and Ja play differently.  I don't think that's going to change nor should it.   Trae establishes as he goes. I actually like that because Sometimes, Trae's shot is not there.   The thing to understand about Trae is that he needs a consistent second guy.  Normally that's  JC.. that's why JC gets the big bucks.  He helps establish Trae and vice versa.  When I say that our identity is Trae and Teamwork this is what I mean.. both offense and defense feeds off of a total team dynamic. 

Trae's responsibility is larger than Ja's, because Trae has to create offensive looks for so many people.  Trae has to create offense for our spot up shooters who have trouble sometimes creating their own shot, as well as for our big men who can score off of lobs and dunks, but have trouble scoring off post moves.  And Trae even has to score a high volume of points, due to our inability to stop people.  So he has a lot on his plate.

39 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Does anyone care to post our covid timeline to see when we might get guys back?

The other thing we need to know is who may be actually sick with COVID, and who are asymptomatic?

Gallo, TLC, Lou, and Sharife are due back for the Cleveland game, if they aren't showing symptoms.  Everyone else except Bogi and Dieng should be back for the Portland game.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, terrell said:

Solo on JaMorant

I think that’s it. That calm. He’s not overly trying to compensate or trying to show doubters. He’s not going out there every night to try and make a name for himself. He goes out there and he just plays the game how he knows how to play. I think that sense of calm that we get from him, it radiates through the locker room, cause we’re all out there for him. The plays that he’s making, you know, everyone just gravitates to him and we’re ready to ride with him. And that’s tough because the point guard position is probably one of the most competitive positions in the league. Especially with how the game has changed with how you have more scoring guards in today’s game than anything, but he has that dog in him. He wants to go out and compete with the best of them and he brings it Every Single Night.

Do you want me to pull up quotes talking about Trae?

You said we don't have leaders.

41 minutes ago, Diesel said:

My friend, you're working on two false premises.   First.. They can't play defense.   We do play defense when we have all of our pieces.   Right now, we're changing so many faces that a defensive scheme is a hard thing. 

2nd... We don't produce enough on offense. 

Right now we're 12th in PPG,  13th in FG%, and 1st in 3pt%.....

I get that we don't have all of our pieces, which is why I'm not tripping over all of this losing lately.  But we should be at least .500 right now.  Losing home games to Houston and Orlando should be unacceptable.

We're 3rd in the league in Offensive efficiency.  Here are our 4 Factors rankings:

• eFG% - 11th - ( which should be top 5, seeing that we're #2 in 3pt%  . . so that means we're missing a lot of 2 pt shots )
  • TO% - 5th - ( despite all of the crying about Trae's turnovers )
  • OReb% - 9th - ( which should be expected with Capela, but a lot of those are him rebounding his own misses )
  • FT/FGA - 11th - ( we were #1 last year, because of Trae's ability to draw fouls )
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, High5 said:

Agreed.  Which means he needs to pick and choose his spots to be aggressive.

In a game like tonight, I wanted to see him come out the same way he came out at home vs the Bulls.  He and Cam were ultra aggressive early, and established a lead. 

I needed Trae to have that Allen Iverson type aggression tonight.  He made a comment after the game tonight saying that he didn't know 3/4 of his teammates at shootaround.   

OK . . that's cool.  So if you're playing in a pickup game, how would he approach that?  He'd look for his offense first, then see what the other guys can do.  A few guys showed that they could make a shot, you may look to get them the ball later on, when the other team started to really try to stop you.

I just wanted to see his competitiveness tonight.  He showed it in the 2nd half, but I don't think his mindset was where it should've been in the 1st.

10 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Do you want me to pull up quotes talking about Trae?

You said we don't have leaders.

Solo has been here a while and Ive never heard him speak about Trae like this....They just exchange silly tweets.. lol