• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hardly-Hawks at Bulls

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Don’t forget Kenny (not Supes) Gattison, baby “Kengat” if you will. Also remember their backup being this guy.. 😂 

image.gif.50488d15813bf863d1415211c745e86b.gif

I remember those guys. I always laughed when Tony Bennett came out to backup Muggsy and it was like...wait, Tony Bennett? For realsies? It was a decent backup PG at least. I also remember Newman, David Wingate and Gminski the backup center. 

So if you watch this Hornets team you will get some of that vibe. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Final_quest said:

Honestly it’s confusing as hell trying to assess how good this team will be at full strength.  Or what that means when guys are injured all the time.

All I know is we can play better.  So far we haven’t looked like a top 4 team at any point.  

Unfortunately, we are not a team with a big three.  We are a team built on all of the parts working together.   So when an OO is out, we feel it.  When a Gallo and JC is out... We feel it.   I'm surprised that these last two Chicago games were as close as they were because basically, it was Trae and Clint.   We put guys on the floor that can't even hit a free throw. 

I think we have the pieces for a championship team.   We just have to have them on the floor at the same time.  It's like the Detroit team after they got Sheed.  When they were healthy, nobody could beat them.  However, if one player was not there, it was trouble. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Sothron said:

Remember the good old Hornets of LJ, Zo, Muggsy, Curry and Gill? Those teams were just flat out fun to watch. This Hornets team now is a lot like that. Ball is amazing. Rozier is a killer, Miles Bridges has taken the next step up and they have McRib. That team is a LOT of fun to watch.

I'm not going to down talk the Hornets.  I think they are a good young squad.. just like ours.  Ball is a maestro.   Somebody said that they don't play defense??  They cause more turnovers than we do.   They just don't have any strong individual defenders.... except maybe Bridges. 

If we were 100% and they were 100% do I believe that we can beat them?  Yes.  I won't say easily but I say we'd win the series in 6 games.  Right now the only teams that give me pause in the east are Chicago and Milwaukee.    I think if we have to face both of those teams in the playoffs, it's going to be hard.   Miami is very good but doesn't put that kind of fear in me.   The key for us now is win what we can... get healthy and develop chemistry. 

Skylar is getting the best look that he could've ever gotten. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

@terrell comon make the bet. If you make the bet I’ll believe what you think is actually the truth in what you believe but if not, your just blowing smoke up my skirt .

5 and 6 spot is not out of the realm of possibility if we can go on a winning streak.. 4 is imo....Just because I cant see the top 4 teams going on long losing streaks....Bet me top 4 then? lol

1 hour ago, terrell said:

5 and 6 spot is not out of the realm of possibility if we can go on a winning streak.. 4 is imo....Just because I cant see the top 4 teams going on long losing streaks....Bet me top 4 then? lol

Lol but initially we were talkin 4-6. 

5 hours ago, Diesel said:

Unfortunately, we are not a team with a big three.  We are a team built on all of the parts working together.   So when an OO is out, we feel it.  When a Gallo and JC is out... We feel it.   I'm surprised that these last two Chicago games were as close as they were because basically, it was Trae and Clint.   We put guys on the floor that can't even hit a free throw. 

I think we have the pieces for a championship team.   We just have to have them on the floor at the same time.  It's like the Detroit team after they got Sheed.  When they were healthy, nobody could beat them.  However, if one player was not there, it was trouble. 

Any comparison to the Detroit team model is a red flag to me.  When did Chicago start winning?  They got some guys that are all stars and added them to the team.  

• Moderators
Just now, Final_quest said:

Any comparison to the Detroit team model is a red flag to me.  When did Chicago start winning?  They got some guys that are all stars and added them to the team.  

Well I think we're more like the Isiah pistons other than the thuggery.  One HOF star and a bunch of really good players.

Bulls, i had to look up that Vuc went to the all star game.   Ok i guess he's an all star.   But it's hard to make the case that we don't have better talent than the Bulls.  Their #2 is just better than our #2.  Of course maybe that's the point you are making! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Well I think we're more like the Isiah pistons other than the thuggery.  One HOF star and a bunch of really good players.

Bulls, i had to look up that Vuc went to the all star game.   Ok i guess he's an all star.   But it's hard to make the case that we don't have better talent than the Bulls.  Their #2 is just better than our #2.  Of course maybe that's the point you are making! 

Yes, the Bulls #2 is better by a mile.  Basketball has five players.  The best 2-3 players win the game for you.

Both of the Pistons teams had defense at their core.  Trae is so different.  Maybe we compare best to some of the Harden Rockets teams.  Although Harden was ISO, the offense and team was centered on him.  He had to win the game for them.  

11 hours ago, Diesel said:

I'm not going to down talk the Hornets.  I think they are a good young squad.. just like ours.  Ball is a maestro.   Somebody said that they don't play defense??  They cause more turnovers than we do.   They just don't have any strong individual defenders.... except maybe Bridges. 

If we were 100% and they were 100% do I believe that we can beat them?  Yes.  I won't say easily but I say we'd win the series in 6 games.  Right now the only teams that give me pause in the east are Chicago and Milwaukee.    I think if we have to face both of those teams in the playoffs, it's going to be hard.   Miami is very good but doesn't put that kind of fear in me.   The key for us now is win what we can... get healthy and develop chemistry. 

Skylar is getting the best look that he could've ever gotten. 

LOL Somebody.  People have to start saying names around here. 

I was the one who said that they don't play defense . . because they don't.

They're 29th in the league in defense. Dead last in the league in points given up.   The league shoots almost 47% FG against the Hornets.  They don't stop anybody.

But they can put the ball in the basket.  They're a top 3 offensive team in the league.  And Melo is a great guard that deserves to make the All-Star team this season.

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, Final_quest said:

Levine was already good.  I wanted him when Chicago Sucked.  They added Derozen and I have99problemsand Vucevich aint one... and they are right there.  They have a big three of sorts.  Not to mention Ball. 

We really don't have a big three.  We are a PG led team.  You don't like the Detroit model, but that's what we have... sorta.  Maybe closer to the Bad Boys model because they were strongly PG led with a lot of Depth.   Only thing is Bogi ain't Dumars.

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Just read this after I responded in the other post.

But the comparison to us and Chicago is here..

OFFensively, Chicago is a Beast.

Ball can run the show.  Levine is a high percentage three point shooter.   Derozen's midrange game is very good.  Vuc can rebound and will score and he can step outside.  You can put them up against anybody in the East and they will be a problem.  They way that they will be beat is a team with Good defense.  Statistically, offensively, they are very similar to us.  I think they own the midrange though.   We have other things that are better but they are right there.   The problem is defense... like us.  But they are better at doing it than us. 

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, Final_quest said:

Yes, the Bulls #2 is better by a mile.  Basketball has five players.  The best 2-3 players win the game for you.

Both of the Pistons teams had defense at their core.  Trae is so different.  Maybe we compare best to some of the Harden Rockets teams.  Although Harden was ISO, the offense and team was centered on him.  He had to win the game for them.  

Not really.

We have to look at both team while healthy.   Basketball is a team sport.   We are much deeper than them.  The only difference right now is healthy and who can get the most players on the floor. 

• Like 2

On 12/30/2021 at 9:03 AM, Sothron said:

Remember the good old Hornets of LJ, Zo, Muggsy, Curry and Gill? Those teams were just flat out fun to watch. This Hornets team now is a lot like that. Ball is amazing. Rozier is a killer, Miles Bridges has taken the next step up and they have McRib. That team is a LOT of fun to watch.

I agree that they're a fun team to watch.  The over the top announcer ( Eric Collins ) is perfect for that team.

2 hours ago, Diesel said:

Not really.

We have to look at both team while healthy.   Basketball is a team sport.   We are much deeper than them.  The only difference right now is healthy and who can get the most players on the floor. 

My quote was their #2 player was better than ours by a mile. Levine and Derozan are both getting MVP mentions.  

If we just compare teams, I think Chicago is better right now.  We have to demonstrate that we are still the team that closed out last season 27-11 and went to the ECF.  At least go 7-3 or 8-2 for ten games.  No one outside of Hawks fan community is calling us equal or better than Chicago at the moment.

It will be fun to see how we play when most of the team comes back. The beginning of the season there was chemistry and scheme problems when everyone was playing.  We went on one winning streak with Hunter and Cam out and Capela getting into game shape.  We have so far never played well with our team at full strength, but we’ve only seen that in small doses.  

58 minutes ago, marco102 said:

He was my favorite 10 day contract player.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

My quote was their #2 player was better than ours by a mile. Levine and Derozan are both getting MVP mentions.  

If we just compare teams, I think Chicago is better right now.  We have to demonstrate that we are still the team that closed out last season 27-11 and went to the ECF.  At least go 7-3 or 8-2 for ten games.  No one outside of Hawks fan community is calling us equal or better than Chicago at the moment.

It will be fun to see how we play when most of the team comes back. The beginning of the season there was chemistry and scheme problems when everyone was playing.  We went on one winning streak with Hunter and Cam out and Capela getting into game shape.  We have so far never played well with our team at full strength, but we’ve only seen that in small doses.  

He was my favorite 10 day contract player.  

Only Hunter was out during the seven game winning streak.

• Thanks 1